Really excited about doing my first LD ride ever!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pista

Reaction score
I keep hearing about all the fun and adventure everyone has while riding. Cool stories, great pics. The problem is until recently, I never imagined myself actually doing the "touring". But that's changing in 2014. Why don't I see what it's all about. Besides I am 51, and definitely not getting any younger.

There was a 30 year stretch that I didn't own or ride a motorcycle. Then two years ago I bought an SV1000S. Fantastic bike, fast, lovely V-twin growl, loved it for around town. But not very comfortable. I sold it and starting thinking about getting something more suitable for trying out this sport touring thing. Found it! A low mile '05 ABS, Galaxy Blue. That led me to this forum.

I live in Cleveland, OH. My son is a Marine stationed at MCAS Cherry Point, NC. The winding roads and mountains of WV, VA, and NC lie in between. Sure I could cage it. But it sounds like the first leg of a motorcycle road-trip to me.

Then there's my brother and his family in Naples, FL. Why not. Haven't seen them in awhile. Might as well go for it. My wife did give me the okay for a week on my own before our family vacation.

So my plan is to do the scenic routes heading south. Looks like RT 250 in OH heading south, then? Then slab it on I-77 coming back. Definitely would love some input on routes that would be best.

So the pieces start coming together for my first ever ride out of OH. And my personal "longest ever" 300 mile day should be toast by June. Looking forward to this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to hearing about all this. Good for you... that cha finally got this trip set in your sights. You and I have a little in common. I didn't own a motorcycle for about 21 years. Then after all that time, I got the itch again. Glad I found a 91 Suzuki GSX1100G to scratch it with, temporarily. It was replaced with my FJR. You said you've been enjoying the ride reports around here. Ya gotta check out mine here CLICKY (better get a large cup of coffee and a couple hours of spare time to read this one, it's over 20,000 words)

-- or one of our most viewed (and enjoyed) threads here CLICKY2 It's called Alaskan adventure by Frenchy750... a must - read.

Enjoy...

Gary

darksider #44

Just checked your miles for your trip, I have you around 3k if you slab to and from Florida.

Make sure your seat is good for 500 mile days - or I should say - Make sure you are good with your seat.

And understand that once you get the "Bug" Your life will change!

Enjoy your ride!

I too took a break (23 yrs), and went straight to the FJR. Last year I took 2, count 'em 2, solo trips up to the Smokey Mountains. It surpassed any hope I had for fun and adventure, and all I want now is to ride some more trips!

You are going to have one of the most memorable times of your life. Soak it up, all of it, because it will be over, and you will relive it over and over in your mind when you are back home.

Congrats and stay safe!

Good for you! Well done.

I'm not an experienced long-distance tourer, but here's a lesson I learned on a multi-state trip I did with a buddy a few years ago:

We slept in (ish). And then we found ourselves getting to a motel at 9PM or later every night. So what I will do next time is set the alarm for 6. Be on the road by 7. Ride for a couple hours. Have breakfast. Ride for another several hours. Have lunch. Ride for another several hours. Stop at 6. Relax. Shower. Eat. Go to bed at a decent hour. Rinse. Repeat. Wake up refreshed. (And oh yeah: take 2000 milligrams each morning of Tylenol.)

As a warm up to you big adventure pick a destination about 450- 500 miles away and do a over nighter - ride there and back. Gives you a chance to pace yourself, get to know what works for you as far as gear and where to carry it along with hydration, snacks etc.

JB is right to get an early start to the day other wise you will end up chasing the clock and that is not a good way to make distance. I hope he meant 200 ml of tylenol not 2000.

Plan your days according to the type of roads you will be riding, less miles on the twisty days and more on the slab days. I stepped over to LD riding 15 years ago and just enjoy multi state rides.

Pictures...take lots of pictures. It's so fun to go back and look at you trips as the years go by.

Sounds like a great trip. You should join us for the SE Ohio Ramble, May 2-4 as a warm up for your trip.

P.S. if you'd like some help with routes out of Ohio and through WV, maybe we could get together and discuss some options. PM me if you'd like.

One tip I will offer in regards to ride comfort. If you normally ride with your seat in the low position, try it in the high setting. I can ride with the stock seat in either position, I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I normally for commuting and around town keep my seat in the low setting. On a long trip I put it in the higher setting. This 3/4" added seat height stretches my legs out just a little bit more and makes the ride a little more comfortable on the long stretches of slab.

I think the idea of doing the twisty sections at the beginning of your trip when you're fresh and excited about your journey is a smart idea. I take a couple of ibuprofen before I leave in the morning and about every 6 hours along the way when on a long trip. I've got some lower back trouble and this keeps it at bay. I like to keep some bottled water and protien bars handy so I can take a drink or grab a quick snack when I feel the need.Beef jerky is great for this too.

Although GPS has come a long way I still carry paper maps as a backup. I also pack as light as possible and carry extra cash. Somehow I always forget something no matter how well I think I've planned or how many lists I make.

Enjoy the ride.

I too had a 30 year plus break from bike ownership and went straight to my FJR, the best bike buying decision I ever made.

Also prepping for a much more modest day long trip this weekend, still getting hyped about it though.....will be my longest ride in all these years and an opportunity to test out some of the farkles I've splashed out on!!

Have a great trip and when you're passing by Tampa let me know if you fancy a meet up.

Steve

I agree with C-Gar Joe, join us at SEO for a warm up prior to your big adventure.

I guess us guys are early birding it, arriving May 1st ;)

KJ (topspeed)

Stan (steamer)

Mike (wine guy)

What is your timing (Month) ? Seat ?

How many days are you planning for each "Leg"? and how many hours a day in the saddle?
My window is last week of April thru June.

Corbin heated Dual Canyon

Day 1. I'd like to leave about 5am, ride about 10 hrs/450 miles to Roanoke, VA.

Day 2. Leave about 5am, ride the remaining 6hrs/310 miles to Cherry Point. Visit my son.

Day 3. Ride as far south as I can

Day 4. Finish riding to Naples. 13hrs/ 900miles (2 day total)

Day 5. Relax

Day 6. Relax

Day 7. Leave 5am, ride 9hrs/650miles

Day 8. Leave Ride 9hrs/650miles arrive home.

One tip I will offer in regards to ride comfort. If you normally ride with your seat in the low position, try it in the high setting. I can ride with the stock seat in either position, I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I normally for commuting and around town keep my seat in the low setting. On a long trip I put it in the higher setting. This 3/4" added seat height stretches my legs out just a little bit more and makes the ride a little more comfortable on the long stretches of slab.
Gen 1 so no adjustments on seat height.

I think the idea of doing the twisty sections at the beginning of your trip when you're fresh and excited about your journey is a smart idea. I take a couple of ibuprofen before I leave in the morning and about every 6 hours along the way when on a long trip. I've got some lower back trouble and this keeps it at bay. I like to keep some bottled water and protien bars handy so I can take a drink or grab a quick snack when I feel the need.Beef jerky is great for this too.
Although GPS has come a long way I still carry paper maps as a backup. I also pack as light as possible and carry extra cash. Somehow I always forget something no matter how well I think I've planned or how many lists I make.

Enjoy the ride.
Great info.

Sounds like a great trip. You should join us for the SE Ohio Ramble, May 2-4 as a warm up for your trip.
P.S. if you'd like some help with routes out of Ohio and through WV, maybe we could get together and discuss some options. PM me if you'd like.
Not certain about the Ramble Joe.

However I'd like to do a couple of rides if you guys promise to keep it in third gear as my abilities are not quite in the same league as most of you.

The route so far is I-77 to US-250 through Monterey, VA.

Then continue on US-220 to Roanoke, VA

Pick up US-460 just east of Roanoke, VA

Continue on 47 to Chase City

Find US-1 and head south to NC

Head towards Rocky Mount on RT-43

As a warm up to you big adventure pick a destination about 450- 500 miles away and do a over nighter - ride there and back. Gives you a chance to pace yourself, get to know what works for you as far as gear and where to carry it along with hydration, snacks etc.JB is right to get an early start to the day other wise you will end up chasing the clock and that is not a good way to make distance. I hope he meant 200 ml of tylenol not 2000.

Plan your days according to the type of roads you will be riding, less miles on the twisty days and more on the slab days. I stepped over to LD riding 15 years ago and just enjoy multi state rides.

Pictures...take lots of pictures. It's so fun to go back and look at you trips as the years go by.
Thanks for the tips. Not sure I can squeeze in an over-nighter but I can possibly substitute with a couple of back to back 450-500 mile days.

My only advice is to make sure you have new tires before you leave.

You may only have 1000 2000 at the most on miles on yours? They should last the trip, huh?

No. Save them for close to home rippin.

Again. NEW tires before you go play far away from home. Especially in them crookedy roads over there.

Just said and enough sayin......

:)

Good for you! Well done.
I'm not an experienced long-distance tourer, but here's a lesson I learned on a multi-state trip I did with a buddy a few years ago:

We slept in (ish). And then we found ourselves getting to a motel at 9PM or later every night. So what I will do next time is set the alarm for 6. Be on the road by 7. Ride for a couple hours. Have breakfast. Ride for another several hours. Have lunch. Ride for another several hours. Stop at 6. Relax. Shower. Eat. Go to bed at a decent hour. Rinse. Repeat. Wake up refreshed. (And oh yeah: take 2000 milligrams each morning of Tylenol.)
Detailed in the Best. Ride report. Ever.

Just a thought...if you're planning on riding about 10 hours and stopping the first day in the Roanoke area...maybe go about 30 miles farther on 460 and stop in Bedford VA.Bedford VA is home to the National D-Day Memorial,it's well worth visiting and a good way to spend a couple hours before heading to your motel for the night.

A couple thoughts on making your first long distance ride more comfortable...

Wear earplugs...cutting down on wind noise will make the ride much less tiring.

Don't wear cotton underwear,cotton can be irritating on a long haul,get some kind of synthetic wicking material like something from Ex Officio.Also...bicycle shorts or dedicated riding shorts from LD Comfort or Aerostitch add another level of comfort.

I hope you you enjoy your trip.

Not certain about the Ramble Joe.

However I'd like to do a couple of rides if you guys promise to keep it in third gear as my abilities are not quite in the same league as most of you.
I'm always up for a ride. Let me know when you'd like to go.

P.S.

Don't forget a patch/plug kit or sticky strings and a pump (something like a Slime or similar) for the trip. Don't ask me how I know that having both is very important.

Looking forward to hearing about all this. Good for you... that cha finally got this trip set in your sights. You and I have a little in common. I didn't own a motorcycle for about 21 years. Then after all that time, I got the itch again. Glad I found a 91 Suzuki GSX1100G to scratch it with, temporarily. It was replaced with my FJR. You said you've been enjoying the ride reports around here. Ya gotta check out mine here CLICKY (better get a large cup of coffee and a couple hours of spare time to read this one, it's over 20,000 words) -- or one of our most viewed (and enjoyed) threads here CLICKY2 It's called Alaskan adventure by Frenchy750... a must - read.

Enjoy...

Gary

darksider #44
Absolutely fantastic ride report Gary, I really enjoyed it! Good to see other Christians on this forum!

I too had a 30 year plus break from bike ownership and went straight to my FJR, the best bike buying decision I ever made.
Also prepping for a much more modest day long trip this weekend, still getting hyped about it though.....will be my longest ride in all these years and an opportunity to test out some of the farkles I've splashed out on!!

Have a great trip and when you're passing by Tampa let me know if you fancy a meet up.

Steve
That would be fantastic Steve. Gary House lives just Northwest of you, maybe I could meet up with you guys on Sunday evening before my last stretch to Naples. Steve