Reasons NOT to purchase Power Commander V ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a power commander on my 07 Honda Rincon auto trans, with HMF pipe it really woke it up and changed the shift points it winds out more before shifting.Now on the FJR I'm sure the PCV would help smooth out the surge and improve low throttle responce. Just put new NGK iridium plugs in and did the TBS ,set idol to 1100 rpm.Now my 07 runs smoother and does'nt hesitate when releasing the clutch from a stop, went from 39.3 mpg avg. to 41.1 mpg avg. I know this does'nt answer your question but I think the power commander is a good product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the info.

Heard good things about the NGK iridiums. No one local carries them though. (Small town) I should order some.

Have a power commander on my 07 Honda Rincon auto trans, with HMF pipe it really woke it up and changed the shift points it winds out more before shifting.Now on the FJR I'm sure the PCV would help smooth out the surge and improve low throttle responce. Just put new NGK iridium plugs in and did the TBS ,set idol to 1100 rpm.Now my 07 runs smoother and does'nt hesitate when releasing the clutch from a stop, went from 39.3 mpg avg. to 41.1 mpg avg. I know this does'nt answer your question but I think the power commander is a good product.

Got the plugs from sparkplugs.com $7.83 ea. cost $10.05 shipping from Cal. to Virginia :trinibob:

It rides VERY nice and I'm thinking it's hard to justify the Power Commander after how well the mods worked today. (previous G2 throttle tube installed also)
Overall, I'm quite thrilled.. :yahoo:

Eworth
Just an aside...has the ECU recall been completed on the bike?

Sounds as though you've solved most of the issues that were bugging you. Save the $$$ for now and ride the bike some more. I've not gone the PC route on my '06 because I'm not willing to pay the [significant] gas mileage penalty that comes with that addition. Although there still is some minor off / on transition jerkiness, it isn't that noticeable anymore.

--G

While considering NOT buying a PC V, what about a MOTTY AFR? I followed this thread way back (and there's also this one), but then it did not seem to come to some definitive conclusion (like many of thses kinds of discussions ;) ). Is UselessPickles (or anyone else that knows the Motty - did anybody else install a Motty?) still around to give their latest opinion on the Motty?

Or is the Motty "not invented here" for most of you and therefore less attractive? :)

Is UselessPickles (or anyone else that knows the Motty - did anybody else install a Motty?) still around to give their latest opinion on the Motty?
Your first link was broken. Here it is fixed: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=113507

I'm very happy with the Motty. It does its job well. The second link about my dyno results has nothing to do with the Motty (even though Wicked Webby seems to disagree...). I now know that the results were cause by some combination of the Holeshot header's interaction with the Remus Hexacones (The Holeshot was designed as a full system with Holeshot slip-ons, after all) and possibly the air box mod. I'm back to a stock header and less-modified air box now. Although I haven't done another dyno run yet, the changes to my self-tuning fuel map indicate that I regained the losses that were shown by my dyno results.

The biggest differences between the Motty and PCV + AutoTune is that the Motty is not plug-and-play (requires splicing/soldering), and the Motty is a single unit that includes the auto-tuning and data logging. You would need to buy 3 separate Power Commander units (PCV, AutoTune and LCD display with data logging) to get similar functionality. The total price would be about the same.

One of my favorite differences is that the Motty can be setup to use a button that switches between 2 maps. The PCV has this feature also, but when you add the Autotune, it changes from a map switch button to an AutoTune toggle button. You can't have AutoTune and map switching together with the PCV. More details here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=123878

Eworth.....Just my experience so far ......I installed PCV mapped from fuelmoto with new staintune exhaust on my 2008. I asked the guys at fuelmoto for a smooth map hoping not to lose too much gas mileage and pick up a slight bit of performance. WOW! is all I can say. This machine was really being choked out. To my amazement I picked up both performance an gas mileage with these mods. Did not expect this to happen at all. The gas mileage increase was approx. 2 mpg on daily commute to work and back not the twisties. My data put the onboard average fuel mileage off by about 3 mpg to the good.

Before mods was reading at best 47 mpg / after 50 mpg. She really breathes now and the smoothness between shifts is awesome. So, I would highly recommend both the exhaust and PCV change together. There are several good slip-on out there that will do the job. My 2 cents only here......Rob

I've been watching this thread evolve and my personal experience, based on my '06A is that there really is no point in modifying the bike with a PC3 or any other type of mapping device unless you are doing track work.

I've used my bike for day rides, for long trips, for hooliganing and more and while it took a couple of days for me to get used to what others call a 'twitchy throttle', I really have no issues (even on highly technical roads) and can keep up (and more often outride) my friends on their K1300Ss, Concours 14s and such when riding the twisties. Out of the box the C14 has less HP and torque in the lower ranges than does the FJR.

I'd personally prefer to (and did) put my money into cruise control, HID driving lights, GPS and other, to me more useful farkles.

With coming legislation prohibiting exhaust changes, going to aftermarket and unapproved cans will simply be an invitation to receive a ticket - besides, the vast majority of benefits realised by PC and exhaust changes are marginal (less than 10% - and then only at higher RPMs where you don;t spend most of your time) and in fact often reduce HP and torque, even if it may sound faster - certainly fuel economy suffers.

Your opinion may differ.

I think there were changes to the FI mapping in '07 and later that made the issues worse, so IMHO, I would spend for the basic PCV no question. It makes a significant difference. The map Fuel Moto gave me (stock bike) is not as rich as the Wally Smoothness map, therefore did not affect fuel economy. On mine there could be some extra richening done on the low end, but to be honest, I need to to a downtown throttle sync and test that out. For those wanting to get better performance because they are more of a power rider than me or a track rider, then I think fuel economy will be affected.

escapefjrartist,

Yes, the ECU recall was taken care of. Same here concerning gas mileage. I'm willing to give some up to fix "issues" with the FJR but not just for more horsepower or performance related benefits. It has plenty for me as it is. :yahoo:

It rides VERY nice and I'm thinking it's hard to justify the Power Commander after how well the mods worked today. (previous G2 throttle tube installed also)
Overall, I'm quite thrilled.. :yahoo:

Eworth
Just an aside...has the ECU recall been completed on the bike?

Sounds as though you've solved most of the issues that were bugging you. Save the $$$ for now and ride the bike some more. I've not gone the PC route on my '06 because I'm not willing to pay the [significant] gas mileage penalty that comes with that addition. Although there still is some minor off / on transition jerkiness, it isn't that noticeable anymore.

--G

Rob (RAT)

Awesome to hear that your set up is A1! That's fantastic. If I decide to drop the cash, I'll have to send you a note to see exactly how they set up your fuel map. From what I hear, those guys at Fuelmoto are top notch!!

Eworth

Eworth.....Just my experience so far ......I installed PCV mapped from fuelmoto with new staintune exhaust on my 2008. I asked the guys at fuelmoto for a smooth map hoping not to lose too much gas mileage and pick up a slight bit of performance. WOW! is all I can say. This machine was really being choked out. To my amazement I picked up both performance an gas mileage with these mods. Did not expect this to happen at all. The gas mileage increase was approx. 2 mpg on daily commute to work and back not the twisties. My data put the onboard average fuel mileage off by about 3 mpg to the good.Before mods was reading at best 47 mpg / after 50 mpg. She really breathes now and the smoothness between shifts is awesome. So, I would highly recommend both the exhaust and PCV change together. There are several good slip-on out there that will do the job. My 2 cents only here......Rob

I have two 08 AE's one with a PC the other one without. I can find no difference in performance or MPG just $$$$$ not well spent.

I have two 08 AE's one with a PC the other one without. I can find no difference in performance or MPG just $$$$$ not well spent.
Is the O2 sensor disconnected on the bike with a PCIII, and is there a fuel map loaded onto the PCIII (not the "zero" map)?

I would also like more information as it seems there is a split between whether this is a worthwile addition.

I know that extrememarine recently put a PCV on his '09 and loaded the "UselessPickles smoothness map" with very obvious positive results in throttle smoothness. I've ridden with him a few times, so I'm pretty confident that he rides at a level where he would actually be sensitive to such changes, as opposed to falling victim to the placebo affect.

It's possible that those claiming no improvement from the PCIII simply don't often make use of the throttle/RPM combinations where the the greatest improvements arise. Or maybe they have repetitive motion damage to nerves/tendons in the hand/wrist area from servicing Bustanut's sheep and are not capable of making smooth and precise throttle transitions, so they'll get jerky throttle response no matter how perfect the fuel injection.

second best farkle on the bike. The first is a Russell seat. But that said I run the Holeshot full system.

I added the PCIII to the bike, an 03 when it first came out for theat model to eliminate low speed surging and heat. It did both. MPG's stayed the same with Waly's smoothness map. Then I added the Holeshot cans before the header was available. I had some decel popping etc. Went to a different map and cured that. Then added the Holeshot header when it became available and got a custom map done on the dyno. 129 rwhp and balls to the wall power. Did lose about 10% in gas mile :fan_1: age but I don't really care because the performance makes up for the loss. And I have a Tanji fuel cell. I still get 42-44 mpg on the road and 38-40 riding around short trips and commuting. Once though I only got 32mpg riding triple digits across the Nevada desert. But I will trade all the mpg's for a thrill like that.

Will happily give up a bit of mileage to increase my riding pleasure.
I think there is something they also offer , "a map switch" to switch between two separate fuel maps. I'd have one for long rides to better mileage and the other for the majority of fun riding.
I put a G2 on my '07 initially to deal with the abrupt throttle response with minimal results. It helped manage the abrupt on / off, but didn't resolve the issue.

I then put on a PC-V with "smoothness" map from FuelMotoUSA and it completely solved the problem. I don't usually check my mileage real closely, but it definitely dropped a few MPG. I then added the handlebar mounted switch and got an "economy" map from them. Mileage in economy mode is likely back to what the bike got before the PC-V, but it runs far better in economy than stock. I only use the smoothness map when I'm in low-speed twisties, where it makes a huge difference.

I just got back from an 1100 miles ride and the mileage ranged between 41 and 47 MPG. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this setup.

Rick