Redfish Climbs Colorado!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are making me want to ride Colorado again. Very nice ride report.

If you got frustrated leading a ride of relatives you should try doing it with a group of people who are not relatives. Much patience is required from everyone.

Deer_eating_popcorn.gif
Great hppants!The best photo for the story..!!!!!!
smile.png
specool.gif
good.gif

Excellent report and pictures Redfish!!!

One of the best ride reports where i have read!!!

I really enjoy it!!!

Waiting for more!!!
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this trip was not as fun as it should have been. I never have figured out what went wrong or who to blame.

Pop was grouchy and mean the whole time. He stayed mad the whole time. He did not tell me until late in the trip that my Mom had wrecked his truck and that had soured his mood greatly. He was tired of hearing about how great the Harley was and was NOT going to go to another Harley Davidson dealership if he could help it.

Cousin GW was tired of hearing about how great the Harley was, and how fast the Harley was, and how wonderful all Harleys are...

Cousin HD was determined that we all knew how great his Harley was, and how fast the Harley was, and how wonderful all Harleys are.

Me? I probably pushed them too hard to make certain destinations so I could see certain things. I had done my homework and knew exactly what we could see in the time allowed and still had to bypass a lot of nice things due to... unforseen circumstances.

The bottom line is that our riding styles are different. Our priorities are different. We are similar in many ways but perhaps too different for perfect harmony.

I took note that for once there was no discussion about Next Year's Trip. Maybe there will not be one. I don't know.

I know I did not enjoy this like I wanted to and I don't think anyone else did either. And I think it was everybody's fault.

Good read, thanks for sharing. Sometimes things don't work out, just the way it is! I'm sure things were learned, problem is remembering the lesson!

It looks like you and your extended family got to take an interesting trip and see the many splendors of nature, and you put together a great set of memories, err, ride report. No matter what, the trip was a success with no tragedies along the way and everyone got home on the ride they left with. Over time the memory of personal interaction will fade and the core of the trip's beauty and discovery will remain.

As Ionbeam said, over time that ugly will fade and the beauty will be the bigger part of your memories. You only have so many years with your Dad, or your cousins for that matter, and you are doing the right thing to share as many moments as possible with family.

Having a mix of different bikes creates a problem regarding capability and range, but the issue about which bike is best is normal. After all, you each bought what you thought was the best bike for you at the time.

Regarding trying to see everything you planned to see, I have to say the only way to do that is to go it alone. I have done that, and enjoyed the ride very much, but the evenings are lonely around the dinner table, so it's a trade off. When riding with others, I can't tell you how many times I had to remind someone riding with me that the later we started, and the longer we rested, the fewer things we would be able to see in the days we had. I guess I'm more like your Dad in that I would not waste time at meals if it got me further down the road to see one more place or ride one more road.

One thing surprised me about your report. Whenever I travel with family, that would normally be by car, we always defer to the senior member. That is partly out of respect, but also because he is the one who is more likely to get tired or ill if we push too hard, so we follow his lead.

Good RR, thanks RF!

You showed a lot of patience leading your group. A single rider complaining is one thing but multiple whiners is a pretty big challenge. Nice job taking control and making it fun for all. I liked the flat, hot n boring roads develop into the very scenic and fun roads.

Yes, this trip was not as fun as it should have been. I never have figured out what went wrong or who to blame.
Pop was grouchy and mean the whole time. He stayed mad the whole time. He did not tell me until late in the trip that my Mom had wrecked his truck and that had soured his mood greatly. He was tired of hearing about how great the Harley was and was NOT going to go to another Harley Davidson dealership if he could help it.

Cousin GW was tired of hearing about how great the Harley was, and how fast the Harley was, and how wonderful all Harleys are...

Cousin HD was determined that we all knew how great his Harley was, and how fast the Harley was, and how wonderful all Harleys are.

Me? I probably pushed them too hard to make certain destinations so I could see certain things. I had done my homework and knew exactly what we could see in the time allowed and still had to bypass a lot of nice things due to... unforseen circumstances.

The bottom line is that our riding styles are different. Our priorities are different. We are similar in many ways but perhaps too different for perfect harmony.

I took note that for once there was no discussion about Next Year's Trip. Maybe there will not be one. I don't know.

I know I did not enjoy this like I wanted to and I don't think anyone else did either. And I think it was everybody's fault.
Redfish,

The best trips that i have do,was only with my gf and maximum one more bike!Really i can understand you!Happened to me many times..!
smile.png

The Branding Iron, Buena Vista...they also have a great breakfast! Ate there last year after camping just up the road from town. Great RR! The group dynamic is interesting...personally, I think I would've said "Enjoy your vacation!" and ridden off into the sunset on my own, lol.

That would have been tough to be part of, they bitched through some pretty nice country. Should have pulled the plug on them and gone alone.
smile.png

Guys, thanks for all your advice, encouragement and kind words.

We all defer to the "Senior" guy, my own Dear Old Dad. He and I are in constant communication on the Scala Rider and I monitor his mood and energy level constantly. Of course, he was more grouchy this time.

I have a good bit more of this report to write but I have to work... I promise to get started back on it very soon.

I feel your pain, Redfish. 4 on a tightly planned ride is a little too much. Actually, 2 is iffy if you aren't on the same wavelength. That's why I enjoy solo rides. I can handle dining alone with no problems at all. YMMV. :)

Wonderful RR, though!

I feel your pain, Redfish. 4 on a tightly planned ride is a little too much. Actually, 2 is iffy if you aren't on the same wavelength. That's why I enjoy solo rides. I can handle dining alone with no problems at all. YMMV.
smile.png

Wonderful RR, though!
+1. I used to say I like riding with me, myself and I and if there is a difference of opinion maybe it is time to get off the bike!

That's why when we already have a group of lets say 4 bikes, I shun, cringe and shrug my shoulders when somebody new (to our group) asks to ride along w us. Even tho you kicked some tires, drank some beers together the night before... you really don't know.

And, I guess when you even do know the peeps (relatives), you still really never know. Always good that your leader is a good communicator (aka: the smoother) as RF did here.

I feel your pain, Redfish. 4 on a tightly planned ride is a little too much. Actually, 2 is iffy if you aren't on the same wavelength. That's why I enjoy solo rides. I can handle dining alone with no problems at all. YMMV.
smile.png

Wonderful RR, though!
+1. I used to say I like riding with me, myself and I and if there is a difference of opinion maybe it is time to get off the bike!
Substitute the words, "

when I ride by myself. Now you have your very own theme song to sing as you ride off into the sunset :lol:

Really enjoying the RR Redfish.

Even though it was quite challenging at times, you still saw some great sites and got to ride some fantastic roads.

Can't wait for the rest of the report. Thanks!!
smile.png

Wednesday 7/9/14

I had made it known to the group that we would not be in any hurry to get anywhere today. I made it clear that I wanted to climb Pike's Peak early while we were still fresh and if it took us all day well, it did not matter because we had all day.

Pop was nervous. I don't understand why he gets like this but he was intimidated by that climb and those switch backs. It baffles me because I know he is a man with tremendous personal courage. I think he overthinks things. My argument is always that lots of folks who can't ride worth a damn have made it on bikes that are nowhere near the equal of his FJR. He has the right bike and the right skills.

We decided as a group that a tire pressure check was in order and it was good that we did. Everyone's tires were low. I had given Cousin GW a present the week before we left, the ultra compact Aerostich air compressor. He had wired the pigtail to his battery and we were both anxious to try it out. Wow! The little Aerostich is impressive. Best have the engine running though, it pulls more amperage than I had anticipated.

We all agreed on the need for a good breakfast and set out in search of grub. Pop's voice in my headset made my decision easy (I did what I was told) and I pulled into a Denny's. I could not resist a pic of the Denny's sign, I am assuming a double meaning.

Across the road was a WalMart. Apparently they have to fit in and not be out of place in Woodland Park CO. I snapped this pic just because I found it so different.

Our breakfast was excellent. Cousin GW told Cousin HD not to worry. He said that when the Harley overheated to just park it and wait. He would ride to the top, get his picture and then ride back to the Harley. Then Cousin HD could ride the GoldWing up and get his picture.

Cousin HD replied that he would rather walk up that mountain wearing his Harley shirt than riding that GoldWing.

The reply was, "If you can't walk faster than your Harley can run you ain't never gonna make it".

Pop and I stayed out of it.

I paid the toll for all of us. I almost got pissed when I heard Pop ask the toll booth operator how bad the road really was. I was grinning in my helmet when the reply came back, "Oh you should have no problem on this thing! People do it on all sorts of bikes all the time. This FJR will make it just fine."

We took a short bathroom break at the first rest area. Cousin GW had overheard the conversation with the booth attendant and he approached Pop. "You know you got nothing to worry about. You ride better than any of us and you got the strongest motor in the lightest bike. Stop worrying."

And then we started climbing.

Our destination:

What we looked like:

You may notice that our speeds were LOW! Pop's voice in my helmet was a constant reminder and I had to defend any acceleration move I made. I was honestly getting a bit tired of the crap. I came a long way to ride this road and I wanted to enjoy it.

Then, I noticed that our camera bike (the GoldWing) and the Harley were not following anymore. Pop and I had just made the gift shop at the brake check booth and I told him to pull over at the parking lot and Wait For Me THERE! Of course I feared the worst, another crash and my blood was pounding in my eardrums.

As I executed a perfect U-turn complete with a spinning finish I heard Pop's voice in my helmet telling me to take it easy, take it slow... I am afraid my reply was not as respectful as it should have been.

I knew they could not be far and I let the Honda act like a real Sport Tourer for the first time on the whole trip. The RPMs climbed, the footpegs came closer to the pavement, the suspension compressed... I rounded a corner and to my relief, both bikes were safely parked on the shoulder.

Of course the altitude was causing overheating issues. But as proof that Karma can really be a Bitch, it was the GoldWing! The Harley was doing fine, the big Honda was sitting with its temp gauge hovering in the red!

I could not help it, I laughed aloud. Those two bickering little bitches both got what they deserved that morning. When they asked about mine and Pop's bikes I laughed some more. My reply was not kind.

I told them I was out of range of the Scala Rider and I knew Pop was worried so I was going to return and let him know they were both fine. I was sure they could not get lost. I treated them to a low level wheelie and enjoyed the few tight turns between me and Pop.

But altitude has no loyalties and no friends. By the time they reached us, both bikes were running hot. We had to wait and shop while they cooled off.

So, we traveled slowly but steadily up the hill. Pop was astonished that his bike would get warm enough to kick on the cooling fans. The temp would drop back down instantly and it never came close to running hot but it surprised him. He asked me if he should be worried. I laughed. I told him if that Yamaha ran hot he could ride my Honda while I carried the FJR up the hill. He finally realized what I had been telling him all along. Just Ride the Bike and Enjoy the Road. Why we have to go through this every trip...

This bike ran hot:

And this bike ran hot:

But these two bikes did not!

Pop finally relaxed and enjoyed the road and the ride. He was praising the work I did on smoothing his throttle, enjoying the smooth power delivery of his FJR. I sarcastically pointed out to him that were not using much of that power... He pointed out that we were not holding up any traffic either.

Finally...

Yeah, I felt like a kid that killed a dragon with a popsicle stick. I had herded my little flock of misfits to The Top of the World. They were thrilled. We were all thrilled.

Of course, they were also dizzy and light headed.

I had been uhhh... exercising and working out in anticipation of the difficulties of altitude so I was fine. I walked around taking pics and savoring this happy time.

For those of you who choose to ride the Cog RailRoad up the mountain instead, this dinky little structure is what is supposed to stop you from going over the edge:

And then while I was shopping, I started getting dizzy. It hit me then that if I was getting affected this badly and my 3 companions had been suffering from this for the last 15 or 20 minutes... We had to get the hell down off this mountain. Right Now.

The three of them were all sitting on their bikes looking strange when I walked out to them. Pop said, "Son, I am sorry. We have to get the hell down of this Mountain. Right the Hell Now."

They all three assured me they could ride, they just could not walk very well. That did not soothe me at all. Since all 4 of us live at about 50 feet above sea level, we were literally fish out of water up there at 14,110 feet.

It all went well though. On the way down they revived quickly, I could hear the change in Pop's voice by the time we exited the second switchback.

We took a pic of this guy a little way from the top:

After all the unnecessary drama and the unnecessary bullshit, we had a really fun ride. Pop actually apologized in my headset on the way down, he said that it was all beautiful and he felt like he had really done something special. We all felt pretty wonderful after that ride.

To be continued...

You are hereby anointed "Cat-herder-extraordinaire"!

Hey, where are the Pikes Peak babes? Too light-headed to pose on the HD?
sick.gif