Redfish Climbs Colorado!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfish, in an airplane, it's mandatory to have oxygen at anything above 10,000 feet. You were at 14,110? I've seen people pass out like rag dolls in Lake Titicaca, Peru at 12,420. You learn real quick to walk and do everything Sloooowly. If you start hyperventilating, you're toast. That's why Americans carry oxygen bottles with them. You did Good! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You just wanted to say Titti-Caca you jackass! However, 14k+ is pretty high, even for those of us that live above 5k.

Keep it coming RFH!

Finally, the trip is halfway over and the crew has united. We are finally all on the same page, we are all happy. And the pecking order of the bikes has worked itself out.
smile.png

We had a leisurely ride back West on Hwy 24 and we got to enjoy much of the scenery that had been shrouded in rain/fog/hail the day before. Because I had worked up an appetite and because it had been so good the day before, I opted for a late lunch at The Branding Iron on the north side of Buena Vista. All parties involved were pleased with that idea and myself and Cousin GW ate like starving wolves.

We headed south out of Buena Vista toward Hwy 50. We made a right turn and headed west. My next milestone was Monarch Pass. Of course it started raining and of course the temp dropped and of course we did not ride as fast as I wanted to ride... But there is no point in me whining. I had a great time and Pop did too. He did not always know where we were headed or why a pic in front of some stupid sign was important to me, but he would play along and pose for the pic. He knew it all meant something to me.

As we rode, Pop confided in me that he did not even understand why he bothered to take any pics on these trips. No one ever looked at them but him and they really only meant something to him. After a while he had trouble remembering the order of what pic went with what day and what location.

I realized he might be worrying about his mind and memory more than he was fussing about the pics. I told him to question his two nephews about where we had been on what day. "Just ask them what town we ate lunch in on our third day. I bet they can't tell you." Turns out, not only could his nephews not answer some basic location questions, they could not agree. As the trip progressed, they were unable to put locations to their pictures. They were questioning the chronological order of the pics on their iphones!

A trip like this is literally mind boggling. There are too many beautiful places, too much spectacular scenery, too many wonderful roads for the mind to keep track of it all. It really gets overwhelming. It will make you question your memory and make you worry about an early onset of dementia or Alzheimer's.

That is one big reason I keep a journal or diary and I am faithful to it every night. Without it, these RRs would not be possible.

Back on topic:

Why are these pics important? What makes this so significant? Remember that I live in South Louisiana. The capitol city, Baton Rouge has an average elevation of 56 feet. The highest point in Louisiana is 535 feet. When I read RRs on this forum or ADVRider and see pics of passes in Colorado, I yearn to see such wonderful and exotic things. I feel the call of the road and I know that both Pop and I have Cross Continental Missiles in our garages just waiting to take us there. And they do take us to these places. And then I get to share them with all of my friends, you wonderful folks.

More valuable than gold:

My cousin was feeling the happiness that only a motorcyclist can truly understand. He asked me quietly if I would please take his picture as well. He told me that being alive and being with his uncle and his cousins on this trip was overwhelming him. I remembered what he looked like two years ago when I rolled what I thought was his dead body out of the ditch next to his totaled motorcycle. I was feeling overwhelmed as well.

We rolled West down off the mountain toward Gunnison. I did not think my chest could contain all the happiness I had inside.

I did not know what to expect from Gunnison Colorado. It was wonderful. We stayed at the Quality Inn in Gunnison. The beautiful young lady at the desk offered us towels to clean the four horribly filthy motorcycles. I went on a recon mission and "borrowed" a hose from the back of the hotel. Using the two wastebaskets from our two rooms, one to hold the soapy water, the other to hold the ice and beer, we hand washed the bikes in the hotel parking lot.

Somehow a clean bike just makes for a better ride. To some of us anyway.

A decent supper at 5Bs BBQ sealed the deal.

Just before dark a gentleman on a Vulcan Nomad rolled in. He and his 14 year old daughter had ridden from Tacoma WA to Temple TX. They were on their way home and they were having a great time. I tried to tell him how much I envied and respected him for doing that. I don't think I was able to truly express it. Somehow I think he got it though.

Okay, enough emotional B.S. Tomorrow morning we head South on Hwy 149.

Great reports, I've been reading them on break at work. They definitely are the highlight of my night at the foundry. Looking forward to more.

Thurs 7-10-14

Pop and I were both up early. I headed to the lobby to do a coffee acquisition/breakfast reconnaissance run and was pleased with the outcome of both. Pop and I sipped our coffee in the early morning quiet and soaked up the smell of Spruce. Cousin GW looked doubtful when I told him we were going to eat at the hotel for breakfast. By the time my cousins made it to the lobby Pop and I were almost done with breakfast.

The early start allowed us to ride in the cool stillness when the wildlife was still moving. That may not have been the smartest thing... It worked out all right though.

Hwy 149 was a jewel. The scenery and the sweeping curves made for an idyllic ride. We had to dodge suicidal chipmunks constantly but 149 was everything I had hoped.

We took a break at Windy Ridge Overlook at Slumgullion Pass.

I attached the GoPro to my ST and tried to get some decent still shots of my two cousins. Letting them lead insured a slow pace but I was okay with that.

We removed the GoPro and I resumed the lead after the summit of Slumgullion. All was wonderful until...

We had to hit Road Construction eventually. It is the Colorado State Sport you know.

Pop took the opportunity to look around.

We pondered the reasoning of the occupants of the vehicle in front of us. The temp was in the mid 60s, there was a very nice breeze, the smell of the air was heavenly... But those folks sat with their motor idling and their windows rolled up. Motorcycle people and car people are so different I guess.

We wound up following a pilot car (truck) for about 6 miles, then riding on Very Fresh Chip Seal with Extra Oil for another 12 miles or so.

We took a short break so Cousin HD and I could get some pics of North Clear Creek Falls.

The rest of the ride was just wonderful and we had a very pleasant lunch in Creede CO. The service and the food were quite good at:

We turned South on Hwy 160 and crossed Wolf Creek Pass. There was a cold rain falling and we did not stay long. We took no pics there. I know that if that had been the first pass we had crossed in Colorado there would have been numerous pics taken. We were all in sensory overload.

We fueled up in Pagosa Springs and I realized that we were making much better time than I had planned. I decided to push a bit in the hopes of getting set up for a decent run home. We hit rain again in Chama and it stayed with us on and off on Hwy 64 in New Mexico for most of the afternoon. Hopewell Pass was crossed in a light cold rain and there was no playing with wet curves on sketchy pavement.

Cousin GW wanted to stop in the desert West of Taos to look at the small community of... folks that live underground. If you have not seen or heard of this, there is a group of homes partially underground out there. The parts that are above ground are... interesting? Different? Just plain weird?

Anyway, my cousin said, "I want to stop and visit with them. I want to talk to them. I want to go underground with them. I want to eat organic tomatoes and shit with them. I think we all need to stop there."

I knew he was joking. Or at least I hoped he was joking.

We stopped long enough for me to get a couple of pictures.

Turns out he did not really want to stop.

Taos traffic was Horrible. Really really bad.

But, the newly enabled cylinder cut off system on the Harley (We had found the cylinder killing/cooling system was not enabled on the HD and that had contributed greatly to our woes) worked to perfection. Not only did the big Harley not run hot, it did not cook the rider as it had previously.

We took Hwy 518 from Taos all the way back to Las Vegas NM.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn at Las Vegas and had supper at Pino's restaurant right up the road. I really enjoyed mine, the others not so much.

My Harley riding cousin finally could not stand it any longer and HAD to change his transmission oil. Since this meant buying everything and doing it in the parking lot, I insisted we flush the clutch fluid as well. The clutch definitely operated better after that.

Pop sat on the curb and watched all this with disgust. "A Harley is a hobby, not a motorcycle," he told me. "If he wants to pay for something that needs to be worked on every trip, you ought to let him work on it."

I knew he was just being grouchy and he would have been irritated with me if I had not done the work. I had the feeling that whatever was eating Pop was going to start overshadowing my good trip again.

A well earned shower, a decent night's sleep...

Almost Done folks.

I have been following this... As usual, great pictures and a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Some of your trials illustrate why I usually choose to travel solo. Ride when I want, stop when I want and eat when (or if) I want. On the other hand, it can be a lot of fun to share the experience if you are travelling with someone who is compatible. (i.e. they are willing to do it my way!)

My good friend R/H knows that I'll playfully rib the H/D pirates as much as anyone. However, after knowing what your cousin went through a couple of years ago, and realizing not only his willingness to get back on a bike, let alone his pure enjoyment of it.... well... I gotta give props to him. He is a rider, no doubt.

Please continue - I'm almost out of popcorn...

Sorry it is taking so long. These things are time consuming. I have a wife that I really like and a son that deserves more of my attention than he gets. I have to work to support them. I have to work to support my hobbies.

Back on topic:

Friday 7/11/14

We decided on the hotel breakfast and Cousin GW and I immediately fouled up both waffle irons. How? I have no idea. We sprayed the damn things, we followed the directions and still the waffles stuck. This sticks out because it was in this very hotel that I fouled up the waffle iron on last year's trip. I can screw up nearly anything.

Fortunately we got an early start. This helped us see plenty of wildlife on Hwy 104. We saw two pronghorn antelope which thrilled Cousin GW. Then we were treated to a very healthy mule deer buck in velvet jumping a fence alongside the road. He cleared the fence so effortlessly that we all laughed about it into the next day. He was obviously in better shape than any of us.

I should have taken this pic about 40 feet further back. It does not show off Hwy 104 as well as that wonderful little road deserves.

We fueled up in Tucumcari and then hit I-40 East to Amarillo. The wind was even worse than we had coming in. When we passed the cattle feed lots Pop told me to speed up, he could not breathe. I happily obliged with a triple digit sprint past the awful stench. I like my beef as well as anyone but I don't really care for that sort of operation.

A quick McDonald's lunch in Amarillo and we headed south on 287. The wind was really whipping our butts this time, I had a few heart racing moments when a gust would see me leaning over to almost dragging the right foot peg.

The temp was 96 degrees F when we paused for a water break in the parking lot of a little radio station. It was not the best of stops as there was no shade and Cousin HD immediately got on his phone for an extended conversation. That sort of re-started some grouchiness.

We pointed ourselves SouthEast again and it felt like we were riding into a giant hair dryer.

We took another break just North of Wichita Falls and we had a meeting. It was decided that I would call and make reservations at the same hotel we had stayed at in Sherman TX. We would stop at a likely looking restaurant (if one showed up) along the way so that when we hit the hotel late that evening we could just shut down for the night.

Everybody had taken a beating from the wind and for once we were all able to admit the truth. Pop seemed fine. I always worry about him but he is tough and seems to handle the distance and heat at least as well as his nephews.

When we stopped for fuel in Muenster TX, Pop got grouchy all over again. He chewed on me pretty good through the headset. I have not exactly gotten over it yet.

I took a chance on a place called Dieter's on Hwy 82 just a bit East of Muenster TX. It is not fancy but the food was very good, the Sweet Iced Tea was very good, and the AC worked okay. My two cousins were very happy. They had no idea Pop and I were... strained.

We had a 39 mile ride to the hotel from there and it was the first time on the whole trip that Pop and I did not talk on our headsets. I guess I have to blame myself for pushing us a bit far the last two days. We covered 566 miles on this one day, two hours of that the temp was between 98 and 101 degrees F. For five hours the temp never got below 96. We should have been grouchy.

Aggravated as I was, I was still worried about Pop. He was really looking his age when we got in the hotel room. I brought him some bottled water and a bottle of Coke and he seemed to revive some.

The next morning we got an early start and a decent breakfast at the IHOP. Note that the sun is not up as we are leaving the IHOP after breakfast.

We actually had a very pleasant and relatively cool ride until we reached Louisiana. I kept us on I-49 south of Shreveport for a while to gain a little time. The temps were hovering around 95 and the Louisiana humidity was having its effect on us.

After riding over half of the country and never having any issues with other drivers, the closer we got to home the more stupidity we encountered. I honestly cannot account for it but there was some serious ignorance on the roads close to home.

Everybody made it home safe.

I helped Pop unload his luggage and we looked over the damaged side of his truck. You see a big part of Pop's grouchiness had to do with the fact that Mom wrecked his truck while we were gone. Pop has a very nice and very well maintained GMC 4wd that he is very fond of. It looks pretty nasty right now.

I noticed that there was no discussion about Next Year's Trip from anyone. I regard that as ominous. Pop's response to my questioning this week has not been positive. He thinks he might be done. He thinks he might be too old.

I don't know what to think.

So... This might really be, The End.

Thank you for a wonderful read ... For the audience, the grouchiness added to the spice of the tale, but for you and your Dad, I hope it is just a ripple.

They will, as time passes, only remember the good bits.

I agree with 007. That seemed like too much for the limited timeframe, let alone the fact that there were 4 of you. The good news is that there were a few good bits along the way and everybody got home safe. Glass half full, Redfish. You did good. Thanks for reminding me why I prefer to ride solo, especially if it's a week long ride. I'm making the trip to the upcoming EOM a two week ride. I'll remember this RR the whole time. :D