registration/liceince feess

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonozz

Reaction score
Hey,

Kiwi riders who will be riding a 650+cc motorbike will be looking at annual fees to register a bike on the road for $745.77cents. Govt 's way of getting more revenue , claiming the motocyclist are having too many accidents and costing the govt too much money, forgetting that most of these accidents are caused by cars who fail to see a motorbike.

out of interest, what do other riders in other parts of the world get charged annually for having a bike on the road

cheers Jono

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold on, I just got my license renewal in the mail... [shuffles some shit around]

Ah yes, here it is..

Canada.. er.. make that Ontario: $21 per year.

Hold on, I just got my license renewal in the mail... [shuffles some shit around]
Ah yes, here it is..

As you pointed out, that's not Canada as a whole, that's Ontario . . .

In Quebec there are three 'types' (moped, regular & high risk) and different rates, depending on displacement:

Mopeds: $173

400 cc and below: $329

400cc & up: $518

400cc & up (high risk): $1,030

To give an idea of what they're doing, registration for sport bikes was about $350 in 2006, $667 in 2008 and rates for 2010 will go up to $1,410 - the lower grades are similar - the good news is that the FJR is not classed as a sport bike, so we'll 'only' pay about $700.

And, for comparison, the NZ$ registration is worth about $570.45 Canadian at this time

Given that the US dollar has sunk about 38% against the rest of the world and is almost at par (again), the numbers I posted are close enough in value to their US dollar equivalents.

Ah yes, here it is..

As you pointed out, that's not Canada as a whole, that's Ontario . . .

In Quebec there are three 'types' (moped, regular & high risk) and different rates, depending on displacement:

To give an idea of what they're doing, registration for sport bikes was about $350 in 2006, $667 in 2008 and rates for 2010 will go up to $1,410 - the lower grades are similar - the good news is that the FJR is not classed as a sport bike, so we'll 'only' pay about $700.

And, for comparison, the NZ$ registration is worth about $570.45 Canadian at this time

Given that the US dollar has sunk about 38% against the rest of the world and is almost at par (again), the numbers I posted are close enough in value to their US dollar equivalents.
Then of course Steve quoted you a price for Northern Ontario...

For my bike each year for a sticker on the plate...$42 Southern Ontario prices.

My drivers licence in Southern Ontario is $75 for 5 years

In the tax you to death State of Connecticut, We pay $60 for registration every 2 years, 60 or so for drivers license every 5 years, and every year you pay property taxes that are based on the ages and value of the vehicle. Last year was $256. Next year will be less as the value goes down. That is why it never pays to own a new car, truck or bike in Connecticut. By the way sales tax is 6.5% and income tax is 4%.

Hey,
Kiwi riders who will be riding a 650+cc motorbike will be looking at annual fees to register a bike on the road for $745.77cents. Govt 's way of getting more revenue , claiming the motocyclist are having too many accidents and costing the govt too much money, forgetting that most of these accidents are caused by cars who fail to see a motorbike.

out of interest, what do other riders in other parts of the world get charged annually for having a bike on the road

cheers Jono
I don't understand this logic. Does the government pay for your health care in NZ? If not, why do they care? Shouldn't the associated increase in risk be covered by increased insurance premiums rather than registration fees? Or don't you have mandatory insurance down under?

Then of course Steve quoted you a price for Northern Ontario...For my bike each year for a sticker on the plate...$42 Southern Ontario prices.
Oh ya! I forgot about that. North of French River its cheaper as an economic incentive to offset the higher gas prices. We also don't have to get our vehicles emissions tested either.

I'm still researching warmer climates in Canada to move to. I might just bite the bullet and move to the States... say, somewhere in the Smoky Mtns. :)

In the tax you to death State of Connecticut, We pay $60 for registration every 2 years, 60 or so for drivers license every 5 years, and every year you pay property taxes that are based on the ages and value of the vehicle. Last year was $256. Next year will be less as the value goes down. That is why it never pays to own a new car, truck or bike in Connecticut. By the way sales tax is 6.5% and income tax is 4%.
EXCUSE ME! Your bitching about tax you to death and your only paying 4% income tax?!!

To give an idea of what they're doing, registration for sport bikes was about $350 in 2006, $667 in 2008 and rates for 2010 will go up to $1,410
Well, you seem to know all the details Bram.... so do you know anything about the rumor (or is it an urban legend) that litre sport bikes will eventually go up to >$2000?

One thing people should know though, before they start feeling for us: our plates include some form of 'insurance'. IE: I pay my insurance broker less than half of what it would cost me to insure my 2 cars and the FJR, compared to say, in Ontario.

Recently, I inquired with a couple of Ontario brokers, to see what I'd be looking at if I moved. For my cars & bike, I'd be looking at almost $2500 VS the $900 I'm paying now.

(a car license plats cost $255 /year in QC)

Hey,

cheers Jono
I don't understand this logic. Does the government pay for your health care in NZ? If not, why do they care? Shouldn't the associated increase in risk be covered by increased insurance premiums rather than registration fees? Or don't you have mandatory insurance down under?

Actually I believe they do pay the healthcare. I seem to remember a while back in the media about a couple (maybe from Ohio) that wanted to immigrate to NZ and were denied because they were overweight.

Josh

edit: actually if you google immigrate to new zealand overweight there are a bunch of hits.

... out of interest, what do other riders in other parts of the world get charged annually for having a bike on the road
cheers Jono
UK: £66 a year for a road fund licence for my FJR (approx $144 NZ or $107 US) - of course very little of that goes into the roads.

Do we get a free pass to bitch about the government on this thread? Or is tax hating so universal as to not be political?

I pay $40 a year to register the FJR. As much as I am fearful about the amount of intervention our government is gaining, it appears that it's still a better place than almost anywhere else.

I live in Arizona and its expensive. Lived in Colorado and it was expensive there also. Lived in New Mexico, but I can't remember what it cost to register my bike. Lived in Ohio and it was dirt cheap to register my bike and vehicles.

Although expensive in Arizona, a couple good things worth mentioning are, once you register your utility or boat trailer, they are licensed for life. And your drivers license is good until you are 65 years old. If you get your license at 16, you will get a new one at age 21, then it will last until you are 65. So your picture on your license will remain young looking while your appearance will resemble an FJR rider; old, tired, gray and lets not forget fat!!

I hate to complain too much for fear I will jinx myself and Arizona will raise rates again!

EXCUSE ME! Your bitching about tax you to death and your only paying 4% income tax?!!
GUNNY!

We got 7% state income + 1.15% state disability + 9.75% sales!

Registration is $58 for registration fee + $56 license fee + $10 county fee per year on an 04'.

Do we get a free pass to bitch about the government on this thread? Or is tax hating so universal as to not be political? I pay $40 a year to register the FJR. As much as I am fearful about the amount of intervention our government is gaining, it appears that it's still a better place than almost anywhere else.
bitching about taxes is universal and created at least one new country along the way. tread carefully about turning it political though. that could end up shutting down a data-collecting thread.

here it's something like $45 a year for registration of my 03. my insurance has been about $250 a year for full coverage since year 2 of ownership. D/L went to a 5 year renewal last time but i can't remember the price (the cost-per-year may have gone down a little because of the lost annual overhead but not much if it did). CHLs also went from 4 year to 5 year renewal cycles (with a required refresher course of about $150 and the (iic) $75 renewal fee).

sales tacks is about 8.5%, there's no income tax, and property tax is murder as they hit you with state, county, and city (with school taxes for both county and city).

Well, if NZ govt. does pay for its citizens health care, then they have every right (duty?) to collect increased licensing fees, or use whatever other means necessary, to pay for the increased costs associated with the risk of the activity being licensed. Here in the US we do it through the insurance fees, which is a little more flexible as it has the ability to reward lower risk riders and penalize the higher risk groups.

As to registration fees: Here in NH (where we have no income or sales taxes :p ) there is a "tax" of sorts built into the vehicle registration fees that is based on a declining mille rate, tied to the age of the vehicle. So my 2005 FJR cost me just $63 to the town clerk (includes the millage) and $26 to the state for the actual registration this year.

Next year the bike will have aged to the minimum millage rate of $3 per $1k (of original value) or just $39/year for the town clerk potion plus a $2.50 processing fee (they apparently feel the bike was worth $13k when new) and it will stay there as long as I own it, unless they raise the millage rates.