removed rear axle on a 2007 ABS for the first time, seems to be binding on reinstall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phugedaboudet

Reaction score
pulled the wheels on my 2007 ABS model to get new tires on. Had to pound the h3ll out of the rear axle as whatever grease was used had turned into a brownish substance the consistency of almost-dry clay. Cleaned that off and reassembled with new grease. Problem is the rear wheel seems to be binding a bit. It's noticeably harder to push the bike around,

I tried to access the fjrtech link about the rear wheel removal for the ABS equipped FJRs but the link is broken. I suspect I may have the spacer installed incorrectly. the only working link I found is for the non abs model which mentions two spacers on the brake carrier/abs sensor side. I did not see two on mine. I installed the axle with the spacer washer between the ABS sensor disc and the brake carrier. But the parts diagram on bikebandit makes it appear that the spacer is to go between the brake carrier and the swingarm.

Please advise. I've only got to get the brake pads replaced and the key switch replaced after sorting out the rear axle and I can ride again-it's been since mid October! I'm starting to have hallucinations that riding a Beemer or Honda wouldn't be so bad after all.....
tongue.png

Maybe this will help: https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=34

The Supplemental Manual does describe the correct ABS Sensor Ring and Brake Caliper orientaion, but only with black/white drawings. There are marks on both the Sensor Ring (depicted by green arrow) and the Brake Caliper (depicted by yellow arrow) that will be aligned if the wheel is installed correctly, as you can see below:

sensoralignment.jpg
The cyan arrow points to the spacer washer that MUST go in between the right swingarm leg and the caliper housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent the last two hours on Google trying to find a working link to the ABS procedure. thanks guys, question solved.

Now I just gotta convince the wife to be willing to get a little dirty and help me get that wheel off :)

First, loosen the main nut while the bike's on the sidestand. Then, put the bike up on the centerstand, front wheel on the floor, centerstand on top of a board about 1" high. That raises the back end so the wheel clears the fender. Loosen everything up as said in that link. Then, sit behind the bike, put the wheel on your shins to unweight it in the swingarm, slide out the axle and set the wheel down using your legs. It's a one-man job. BTW--the torque values in that link are not correct for GEN II.

Actually, he doesn't need to put it up on a board since he won't be removing the wheel. Just loosen the axle and retract it to move the spacer to the right place. Leave the wheel hanging on the drive spline.

Last edited by a moderator:
... and relube the axle while you're at it. I've known of axles that almost had to be jackhammered out because they were ceased so bad. We presume the dealer that did the tire change didn't lube it at all, but you can never be too safe! ;)

... and relube the axle while you're at it. I've known of axles that almost had to be jackhammered out because they were siezed so bad. We presume the dealer that did the tire change didn't lube it at all, but you can never be too safe!
wink.png
Fixed it for you Jeff.

Al.

Um...You loosened the axle pinch bolt. Right? I know it sounds dumb, but easy shit is easily overlooked. Also, be sure you have your calipers installed on the rotor correctly. Its not too hard to get them put over the inside of the rotor and cause what you describe.

He already described what the problem is. He said that put the spacer (washer) between the caliper and the ABS sensor plate. It's supposed to go between the caliper and the swingarm. Putting the spacer in the wrong place offsets the caliper too far outboard and causes the brake caliper to drag on the rotor.

He already described what the problem is. He said that put the spacer (washer) between the caliper and the ABS sensor plate. It's supposed to go between the caliper and the swingarm. Putting the spacer in the wrong place offsets the caliper too far outboard and causes the brake caliper to drag on the rotor.
I did that once on a different bike and when I tightened the axle nut the disc got bent..$$