Removing Front Cowling and headlight assemble GenII 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjskach

Reaction score
I'm in a Conundrum, I have the whole front cowling loose but there is one screw that is from the back side right under where the front tuning fork logo is. I can't see how I can get to that philips head screw. It is right below the windscreen adjustment mechanism. If I had some weird screw driver, I can peel the cowling back enough to get down in there, but geeze there has to be something I am missing. I am tempted to just break it off but then I would have to figure out how to get it back on with my new cowling. Once I get this off are there any guides on removing the headlight assemble? I saw on the GEN I the whole headlight assemble comes off with the cowling, I assume this isn't true on the Gen II.

Maybe something I'm missing or not picturing...

GEN II assembly comes off very similar to the GEN I. Remove four (4) phillips head self tapping screws from the back side and it's off.

More info, pics?

--G

You can't remove that screw till you get the cowling and headlights off, they come off together.

This ^^^^^

The upper side fairing screws are not accessible until the entire nose/headlight/upper-fairing assembly is off the bike as a unit.

This is my Gen-I assembly, but the Gen-II is the same concept. This much stuff comes off together, then comes apart.

nosecowl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,after taking a break and looking at it again.I now see the 4 screws. Will take another stab it tomorrow.

I made the huge mistake of not checking the forum wisdom before doing that job my first time. I proved that it is possible to remove the nose faring (and that center screw) with the headlight remaining in place. But it sure wasn't easy.
rolleyes.gif

Taking them off together is the correct way.

Last edited by a moderator:
On your back and with your "skinny arm", you can get a stubby up there to get that middle fastener out. Took me about 5min just for positioning (of my body and arm/hand).

When I sold the bike (before I had to repo it) the buyer asked me how hard it was to install those HID's?... I said "brother, it's a pain and one you really don't wanna do unless you have to". Not sure I "had to", but I like fooling around with lighting one might say.....

DSC_0079_zps6d212f13.jpg

DSC_0119_zps79aa9f9d.jpg

DSC_0040_zpsaed90553.jpg

Good luck w the cowling removal, and, is it Springtime yet?

Thanks, all it is off now. Another problem has presented itself. The Windscreen adjuster quit working. More things to trouble shoot. I made the mistake of trying it before I took everything off and it started to work and then stopped. Once I got the cowling off I could see that one of the arms was broke. I checked the fuse but it looks good. So now I have the mechanism off the bike and will try to see if the motor died. What a pain. Hopefully this will be the last hidden damage from this crash.