Removing Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHFJR

Reaction score
I just wanted to let everyone know about a great way to remove unglued grips. I had installed a set of dual star grip hears and new tacky grips on my 06. I then deceided to get a NCP cruise control. When I went to put this on I discovered that there was not enough room for the throttle control to fit loose enough without causing interfernce with the grip heater wires. So I knew I had to remove the new grip and hopefully take off the grip heater and move it down slighly. These grips went on pretty tight anyway and they certainly did not need any glue to keep them in place. Therefore I thought I might have a chance of taking the trottle grip off. Well I tried to remove it by blowing compressed air into the end of the grip like it was suggested by many on this board.. That allowed me to move it back about an 1" and then it moved no more. I figureg I was going to have to cut the grip off and order a new set. So as a last resort I wonder what would happen if I drilled a small hole in the middle of the grip and blew air into that hole. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled into the grip until I saw a little bit of white plastic come outof the bit, which is the throttle sleeve. I then took my air noozle (which needs to be reduced to a hole dia. around .080") and blew it into the hole and that grip blew up like a ballon and I just pulled it right off. The plastic underneath suffered no real damage, just a small dimple in it and you can barely tell I ever touched the grip because the rubber almost closed over the small hole. Even though I use a 1/4" drill bit, I'm guessing the hole was no bigger then an 1/8" wide. I also drilled the hole on the bottom of the grip so no one would see it anyways. I was able to take the grip heater off, move it down slighly and put it back on. I hope this helps if you ever find yourself in this situation.