Repainting wheels?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPTuner

Reaction score
I've got to put a new set of tires on my '05, so I thought about repainting the wheels because of a few scratches from the previous owner. Anybody used a particular spray bomb that looked similar & lasted okay?

You might consider having them powder coated. Have done that before and they turned out pretty well.

You'd have to get new wheel bearings as the rims have to be completely naked to do this. But they do look beautiful when done :)

You mention painting the entire wheel: To do a decent job, even using spray can paint, you should remove the rotors and that's not a trivial task. It can be one of those things you regret having messed with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I powdercoated my rims. Powdercoating is much more durable than painting and is the best way to go. Getting all the bearings out and the rotors off is a big deal, however. You really need to heat up the hub to soften the loctite on the rotor screws. The bearings will come out easier also if the hub is warm.

I powder coated mine about 7 months ago and they are doing great. Around 18,000 miles on them since the powder coating and no chips at all. The shop had a minimum of $85 for work, and even with giving them the random other pieces around the wheels, I still wasn't up to that. I've had mixed reviews on the yellow, but I have a Camaro SS that is the same color blue, with yellow stripes, so it's just my taste I guess. I'll eventually paint part of the body to tie it in with the wheels.

IMAG0209.jpg

P6230230.jpg

P6240241.jpg

If you really want to do something with the wheels then powder coating is the way to go. I just had both my wheels on my GL1800 powder coated and it is the cat's a$$. I have considered having the FJR done also but that's a while off. Spray bombing a paint job will not last long. Spray paint is far from automotive quality paint and will not stand up near as well. They will probably look worse than they do now before very long at all.

I powder coated my 2008 rims. The only way to go.
What color, pics?

Make sure you drop by the next Tech Day so we can check'em out!

--G
They are black... just like the 2009 model. Love the '09 looks with the black rims - so I PCed them.

My smugmug site was killed last year and so my assortment of MC pics are gone.

But- here is a stock photo of a 2009. I'd say its a spittin' image of my 2008 - even to the tank plastic wrap around to which I swapped for a 2009 black one as well. :lol:

2009_yamaha_fjr_1200_miles_15868683.jpg

I was going to powdercoat mine but decided to polish the outer lip instead.

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: