Replaced Gen II shock with a Gen III shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very likely! I've looked at the shock diagram and it looks similar to 2013 one. I'm sure the part number changes for each generation (gen II shown as 3P6-22210-10-00) but so far gen III and II interchangeable. Heck I might just give it a trial and see how that goes. Worse case is to return it with my own cost.

Arrears dampers are identical between each generation. Therefore interchangeable.
The only diference is the calibration of the spring which is increasingly important with the generations.
spring replacement takes less than 2 hours by taking time any cleaning a / grease

lol, European too...
In fact, YMC heard their customers... In deed, since the FJR exists, the user have only to complain about the rear shock ... too soft ... so they have hardened ...
Furthermore the suitcases were not standard on Gen I, suddenly it was necessary to take into account this systematic heavier on the back of the bike.
Ditto for the top box. YMC was opposed, it is European and US distribution networks that pushed for it. This implies a new heavier machine in the back. therefore a harder damper.

gapiob, you just made a point that I somehow overlooked all these years. The rear shock on the FJR that we all complained was too soft was probably not as bad in Europe where the side cases were an option. In the United States the side cases come standard on the bike. Less weight would need less spring. A very good point.

So I want to order a GenIII shock or maybe even a 2016 shock as they are even less money. Checking reviews of some parts ordering sites show some bad experiences. I am looking for recommendations for sites that you personally have had a good experience with.

boats.net is the site I usually order parts for my FJR. Its price is very competitive. In fact it shipped the shock I order the same day. I plan to change to 2016 one the next day but too late, it's already in UPS hand. I have not experienced with returns so can't say anything there.

boats.net is the site I usually order parts for my FJR. Its price is very competitive. In fact it shipped the shock I order the same day. I plan to change to 2016 one the next day but too late, it's already in UPS hand. I have not experienced with returns so can't say anything there.
Interesting as it appears that boats.net uses another site for it's motorcycle parts. And that site is one that has many bad reviews. I also could not find any year model newer than 2014 on the boats.net site.

Do you have a UPS tracking number already?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used many discount parts places over the years and have never had an issue with any of them. Other than it can take a while - a couple weeks - to get the items as they have to order the all in before shipping.

I always regularly check cyclepartswarehouse.com, stadium yamaha, and YamahaSportsPlaza. I usually end up going with Stadium Yamaha.

Hmm.....

2016 has a different part # than the 13???

Wonder what the difference is?

I bought a couple things from yamahapartsmonster and had a good experience. They're prices were less than most places on the things I ordered. It looks like they are selling the '15 for $457 and the '16 for $379. Partshark is still cheaper by a few bucks.

If you want to search for the lowest price, just put the part number into google.

Yes, Partzilla is usually the cheapest, but not always, so it is worth checking around. At one point in time they were screwing up orders, and they have always had bad communications of the order status. Most of the other online merchants give better service at a slightly higher price.

You (don't) get what you (don't) pay for.

That's a great price at partshark! Glad I bought an "A" model.

Hmm.....2016 has a different part # than the 13???

I thought I read somewhere that Yamaha changed suspension manufacturers on the 2016 FJR. Aren't they now made by Showa? Maybe SkooterG might know the answer to that.

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Hmm.....
2016 has a different part # than the 13???

I thought I read somewhere that Yamaha changed suspension manufacturers on the 2016 FJR. Aren't they now made by Showa? Maybe SkooterG might be able to shed some light on that.

If you want to search for the lowest price, just put the part number into google.
Yes, Partzilla is usually the cheapest, but not always, so it is worth checking around. At one point in time they were screwing up orders, and they have always had bad communications of the order status. Most of the other online merchants give better service at a slightly higher price.

You (don't) get what you (don't) pay for.
I have purchased quite a few items from Partshark, never had an issue.

Interesting as it appears that boats.net uses another site for it's motorcycle parts. And that site is one that has many bad reviews. I also could not find any year model newer than 2014 on the boats.net site.

Do you have a UPS tracking number already?
Yes, I do. You're right that the site does not show any newer year than 2014. I searched for the 2016 rear shock (part # 1MC-22210-50-00) and it shows on other site, ie:

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/56a63c2d87a8660f90652756/rear-suspension

with great price $356.