Riders over 6'5"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuicker

Reaction score
Fellas, I am 6'6" 215lbs, I wear a 36-38" length pant. Obviously I need a larger bike. From my past posts, you'll know I am considering a number of bikes including the FJR.

Just curious to see if there are guys my size who fit comfortably on the FJR without any modifications? The Adventure bikes are a good fit I know.. but I really want an FJR... I think
wink.png

I have yet to test drive anything, but will at some point (just not ready to deal with eager salesman if I'm not ready to buy yet).

ps. on my list in NO particular order

2010+ Kawasaki Concourse-

$13k new. $9k used.

37mpg

7gal. tank size

Includes bags! No cruise control.

2013+ Yamaha FJR

$18k new

$11k used

44mpg

6.6gal. tank size

Includes bags!

2013+ BMW R1200GS (or Adventure)

$23k new + cases (Does not include cases $1000. )
$13k - $16k used

42 mpg

5.3gal. (7.9 on adventure)

Premium unleaded!

2015+ KTM super adventure 1290

$23k new
$17k used

$20499 msrp

38.4mpg

7.9gal tank size

Does it include cases?

2014+ BMW R1200RT

$25k new.
$18k used.

47mpg

6.6gal. tank size

Premium unleaded

2013+ BMW K1600GT- very big -

$26k new.
$13+k used.

31mpg

7gal. tank size

Premium unleaded

Others:

KTM Super Duke GT (out later this year)

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked about a variety of times. Search on tall riders and similar search terms...and you see threads like this one that include people in your height range and ideas.

6'4" here and height is fine for me. Only 170,000 miles on the first one, 40,000 on another, and 20,000 on the last one.

I'm only 6'3 but I'm a little bit "fluffier" than you....I've got plenty of room especially with the seat in the Hi position.

Thanks guys. Looks like Scottie and Nikk are my same build and they say they fit ok. That's good news.

The FJR fits a wide range it seems. I'm 5' 11", 160#, 32 " inseam and I have no problems flat footing at stops or crusing for miles and miles. Once you have the suspension set up for your weight and riding style I don't think the FJR can be bested.

I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam. It's a little tight. My shins hit the bodywork when I'm in the most comfortable riding position. It's much better with seat raised but I prefer my seat in the low position and so does the wife so she can see better. The shins hitting is not a problem and I'm not complaining but I've also thought to myself while riding that anyone with 36" or longer inseam may not like it. I suggest sitting on one while its on the center stand and close your eyes while adjusting to you most comfortable position and see what you get. Try that in both seat positions. I also have the Motorad piece to move the handlebars back which helped.

So nobody really addressed your question in post #1.

If you are interested in the most comfortable bike, and money is no object, the BMW GS is the ticket. None of the others (on your list) is even close. The added advantage is that your wallet will be slenderized so you won't have to worry about it causing any problems with your derriere.

Many, maybe even most, of us have considered BMWs, or even owned them in the past (I have) and come to the conclusion that the cost of admission is not worth the show. Would I have a BMW GS wasserboxer GS if I hit the lottery tomorrow? Maybe. But I have not, so I will not, and the value of the dollar is still significant to this poor slob.

The FJR is not a "cheap" bike, but it can be said that it is a good value. I've never felt that I made a mistake by going with the best value. YMMV.

The FJR may fit you with some modifications. I know a couple of guys here are good size. If not, a GS-A will probably fit you well. That's a big assed bike and taller than a standard GS. My brother has one, and it's a blast to ride.

Checking in at 6' 11" and a 38" inseam.

My '05 has a stock seat, peg lowering brackets, Heli set-back spacers for the handlebars and a V-stream shield.... ya, it's a little tight but a 32 mile RT commute is most of my riding these days and I'm comfortable.

A long trip or just a few hours of freeway time.... hmmm, that might be a different story and I plan to find out this summer. I really like the FJR too much for it to even matter all that much and honestly, I'm somewhat used to being a little uncomfortable (try sitting in coach on a plane). I have sat on a late model GS and it was downright roomy (didn't ride it tho') but I'm a long way from trading four cylinders for two.

Regards,

Mr. BR

I am 6ft 6 and currently 245lbs. I fitted OK on a stock FJR, but have added a raised Corbin and lowered pegs and it fits just fine. I came from an FZ6 so the FJR is a giant of a bike, but when it starts

6'4" 210 36" inseam. Other than putting 1" spacers under the handlebars and setting the seat in its lowest position I have been very comfortable even upwards of 10 hours in the saddle. You'll be happy we all are!!

If I were rich, I'd still be riding BMW. Mine spent too much time in the shop or garage. Of course, my new Yamaha spent a while in the shop too but it didn't cost me anything. On the fjr I use a helibridge and peg lowering brackets to put things right. I occasionally take the lowering brackets off on a whim but go running back to them after a day or two.

Curious what the OP went with.

I'm 6'4", 36" inseam and have a more substantial relationship with gravity than some on here. probably 275. I almost went with the GS Adventure when I was waiting for my 2006 FJR to arrive. I never complained about the height. It would have been a nice ride I'm sure. But I waited and have loved my FJR and have done a number of all day rides on it. You already know it is one of the premier long distance bikes.

I added a lowering kit to my pegs and that made a very good difference. Have to be more careful of foot position as it becomes very easy to drag a toe, but with lousy knees, there was really no alternative. Later I added a handlebar riser and went with a Russell seat. My Russell sits higher and I have plenty of leg room now. However, I don't think it would have worked without the riser at the bars. Also, a taller windshield. The bike fits well and I still don't see anything that I like better after 11 years. I would get another in a heartbeat.

I was never comfortable, for distance or otherwise, with the stock foot position. MCL lowering brackets were worth their weight in gold. Quite a while later, after getting a laam seat, I took off the brackets. Not because I needed to, just because I tinker with stuff. The ergos with the helis, laam seat, and stock pegs are the magic triangle i'd been missing. I still like lowered pegs. But I don't need them like I did before the laam seat.