Riding to D&H Cycle to pick up a 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the offers. I am staying at my sister's place in Blairsville, and can work on the bike. My plan is to bring some tools and have John purchase materials for the service at D&H at the same time he buys the bike. It only takes a few minutes to do the oil and final drive service and to check things over. If anyone has the current 2016 600 mile checklist it would help, but if it's anything like my 2005, it is a piece of cake, and we can save some money and time.

If it's like the '14 and the '05 (as you know), the owner's manual will have the maintenance schedule items.

I talked to Gerald about the 600 mile service. His recommendation was, as long as the bike has less than 2000 miles at the time of service, just ride it.

Oh hell! I could have got that advise from the forum!

I'm really looking forward to basing a couple days in Blairsville near the Copperhead Lodge. A trip report will follow.

Why don't you just make it a double pick-up Tom? Once you go GEN III, you don't go back!
coolsmiley02.gif

Tell your brother congrats and you two have a fun trip.

--G
I keep telling you guys, it's a Gen IV. Even has a different ECM and some brand new bugs.

I wonder why Yamaha says to change the oil at 600 miles. Gerald must know something the manufacturer doesn't... If I just spent all that $$,$$$$ , there would be a service in my 600 mile future.

But hey I'm funny that way.

I wonder why Yamaha says to change the oil at 600 miles. Gerald must know something the manufacturer doesn't... If I just spent all that $$,$$$$ , there would be a service in my 600 mile future.But hey I'm funny that way.
Could be to flush out the filings!

I wonder why Yamaha says to change the oil at 600 miles. Gerald must know something the manufacturer doesn't... If I just spent all that $$,$$$$ , there would be a service in my 600 mile future.But hey I'm funny that way.
It's probably so you come back pretty quick so you can buy a new matching helmet, or some other accessories.

Yamaha also says to replace the brake hoses at 4 years. If you are religious about the 600 mile service, make sure yer religious about that one, too!

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha rightfully conservatively wants to make sure any residue from manufacturing is removed.

Not so much residue, as particles resulting from wear during the initial mating of gears, etc. The filter is going to catch anything big enough to do harm, but may start to restrict flow, so a change will clean it out, and ensure everything is as it should be.

I got to Cullman in good time, arriving at 5:10 PM CDT and went straight to D&H Cycle where the assembly and checkup of the bike was just being finished. Meanwhile my brother was still stranded in Tampa due to a flight delay, and I'm still waiting to see him. Meanwhile, I got to sit on the new bike and talk with the shop guys about best care practices. This dealership may deliver more FJRs than anyone, and they have some different ideas on some of the forum wisdom out there. And, once the seats and bags were assembled, I got to be the first to throw a leg over the new bike and carefully scuff the bags and leave a momento. :)

92648C44-09FB-404A-BCA4-FE03431AED12.jpg

The trip down started at 6:50 EDT and as I headed down I-79 I was treated to a nice strong rain shower. The weather lifted as I headed through WV and Ohio, then started getting hot as I passed Louisville. I had a salad bar lunch and lots to drink at Frich's Big Boy, then got back on the road. As temperatures lifted into the 90s I broke out the cooling vest, and kept drinking water. It worked. I felt pretty good The GPS shows a reasonable max speed of 93 and moving average of 72 in 751 miles. Considering several heavy traffic backups I did okay to get here in 10:10 hours.

I have never super-slabbed for so long without a break to secondary roads. You see the most amazing things. There was this poor guy who was driving erratically on I-65. I guess he lost something, because his girlfriend had her face in his lap looking for it. Driving motorcycles, thank goodness we don't have to worry about such distractions. My only mishap was letting my uClear earbuds fall off the tank bag at the last fuel stop. As luck would have it, they landed right on the catalytic converter decapitating one of the speakers. I don't have the uClear speakers, but I do have the Autocom, so I just re-routed everything through that. I had forgotten how responsive, but-free and fast the Autocom is compared to Bluetooth. Hung out at the garage for an hour or so, checked into the hotel, and got dinner. Looking forward to the rest of the trip if John ever gets here.

I forgot to mention the best part of all...The guy building the bike let me know the 2005 Galaxy Blue was the best color ever.

And the 2016 has soft paint.