Roadrunner Roadrunner runs down the road all day..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ps. don't mind Steve, he has altitude sickness
'tis a bad thing to have when you're away from home..

Try a couple of these and call me in the morning.

PA1110_Bloody-Mary-with-a-Kick_lg.jpg

Maybe we should start an altitude sickness klub?

One of you' puter savvy geeks should get to work on an avatar, er.. whatever you call them little tags at the bottom here

:jester:

Steve - when we ran the Going To The Sun Road back in July, the construction did stop us twice - once on each side of Logan Pass. Considering your lack of fondness for heights, I think it'd depend on if you're going east-to-west, or west-to-east. We entered from the east side of the park and rode west, so when we were stopped by the construction, we had the rock wall to our right and a lane of road to our right. If we would have been going the other way, then we woulda had the drop-off into the valley (with little-to-no "Oh Crap!" room and no guard rails) directly to our right.

Oh - and the construction areas were some crappy dirt, but if you made it through the dirt roads up in Quebec at CFR, you'll be fine.

It's an insanely, incredibly beautiful road. If the weather is clear, go for it if you're up to it. And plan on it being chilly and windy up at Logan Pass.

Maybe we should start an altitude sickness klub?One of you' puter savvy geeks should get to work on an avatar, er.. whatever you call them little tags at the bottom here
That's not something to be proud of, Bust. At EOM, if you get 'altitude sickness,' you get an 'award.'

Jes sayin'...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update.

It appears the coolant temp relay has gone on Tom's bike. Diag's checked okay. We jumped the fan to the battery and it spooled right up. With all the electrical crap on Tom's bike, getting to the relay is major surgery. Rob has run to Radio shack for some terminals, switches and an inline fuse and were gonna jury rig up a manual switch that Tom can thumb when the fan needs to be on.

We should be on the road in a couple of hours.

We got out of Missoula shortly after lunch and ran up through Northwestern Montana. WOW. Incredibly beautiful. We stopped for lunch at a small restaurant called Benji's in Plains Montana. I had the best Meatloaf and mashed potatos I've ever had in my life. $8 and you could feed 3 people with it. Highly recommended. We continued on and had to don the rain gear as a storm was blowing in. Got a little wet and rode out of it. The problem was the wildlife on the Hwy. Antelope, Deer, Turkeys.. Hell, Arlee (I think it was) had bambi's running through the center of towns mainstreet!

We stopped for pics at scenic pullout for the Cabinet Mountains:

IMG_0246.jpg

While we were reading the sign telling us about the prime grizzly territory we were greeted by rifle gunfire nearby echoing off the mountains. Whoever it was couldn't hit the side of a barn. I didn't know FJR's were in season!

We crossed the border at what must be the best border crossing in existance at Creston. Other than showing her my passport she wanted to hear about our trip. No line up either. Cool!

We decided to aim for Castlegar BC to spend the night. This is the view coming down the mountain:

IMG_0249.jpg

Ran next door to the Super8 for some good Canadian beer and ended up bumping into a group of riders heading toward Nakusp (site of last years CFR). Rob and Tom are still down there drinking with them LOL!

Good times good times!

Tomorrow, Parksville for WCR!

I'm soooo jealous, Steve. You guys be safe & above all, have fun. See you in a couple of weeks, eh? Expect I should not ask you to bring me some Canadian beer. Dernit!

Heidi

Steve, with the mechanical problems, and weather, [SIZE=8pt]and the irrational fears[/SIZE] :D , I'd say this thing is

now officially qualified as an "adventure"! :clapping:

Great posts. Cool photos.

Don't slack off once you're in Parksville. We'll expect the same quality reporting, even though

you'll be distracted by alcohol, giggling forumites, ...and that thing Niehart does with

tequila, a condom, and his big toe.

Ride safe, ...and I hate all of you bastards. :D

"and that thing Niehart does with tequila, a condom and his big toe." Sigh! This's what I hate most about missing out on an FJR Forum Event: Good Quality Entertainment! Ya Bastards!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report Guy's. Have a blast.

( Oh BTW, Heidi likes Canadian Rye and cigarettes in the Parking lot till all hours of the night.) :beach:

...Then, it was gut check time for me. Beartooth Pass. Remember, I'm the guy whose scared shitless of heights. Well, I did it, and I didn't piss my pants or cry like a little girl. But it was damn close. That fuckin' road is fucking ridiculous! I didn't stop for pics. but Rob and Tom did. I just wanted DOWN....

I know EXACTLY what you mean...but you do it anyway because this is an adventure...

Great trip report guys.

Hope Tom's bike gets all sorted out.

You guys passed an incredibly scenic road - Montana Highway 135 between Paradise and I-90. Woulda been a nice scenic detour for ya.

Steve, with the mechanical problems, and weather, [SIZE=8pt]and the irrational fears[/SIZE] :D , I'd say this thing is now officially qualified as an "adventure"! :clapping:

Great posts. Cool photos.
What the Old Feller said! :yahoo:

...and that thing Niehart does with tequila, a condom, and his big toe.
Hell, OM - I thought that was you, Carver and Dolly...

You guys passed an incredibly scenic road - Montana Highway 135 between Paradise and I-90. Woulda been a nice scenic detour for ya.
Yes they have missed a bunch of roads but sometimes you just have to boogie,

It always sucks when to have a hard rendezvous date, we found that out last year, all the tension disappeared after we made it the CFR and then could take our own sweet time for the following 6 weeks.

I think you could spend the rest of your life in the PNW, BC and Alberta and still find new places to explore.....You also need a lottery win.

sigh (thinking of last year again)

Chris

Yes they have missed a bunch of roads but sometimes you just have to boogie, It always sucks when to have a hard rendezvous date, we found that out last year, all the tension disappeared after we made it the CFR and then could take our own sweet time for the following 6 weeks.

I think you could spend the rest of your life in the PNW, BC and Alberta and still find new places to explore.....You also need a lottery win.

sigh (thinking of last year again)

Chris
Couldn't agree with you more.

Hey Bungie and crew,

Sounds like an amazing trip. Scenery out west kinda blows your mind after getting used to Ontario's.

Keep safe. Watch for Bambi.

Peter

Sorry no pics from today. We were busy hauling to get to Parksville before dark. Hwy 3 across the bottom of the province is stunning. The Manning and Crowsnest area... lets put it this way, the scenery is so spectacular that 'normal' mountain views become mundane.

Anyway, were here in Parksville after an hour long ferry ride across the Straits of Georgia. I met Niehart btw, I took a clue from everybody else and kept him in front of me. Fairlaner, MadMike and the whole PNW gang is here. Their all out in the party lot getting their party on. Me, I snuck away because I just no how hissy you guys can be when you don't get your daily fix.

We've got some fun pics of Tom riding a big black cock. Honest. Man, that one is gonna cost him!

More pics 'n stories to follow,.

Glad you all are there safe and sound.

And I hope them left-coast wussies hang out in the party lot later than they did at WFO.