Rostra Cruise issues.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
Ok, I need some help here...

I have installed a Rostra electronic cruise control. This one Here I used Ed's instructions that Is posted Here

I have the gain set to Extra Low, I have the pulse set to the highest it will go (38600 pulses/mile)

I have tried many of the engine/setup timer settings, I have the VSS Source set to square wave input (to use ecu vss source), I have tried both auto and manual transmission, control switch set to open circuit using the keypad that came with unit.

Servo is installed under the rider's seat and the power is connected to the tag light circuit for power and grounded to a chassis bolt. Gray VSS wire is tapped into pin 18 on the ecu (white/yellow wire). Violet brake wire is connected to the brake light circuit so 12v is supplied when brake is pushed. I have the tach wire connected to a coil wire at the ecu (this might be my problem)????

The rest of the wires are not needed or go to the key pad which are color coded...

Problem is the cruise will not engage most of the time. I can feel the throttle bump in my hand when set is pushed but something just kicks it off. Sometimes it will set and when it does it pulses up and down (speed) I figure if I can get it to engage when I push the set button I can adjust the pulses out by the engine set up timer...

For those of you that have installed this cruise successfully please let me know the settings and wiring you used.

Installed on a '07A FJR

Thanks,

Richard

Are you conducting your tests on the road or with the bike on the centerstand?

Fast reaction times will not allow it to work without load. ( on stand. )

I'm also suspicious of the ground-to-frame. I'd prefer direct to battery.

Are you conducting your tests on the road or with the bike on the centerstand?

Fast reaction times will not allow it to work without load. ( on stand. )

I'm also suspicious of the ground-to-frame. I'd prefer direct to battery.
Road testing....

I had it grounded to the grounding harness. I didn't think that was a good enough ground so I did what the directions said and grounded to a good chassis ground.

I have installed a Rostra electronic cruise control. This one Here I used Ed's instructions that Is posted Here

I have the gain set to Extra Low, I have the pulse set to the highest it will go (38600 pulses/mile)

I have tried many of the engine/setup timer settings, I have the VSS Source set to square wave input (to use ecu vss source), I have tried both auto and manual transmission, control switch set to open circuit using the keypad that came with unit.

Servo is installed under the rider's seat and the power is connected to the tag light circuit for power and grounded to a chassis bolt. Gray VSS wire is tapped into pin 18 on the ecu (white/yellow wire). Violet brake wire is connected to the brake light circuit so 12v is supplied when brake is pushed. I have the tach wire connected to a coil wire at the ecu (this might be my problem)????

The rest of the wires are not needed or go to the key pad which are color coded...

Problem is the cruise will not engage most of the time. I can feel the throttle bump in my hand when set is pushed but something just kicks it off. Sometimes it will set and when it does it pulses up and down (speed) I figure if I can get it to engage when I push the set button I can adjust the pulses out by the engine set up timer...

For those of you that have installed this cruise successfully please let me know the settings and wiring you used.

Installed on a '07A FJR

Thanks,

Richard
Rich,(1) you need to install a relay on the brake wire, we need a ground(good one)on the cruise brake wire and when the brakes are applied the cruise sees the lose of the ground and 12volts.(2) The auto manual setting makes the tach input more or less sensative, (auto trans kicking down a gear rpm goes up )so You went the manual setting. How ever this tach wire will /can cause some problems I cut mine really short and grounded it,( to stop stray rf) with the cruise set NO disengagement with tach. Your Not going to like the next one. I used the same wire on my 06a and never got the dam think to work, I think the vss signal is to high, I even put a vss adapter on it for a dodge that cuts down the vss signal. The only way I got the cruise to function correctly was install magnets on the rear wheel. A craft store in town had a package of ten almost the size of the allen bolt holes, so with a dremel tool and vise grips I cut (2) down to fit inside the bolts head that hold on the brake disc. Mounted the pick up coil on the bolt that holds the abs wire.Make sure if you do this that eather positives or negatives are out they both have tobe the same, they give the cruise a pulse on rotation and they went tobe in phase. If you removed the throttle spring reconnect it and make the cruise throttle slack very small, to much slack will cause the cruise to surge and drop out. I even put a relay for the ign. and assy wire from the battery energized with the lights. The cruise has the power to lift 85lbs,just fyi and this cruise is factory for the victorys. I've done alot of audiovox,dana,rosta cruies and this model is really a great unit, mine locks in and holds really nice, along with it I put one on my son-in-laws stratoliner.I tried the vss on the strat too and ended up with magnets. Bill

Installed on a '07A FJR

Thanks,

Richard
Rich,(1) you need to install a relay on the brake wire, we need a ground(good one)on the cruise brake wire and when the brakes are applied the cruise sees the lose of the ground and 12volts.(2) The auto manual setting makes the tach input more or less sensative, (auto trans kicking down a gear rpm goes up )so You went the manual setting. How ever this tach wire will /can cause some problems I cut mine really short and grounded it,( to stop stray rf) with the cruise set NO disengagement with tach. Your Not going to like the next one. I used the same wire on my 06a and never got the dam think to work, I think the vss signal is to high, I even put a vss adapter on it for a dodge that cuts down the vss signal. The only way I got the cruise to function correctly was install magnets on the rear wheel. A craft store in town had a package of ten almost the size of the allen bolt holes, so with a dremel tool and vise grips I cut (2) down to fit inside the bolts head that hold on the brake disc. Mounted the pick up coil on the bolt that holds the abs wire.Make sure if you do this that eather positives or negatives are out they both have tobe the same, they give the cruise a pulse on rotation and they went tobe in phase. If you removed the throttle spring reconnect it and make the cruise throttle slack very small, to much slack will cause the cruise to surge and drop out. I even put a relay for the ign. and assy wire from the battery energized with the lights. The cruise has the power to lift 85lbs,just fyi and this cruise is factory for the victorys. I've done alot of audiovox,dana,rosta cruies and this model is really a great unit, mine locks in and holds really nice, along with it I put one on my son-in-laws stratoliner.I tried the vss on the strat too and ended up with magnets. Bill
If I wind up having to use the magnets where do I get the sensor?

Also I just had an idea. I installed a Audiovox c-100 (vacuum one) on my dad's bike about a month ago (Honda VTX 1800). I used the coil wire as a speed input and it works flawlessly. Why can't I use the coil as a speed input for the Rostra???

Could/would the Rostra use a coil input for a speed signal? In high gear (if my figures are accurate) the coil fires around 6000 times a mile. The cruise could easily handle that rate. Even if the coil fires at every engine rotation (I don't know if it does or not) that is only 12000 pulses per mile which is still in the lower range of the of the cruise...

That coil input is what we're using for the tach wire. I don't know what putting it both tach and speed would do, maybe it would be fine.

There is something weird about the FJR's VSS signal. I thought it was just that it was so fast, but maybe it's shaped wrong, or a bit weak in amplitude. I just don't know.

On the AVCC, we use ONLY the tach wire, which the AVCC is happy with. The Rostra wants tach AND speed. Maybe the same signal could feed both, I don't know.

That coil input is what we're using for the tach wire. I don't know what putting it both tach and speed would do, maybe it would be fine.

There is something weird about the FJR's VSS signal. I thought it was just that it was so fast, but maybe it's shaped wrong, or a bit weak in amplitude. I just don't know.

On the AVCC, we use ONLY the tach wire, which the AVCC is happy with. The Rostra wants tach AND speed. Maybe the same signal could feed both, I don't know.
You Guys are going to love this info, The same time I was doing the rosta on the fjr my brother was doing the av100 on his sv650 tach only so I used his pick up coil and it didn't work so I got the kit for the rosta, I don't remember the 250- number but I got mine from a store that sells and installs the rosta here in Mt.Vernon wa. Mobile Music Unlimited It must have had the wrong rap rate ????. The rosta will only work with a vss signal or magnets one or two,for rear wheel or front. I used two magnets on the rear wheel becouse of the dia. between the bolts. Drive shafts are smaller so the pulses would be faster. Iam trying to get the pictures I took on line for you. Rosta uses the vss as a speed signal the tach is a safty only signal,in cruise clutch in it will rev 2/300 rpm and drop out.Its easer to connect one wire then mount and wire a clutch switch in a car and thats what this cruise was built for.Like I said I've done a ton of these and this fjr REALY had me going and the stratoliner with its backword throttle and mounting locations was a good one too. Bill

If the magnet kit is used the manual says dip switch 10 (vss source) needs to be set to off. When it is getting a signal from a source other than the ecu vss and the dip 10 is off are the settings for pulses for mile still active or does it cut them off also?? In other words. are the pulses per mile settings only for an ecu vss and not used at all when another source is being used???

Latest posts