Rotor bobbins still a little tight after cleaning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Reaction score
The bobbins were stuck and the brakes ticked at low speed. I loosened and cleaned them. The lever is now higher, the brakes work much better and the noise is less but not gone.

I couldn't get them loose enough to rotate by hand. I can't get the rotors to turn on the former or move noticeably at all.

What other things can I do to loosen them up?

Did you spray the bobbins with brake cleaner as you turned them? They can hold quite a bit of crud. Otherwise they're fine, can't always turn them by hand. But as long as you "broke them free" you're good to go.

I did, thanks.

I went for a good ride and they are still ticking and clattering when stopping.. not as much as before, so at least this is the right thing to be doing.

I did, thanks.

I went for a good ride and they are still ticking and clattering when stopping.. not as much as before, so at least this is the right thing to be doing.
How many people clean their floating rotor bobbins? I never have and no issues with brakes. Never replaced a rotor or had unusually fast brake pad wear. 450,000 km on two Gen II FJRs...

Edit: Not saying it is a bad idea, just that I never felt the need. I looked through the service manual (electronic version) at every instance of "brake disc" and found no reference to cleaning bobbins or buttons or rivets or any other brake disc maintenance other than removing oils. Trouble shooting consisted of measuring runout and rotor thickness. I have read about cleaning floating rotors on many forums but have not seen it recommended by Yamaha or other manufacturers...

Last edited:
I clean mine every year doing my spring prep. I have a rubber "cone" that goes into a cordless drill. A quick shot of brake cleaner, stick the cone in the bobbin, give it a quick spin and done. Takes 10 minutes, never had any brake issues.

Wow! I'm actually seeing a discussion that is like none that I've seen before! I am really intrigued by this "procedure". What would prompt one to clean the bobbins? Is there a symptom that presents if they are in need of cleaning? The reason I ask is because I have an odd chatter from the front brake when using moderate to firm braking. The chatter is not so much heard as felt in the lever and the handlebars. It only occurs when the brakes have been warmed up after riding for a bit. Would cleaning the bobbins have any effect? The front rotors do not have any unusual wear or markings on them. I changed out the original pads for EBC HH pads and this had no effect on the chatter.

Check out this guy (language is a bit colourful but he knows his stuff).

What would prompt one to clean the bobbins? Is there a symptom that presents if they are in need of cleaning?
I thought the discs were warped but they're not. The pads were wearing more on one side of each caliper. The clicks and clunks are easier to hear when almost stopped. It's been causing me to take it easy as though the discs were damaged and about to fail.

After cleaning the lever takes hold earlier as though the pads are sitting closer between uses. At low speed they come to a stop with more confidence, almost feeling like the self energising effect of drums, only better like discs ;)

Ugh, I'm soo confused. Do I clean my bobbin or not? ;-)
Yes, but not how they show it on YouTube...

I use a soft brush with car shampoo in water to clean my wheels and I lightly brush the brake disks at the same time. Simples...

Also, I use a soft toothbrush with a little car shampoo in water followed by brake cleaner and a dry cloth to clean and dry the brake pistons at each service.

Oh, and in case anyone asks, I have over half a million kilometers (>310,750 miles) of riding motorcycles so I've done my fair share of cleaning them...

She's kept relatively clean (only 27,000 km - 16,780 miles only on my current FJR).

FJR_Garage.JPG

This guy is a genius. Fun as hell to watch and he makes motorcycle brakes so easy to understand. Thanks for posting this.
He is extremely clever indeed. Though, sometimes, he forgets us mere mortals aren't as clever and can unintentionally (and sometimes intentionally) denigrate us sometimes.

I understand cleaning while performing a repair. This thread sounds like people are doing it as a periodic event.
Also know that when spinning metal parts (bobbins and the wave washers) it causes micro-scratches. Those will not respond well to the heat generated during normal braking.

Nobody mentioned repair. You mentioned "periodic maintenance", which is what changing pads is. Which is what cleaning bobbins is.

One of the main functions of the bobbins is to keep heat from the rotor's braking surface away from the carrier, avoiding warping. So "micro scratches" are a non-factor. Should we stop using turn signals because activating them will wear out the switch contacts with micro scratches?

Once it happens, you won't have any doubt about it.

In any case it takes time to build up. First the warped like sounds, then more gritty. Then when it sounded like the pads were running over a crack in the disc I said I'm not going to wait around for that to happen.

Lucky I was wrong.

Nobody mentioned repair. You mentioned "periodic maintenance", which is what changing pads is. Which is what cleaning bobbins is.

One of the main functions of the bobbins is to keep heat from the rotor's braking surface away from the carrier, avoiding warping. So "micro scratches" are a non-factor. Should we stop using turn signals because activating them will wear out the switch contacts with micro scratches?
I suggest we agree to disagree on the need to clean brake bobbins.