Say no to slow KTM 1190R in the right hands

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be clear, Fred, I don't have one yet. Just a secure place in line when the next one arrives locally in May/June. Given the relative scarcity of the R bikes on the West coast, I figured it would be wise to line one up in advance.

Approx price of entry?
Don, I'd like to say "to be negotiated" but I haven't heard of anyone getting a material discount of list. MSRP for the R is $16,800, and $16,400 for the standard, which is slightly more than the new Tenere, and less than a similarly equipped GS. Somehow I doubt I'll be getting much of a break unless I want to wait till next winter. On the plus side, farkles seem to be much cheaper than expected. Heated grips add $150, a skid plate is under $300, and it comes well equipped as standard. Other than potentially adding some side cases/bags if I want to tour, some decent tires, and a tank bag, not much to add.

Well documented Dave! Now, of course, I must own one...so it looks like the KTM 690 Enduro R must find a new home this Fall, to encourage the entanglement with the new 1190R! Naturally, by then I'll be able ti ride it like your Kiwi video friend, and I won't miss the light and lithe 690R.
wink.png

Please watch carefully in Sept/Oct as pigs fly in your area, too...LOL

Yummy, yummy bike the 1190R is. Well done Crusty!
Gee Duane, I think the STenere as you and George have equipped it is quite the rig. I sure enjoyed the test ride on yours, short and on-road as it was. And the new STen has the upgraded e-suspension from the FJR now, albeit the MSRP is up to $16,100 (likely discounted though). It's still a great contender, and if I already owned one AND a 690, I'm not sure trade the flexibility of the wee 690, especially if you plan to spend some time in the drier Central WA climes where that smaller bike would be much more flexible than the bigger KTM. I'm not selling the Husky for exactly the reason that it is a 275 dirt bike with a license plate. The AltRider guys sure seem to have fun:

To be honest, I still have minor reservations about a chain vs. shaft drive bike, mostly for the extra expense of chain maintenance. A shaftie like the STen would be nice, plus the extra reliability of the Yamaha is a plus. But....factor in the great stock suspension, the trick ABS, traction control, and then look at the major power differences....well, those doubts tend to be overlooked. Although, reading the Orange Crush section of ADVRider, it's clear that the STen is the much easier DIY bike.

And Kevin, flattery will get you a test ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hazarding a guess that Huddie bear:

• shacked up with a local bar wench
  • went home and woke up with 4 new pair of little eyes gazing lovingly at him while calling him "our new papa"
  • is now laboring away on fishing boat that was rejected from consideration for The Deadliest Catch because its captain just wasn't bitchy enough.

Given that I liberated him from a five and dime in deep dark Kanuckistan, I'd say he still drew the longer stick.

…so it looks like the KTM 690 Enduro R must find a new home this Fall,…
Brother Duane, when you decide to sell your KTM 690 Enduro R please give me first dibs on it. Since I keep getting older/fatter/uglier and much shittier at offroad riding I have to have a totally lighter off road bike than my current Salma Hayek for the April of 2015 Mexico Trek, BMW F650GS Twin. The top two contenders right now are the Honda XR650L and the Suzuki DR650SE, but it is an established fact that I am Krazy for Kraut Krap and it doesn't get any Krautier than an Orange Pumpkin Katoom ese!

IMG_3428_zpsa665c31b.jpg

Don lusting after my 990 Supermoto T. back on the first Ruben Run. Had to keep an eye on him. That new 1190 is da bomb and I suspect in a few years I'll replace my 990. I know just how much you enjoyed your test ride, this is with out a doubt the most "FUN" bike I have owned and a real hoot on the back roads or the track. Those Brembos are heaven when it's time to get on the binders. The rear tire will always have more miles on it. Oil changes are just bonding time with your machine.

Get a centerstand and the chain really isn't that much work. I use the Honda chain lube, real clean and easy to work with.

Black and Orange baby!

IMG_3428_zpsa665c31b.jpg

Don lusting after my 990 Supermoto T. back on the first Ruben Run. Had to keep an eye on him. That new 1190 is da bomb and I suspect in a few years I'll replace my 990. I know just how much you enjoyed your test ride, this is with out a doubt the most "FUN" bike I have owned and a real hoot on the back roads or the track. Those Brembos are heaven when it's time to get on the binders. The rear tire will always have more miles on it. Oil changes are just bonding time with your machine.

Get a centerstand and the chain really isn't that much work. I use the Honda chain lube, real clean and easy to work with.

Black and Orange baby!
Richtig! You all do know the definition of a Perfect German don't you? That would be an Austrian, Bitte! Es geht mir Gut, Schatzie!

Offroad, the 1190R seems to wear the crown amongst the ADV bikes. But what about on-road? How is the 1190R as a streetbike?

1. 1190R does battle with a Ducati RR. Watch (at 1:04 and 2:57) how he tries to keep the front from coming up on full throttle. I see about 125 mph (203kph) come up awful fast on that speedo too.

Wow.

I'm not normally a prude about this kind of thing, but the guy in the first video making a pass on the painted center line with an oncoming car at 170 KpH (at 3:04) had my sphincter pretty well puckered.

I finally got to see a 1190 Adventure at a local dealer and it was pretty impressive. I wouldn't buy a bike just because of a lot of advertised HP but the build quality and attention to detail made my S10 look like a plain Jane. It even had a comfortable seat and the seating position seemed perfect. If the semi-active electronic suspension and the other electronics work as advertised then KTM has raised the bar for everyone else....I hope the reliability is as good as the detailing.

Yeah, but in this fantasy, would you get the 1190 Adventure R, or the road model? Both were on the floor of the dealer down the street here in Murrysville PA and I was so confused about which one I liked most, I didn't get either one.

Actually I like the R

But I'm married.

Yeah, but in this fantasy, would you get the 1190 Adventure R, or the road model? Both were on the floor of the dealer down the street here in Murrysville PA and I was so confused about which one I liked most, I didn't get either one.
Actually I like the R

But I'm married.
I would go with the Adventure because I don't have any interest in off-road riding except for the occasional trip on a improved dirt road. I did a little research after I got home and it looks like the actual weight is about 530 and the electronic suspension is NOT semi-active, just 3 presets. The preload on the rear spring, however, can be set by the dealer to match the rider's weight and then the ES has 3 additional preloads to compensate for a passenger and luggage. I think I was most impressed by how well I fit on the bike, it seemed like it was made for me.....and that was before any foot peg or seat adjustments.
It seems to make around 128-130 HP on a dyno with a pretty flat torque curve and after riding a Multi-Strada with about the same weight and HP, its safe to say that you will never be needing more HP or acceleration.

I wish it had a shaft drive and I like riding bikes more than working on them......but the maintenance requirements are an unknown at this point.

I finally got to see a 1190 Adventure at a local dealer and it was pretty impressive. I wouldn't buy a bike just because of a lot of advertised HP but the build quality and attention to detail made my S10 look like a plain Jane. It even had a comfortable seat and the seating position seemed perfect. If the semi-active electronic suspension and the other electronics work as advertised then KTM has raised the bar for everyone else....I hope the reliability is as good as the detailing.
Sell two and just go ahead and scratch the itch...you know you want to!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

Sell two and just go ahead and scratch the itch...you know you want to! :coolsmiley02:

--G
Sounds like a plan.....but it will only work if you do the maintenance for me......in my garage.

Dave I rode with a guy this past weekend and he got his 1190R from Wenatchee.

Well, no deals appear to be had in the PNW area, as this model is about as rare in these parts as a politician in favor of tax cuts is in Olympia, so sending the business to the local Issaquah dealer. Lord knows I've wasted enough of their time over the years, so worth giving them the business. Their next R is still a month or so away, and I'm in no hurry.

I'll bide the time surfing the AdvRider forum. You know, that's the one with the readers who have thick skins and don't mind a little towel snapping on their forum. Whole damn AdvRider forum is NSFW, just my kinda place. 'Cept for those p#$%%#!s riding GS's.