Say no to slow KTM 1190R in the right hands

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, he's growing a set and ain't even got the bike yet!
flirt.gif
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155841-mother-of-all-mexico-dirt-bike-rides-april-in-2015/page-1 +1, Gunny; Congratulations Hudson, be on the Mexico Ride in April 2015 on your new Katoom! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lessee, who's next on the Katoom test ride: Auburn? Check. Piehart? Check. Panman? Check. Duane? Check. Carver? Hmmm....
banned.gif

Carver, here's the real back story: my doctor gave me three options to "boost the octane": lil blue pill, testosterone shots, or a KTM.
(His fourth option, a Corvette, had the nasty side effect of increasing the size of the a-hole, so best avoided).

Missus Hudson can't put up with me for 5 min, let alone risk 4 hours, so the blue pill was out. Testosterone shots might possibly shrink my carefully crafted man boobs. Only the KTM let me dial in just the right amount of mojo (it has "Mojo control"), and unlike the Matchless, there's no messy clean up.

MC007, I felt the same way as you when I first sat on one. Controls all where they should be, ergo's great, seat not too bad for stock. Unlike you, however, I have a 31" inseam and will need to find a cobbler to add platform heels to my riding boots in order to flat foot her.

Tyler, how hard is it to ride in high heels?

So. let me get this straight. You are saying that the target Katoom buyer would be a guy that has no ED but nice moobs?
unsure.png

Lessee, who's next on the Katoom test ride: Auburn? Check. Piehart? Check. Panman? Check. Duane? Check. Carver? Hmmm....
banned.gif

Tyler Bustanut joker, HotRodZilla, RadioHowie and BikerGeek99: How hard is it to ride in high heels?
Fixed.

So. let me get this straight. You are saying that the target Katoom buyer would be a guy that has no ED but nice moobs?
unsure.png
No, Fred, though that would be a pretty accurate statement for most of the FJR crew.

Lookin at you, Beemerdons and Carver.

EYES.gif

No kidding... a K1100RS? No way!

Now if it had been an MV Augusta or BiMota he might have had a (peg) leg to stand on.

And he "did not present enough supporting evidence"? I guess the "issue" must have subsided before the court date?

Dragged the CFO to the local bike shop today to check out this bike.

I sat on it....then asked her to get on board...asked if she was comphy back there, she said she was.

But judging by the growing expression of dread on her face, I must have been getting rather excited about the bike.

I think a bike like that could actually inspire me to take a bike off pavement....intentionally.

That's how it starts, TripperMike. Just don't do the test ride unless you are ready to buy one, otherwise as George says... hook, line and sinker.

I wonder what I would have to sell to finance one of these overpriced break-down likely, high dollar parts priced pig of a dirt bike?

I really, really, REALLY don't want one.

Really.

flirt.gif

I wonder what I would have to sell to finance one of these overpriced break-down likely, high dollar parts priced pig of a dirt bike?

Really.

flirt.gif
Me thinks he doth protest too much.
Not really Fred. Fuel & oil pump failures have been an issue in the past with KTM. I seriously looked at a 690 Adventure but a KTM mechanic told me to stay away from the bike if you don't like being stranded. KTM parts are pricey even by BMW standards.

Really.

flirt.gif
Me thinks he doth protest too much.
Not really Fred. Fuel & oil pump failures have been an issue in the past with KTM. I seriously looked at a 690 Adventure but a KTM mechanic told me to stay away from the bike if you don't like being stranded. KTM parts are pricey even by BMW standards.
I really hate agreeing with yamafitter, I mean I really do hate agreeing with Billy Fitz; but, this thread from Adventure Rider is why I backed away from the KTM 690 Adventure.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576561

Of course, Fitkowski is still all pissed off about that Warsaw incident 75 years ago! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

P1420on1050ca_obl119017C0ona_Warszawa.jpg

OK, find me an adventure bike that handles anything close to a KTM off road that is reliable.

If you listen to internet sages, the FJR is a bug ridden mess of a bike.

To me an Adventure Bike describes a 50% street 50% two-track bike ridden with others who can help pick it up if needed. If you have friends who ride these bikes you might be more likely to ride to the bikes full potential. Not too many people want to drop a bike that could cost hundreds of dollars to repair or get their leg stuck under 500+ lbs of tech so they generally don’t stray too far from firm surfaces. They can serve as a great touring or two-up exploration bike and make the perfect justification to buy a super-cool helmet with a visor. The average rider goes to Starbucks to kick tires, meet with other ADV riders then group rides to lunch hitting some gravel roads on the way. Water crossings are the highlight of the day and supremely picture worthy.

Dual Sport bikes on the other hand are capable street bikes but comfortable in the dirt up to moderate singletrack. They can be dropped and picked up by the owner when riding alone. The average rider stops at Starbucks to take a piss if a McDonalds can’t be found. Packing a lunch that is still edible mid-day is of prime importance. Water crossing are also coveted photo ops with this group but your buddy stuck under his bike is the Holy Grail of digital capture.

Dirt bikes with lights are miserable on the street but capable of almost any dirt trails you will find. The average rider doesn’t know where a Starbucks is and grabs a cup of 7-11 coffee on the way to trucking their bikes to the trailhead. Beef jerky and a tug from the Camelbak is what’s for lunch. Pictures are few and far between because no one wants to ruin a camera or lug it around.

Suspension mods and aftermarket add-ons can blur the lines on the categories but ultimately it is who you ride with, how you ride, and your culinary expectations that should determine your purchase.

^^^^^^^^^

So where does a WR450F with a chainsaw on the back fit into all this......

DSC_0003-L.jpg

No Starbucks close by plus the coffee is too expensive there. I have been known to forge across the odd creek crossing and I do have a GoPro camera that I take on rides sometimes. I've even backpacked my Nikon D300 at some cross-countries but I don't race anymore since getting the knee replaced so I just take photos at some of the better spots.

OK, find me an adventure bike that handles anything close to a KTM off road that is reliable.
If you listen to internet sages, the FJR is a bug ridden mess of a bike.
If you had actually read my post I didn't listen to Internet sagas, I listened to someone who has access to all the KTM service bulletins and works on KTM's for a living. Before you attempt to blow him off as just another shop grease monkey I should mention that he does have some decent credentials as a previous team mechanic on one of the national series MX teams.

To me one of the big advantages of the KTM Adventure bikes over the other Adventure brands is that KTM uses a 21" front wheel where almost everyone else are using 19's. This gives you more stability in the loose terrain. I wanted the 690 KTM because it would be lighter than its big brother and I would have a chance to pick it up when dropped. For the purposes of this discussion I'm putting the 650 KLR in the Dual Sport class. I have spent a month on a 990 Adventure and it was a great bike. I'm looking for an Adventure bike that will go across the country with some gusto. Every time I ride a KLR 650 I twist the throttle and almost nothing happens. The big advantage to a KLR is that you can fix them with bubblegum and a rock.

You can make a KLR or a V-Strom handle properly if you are willing to spend a lot of cash on aftermarket suspension but being a cheap Yankee I know that would never occur to you. I always thought a V-Strom with an Ohlins suspension would be a killer Adventure bike. Stock V-Stroms are known to have great motors but the suspension is overtaxed if you try to jump over a twig.

I'm just not a big fan of green.