Scheduled to ride a Can-Am Spyder tomorrow...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always kinda gone w/ the theory that anything more'n a mouthful/handful is a waste, ...but dang, one big enuf to RIDE! ...That might be stretching it a bit [pun somewhat intended]!

Well, it was worth the test drive, but I'd NEVER consider buying a Can-Am Spyder. It looked cool, sounded cool, had a decent amount of power, but what a screwy frinkin' ride! At speeds over 40mph the steering felt way too sensitive and the faster I went, the worse it got. Also at highway speeds, providing even minor steering inputs gave me the feeling like I was on the edge of high-siding. High speed handling felt generally just squirrely. Cornering at speed felt equally as weird. The unit doesn't lean into the corners at all, so when taking sharp corners you have to slip your body left and right on the seat, to keep from being throw off the damn thing.

Bottom line, it was an interesting experience, but as the test drive ended I was seriously glad to get off of it. I got the feeling that no amount of time on this machine could create an atmosphere of riding confidence. The 15-20 minute test ride left both my hands tingling from the vibration in the bars. Oh, something else... I noticed one of the demo Spyder's with only 3800 miles on it, had both its front tires seriously worn out on the inside. Makes me think there might be bugs in the beast, (or a front end alignment problem, don't know). Anyway, I got home and took a ride on my FJR - just so I could purge the Spyder vibes! Ah... the FJR... glad I own one! :D

Next I'd like to experience driving the "Carver." It definitely looks fun to drive. Any of you Forum folks seen this thing yet?

See: https://www.carver-worldwide.com/Home/Index.asp?nc=1

How about you FJR riders in Europe. Have you gotten an opportunity to try a Carver yet?

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
Next I'd like to experience driving "Carver." definitely looks fun to drive. Any of you Forum folks seen this thing yet? Have you gotten an opportunity to try Carver yet?

SR-71
Ya wanna drive Carver? Why the hell ya wanna even be near that guy? Lives out in the wayback (jed clampit style) so I here, and ain't all that pleasant either. Runs down deer and generally just plain ornery. But whatever floats yer boat :blink:

:jester:

FJRBluesman - My review was on the Can-Am Spyder, which I quickly learned is one weird damn machine! One 20 minute ride (actually 3 minutes into the ride), made me realize the Spyder wasn't going to get my nod, and I was very happy to get off the thing.

My post also mentioned another machine, the Dutch made "Carver." This is a trike that hydraulically "leans" through the turns. I believe it uses a 660cc turbo-charged engine, and does about 115mph. Evidently the Carver is already selling in Europe, but so far hasn't been modified or approved to sell in the US (yet) - but perhaps someday it will. Google: Carver + motorcycle, and watch the video. It looks like a fun machine!

SR-71

Bustanut - Hell, if he runs down deer and is generally just plain ornery, ... he's ok in my book! :coolsmiley02:

Besides, it takes someone a bit crazy :crazy: to come up with a weird damn trike like that! :D

During my Can-Am Spyder test ride, I had a big-wheeled four wheel drive pickup ALMOST run right up my ass. He locked it down and came skidding within 10 feet of me. I was sitting still, behind the lead sales guy.

Made me realize just how invisible that machine is because of its extremely low height and limited profile. And I was riding the bright yellow one!!!

It's a glorified Quad IMO. Probably is a blast to ride around crowded beach front roads like Myrtle Beach, Hawaii etc. But has no business on the open roads of America.

Handling the beast is just like racing a dirt quad, except you don't slide off the seat, you just swivel with the seat. It's definitely weird and scarey almost all the time.

Good on ya Jeff! My sentiments exactly regarding that thing.

Though it's a neat looking rig, :unsure: I don't see where it's going to catch on very big. To damn busy of a ride for me.

:jester: