Schuberth C3 modular helmet (ride tested)...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I crash tested my C2 last fall spending quality time grinding it down the road on the asphalt. Great helmet, never even had a headache.I have a couple Shoei helmets and liked them so I replaced the C2 with a Neotec but it isn't as quiet as the C2, wish I would have bought the C3.

Unlike Fred I do believe a cheap helmet IS a cheap helmet.
In my research, those who upgraded from the C2 to the C3 said there's a world of difference in the additional quietness. So if you thought the C2 was good.... hmmm?

Fred is a pretty smart dude and he speaks from his wallet, which in this economy is not all that bad.
I have a good bud who went from a C2 to a C3 and could not believe how much better it was.

I always spend more money than I need too..................we know what today is.

I learned after wearing the C3 with buckle is to just not over tighten it.for me its 2 clicks. Very easy to over tighten the buckle

I just purchased this one. It will be here this week and I will let you know the results. HJC's seem to fit me the best. I must have a square head or something. I was looking for something lighter since my cervical area of my spine has been bothering as of late. A new shock might help that also.
uhoh.gif

https://www.compacc.com/p/HJC-RPHA-MAX-Align-Helmets

Dave

Depends if you like the chin buckle or the D-rings. I'm not a fan of the chin buckle especially when they dig in... maybe improved on the C3-Pro?
I don't whale down on it and I guess I'm use to it as all my sled helmets have gone to this years ago. I like the quickness and glove friendly part. I know there are a lot of you D-ringers out there and that's kewl too.

RayRay, from memory, ur a square-tire kinda guy... so you gotta have a square helmet to match!
punk.gif
Hey, hey, start chill'n down the brew, we'll see you (n Jill?) at CFR!
KJ, if there were any square corners on my head, they got knocked off during my substantial career in the auto industry..... besides, ain't got no stinkin' Beemer, so I don't have to match up with anybody at Starbucks. Beer's a chillin'......... see ya up north.

Quote from someone on the Ducati Forum: "if you have a $50 head, wear a $50 helmet"
Coming from a Ducatti forum that doesn't surprise me.

Still, that is a common phrase and one of the most stupid things I have ever heard. A helmet marketer's dream come true.
I believe it was Motorcyclist magazine that did an extensive helmet test many years ago. I don't remember all the details, but do remember that their take was that even the cheapest $100 helmets provided good protection in crashes. The only thing that higher price helmets provide is more "features". I'm not bashing "features" because it's nice to have a helmet that has effective vents, a removable/washable liner, a shield that doesn't rattle or leak, etc. You just have to decide how much you can afford and whether you want to drive a Geo Metro or a Lexus.
The Motorcyclist story:

https://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

And a pertinant quote:

If

you can't bring yourself to wear a $79.95 helmet just to get excellent energy management, you'll feel very

comfortable with the Schuberth, which sells for $640 to $700.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the search for a quieter helmet I got C3 last year. I do have to agree that its a good quiet helmet. A few observations I have made is that when wearing on my Aprilia Futura which has a sportier riding position than a FJR is that the eye port seems a little low on the top and its also a little noisier whith my head in the tipped down sportier riding position. Today if all goes wellthere may be a 2007 FJR1300 following me home. Im curious if the helmet will be even more quiet on the new bike with its upright riding position and better air management.
I just read the manual for my C3 last night. Interestingly, it says that it was designed for optimum airflow and acoustical performance (i.e. "quietness") in a "sport-touring" position. I would imagine it would follow that the visibility is similarly optimized for that position. They also emphasize that the bottom of the helmet (i.e. your neck) should be protected as much as possible from the dirty air coming off your windshield. Makes sense to me.

Whole-lee-fawk!..

I just pulled the trigger on a C3-Pro. I either got no brains at all or maybe it means that I actually do. TwT! Went w the Hi-Viz Yeller as I'm trying to convince myself that this 'pocket drainer' was (is) half about safety. I may have to drop my Internet, satellite tv and cell phone so ya may not see me anymore... I know, I know, yur like...
yahoo.gif
:)

C3_Hi-Viz_Yellow_open_zoom.jpg

I Purchased online at Motorcycle Superstore C3-Pro on Tues (4/2) Delivered at my door Thurs (4/4). Super fast shipping and the helmet looks great. Superior quality as reviews mention. 16 improvements over the regular C3 including another 2db quieter!

I went with MotoSuper for the purchase cuz they didn't charge the extra +$30 as other dealers were for the HiViz color.

Couldn't wait to get it inside, unpacking at the doorstep... (like a kid at Xmas!)

IMG_20130404_173703_308_zps0bfa4272.jpg

My new (XXL) next to g/f's (Women's Small). Not far off shell size-wise...

IMG_20130404_174216_823_zps79278294.jpg

Yikes. $769!!
omg2.gif

(that's US dollars, not pesos or yen)

At least you got "Free Shipping"
haha.gif

This little accessory makes my $200 Scorpion EXO-900 31 dB quieter for about 25 cents and comes in HiViz!
wink.png

Yikes. $769!!
omg2.gif
(that's US dollars, not pesos or yen)

At least you got "Free Shipping"
haha.gif

This little accessory makes my $200 Scorpion EXO-900 31 dB quieter for about 25 cents and comes in HiViz!
wink.png
My wallet knows this all too well, thanks for reminding my brain! ;)

I wanted THE undisputed quietest modular helmet on the planet, I paid for it.

I got 2 coats of clear-coat protectant on her already, probably another after a ride (anal!). As Shuberth recommends, storing in bag, even out of any daylight and with their new shell carbonate, I have up to 10 years of use and protection w German quality that is clearly second to none. Probably will be springing for new internal pads of course to make this 10 year strut.

She's a Keeper! Very, very Happy!

Got back to the dealer, now the bad news. $700 buck-o-las.
Ordered one directly from a bike shop in Germany and it was $555 CDN all in landed at my door!

Very happy with this product.
punk.gif

Topspeed, you are really starting to irritate me.
smile.png
After riding all day yesterday with my Nolan N-103 Noisemaker the thought of a C3 pro is "Sounding" really nice. The fact that you keep throwing in little hints about the GirlFriend which means NOT a wife, is really making me jealous. If I did not have a wife, I could probably afford a Schuberth.

I cannot ride with earplugs because Dad and I are talking on the ScalaRider the whole time. Well, actually, I am the one talking all the time. Dad is mostly just tolerating, but that is not the point. We both have the Nolan Noisemaker and the noise is so bad that each of us can hear the other's wind noise. If we ride with earplugs, we can't hear the Scala. Running the windshield up high enough to block the wind noise is not pleasant either. It has to be so high that the bike is not as much fun to ride and in summer it is NOT an option.

It is only money after all but I wish it were not so MUCH money.

Oh and thanks for the review of the C3pro. I don't know too many people who have sprung for one of these little money buckets. I appreciate and value your opinion on this thing and I already know for a fact that the BMW dealer here in Baton Rouge has them in stock. If I go to the BMW dealer to look at this thing and they have a burgundy K1600GT on the floor, I will be getting a Voodoo doll with your name on it!

Topspeed, you are really starting to irritate me.
smile.png
After riding all day yesterday with my Nolan N-103 Noisemaker the thought of a C3 pro is "Sounding" really nice. The fact that you keep throwing in little hints about the GirlFriend which means NOT a wife, is really making me jealous. If I did not have a wife, I could probably afford a Schuberth.
I cannot ride with earplugs because Dad and I are talking on the ScalaRider the whole time. Well, actually, I am the one talking all the time. Dad is mostly just tolerating, but that is not the point. We both have the Nolan Noisemaker and the noise is so bad that each of us can hear the other's wind noise. If we ride with earplugs, we can't hear the Scala. Running the windshield up high enough to block the wind noise is not pleasant either. It has to be so high that the bike is not as much fun to ride and in summer it is NOT an option.

It is only money after all but I wish it were not so MUCH money.

Oh and thanks for the review of the C3pro. I don't know too many people who have sprung for one of these little money buckets. I appreciate and value your opinion on this thing and I already know for a fact that the BMW dealer here in Baton Rouge has them in stock. If I go to the BMW dealer to look at this thing and they have a burgundy K1600GT on the floor, I will be getting a Voodoo doll with your name on it!
lmao! ...UR a funny guy! Hope we meet up someday
smile.png

...but please no voodoo stuff, I need all the help I can get! (plus the burgundy BMW you speak of is in the GTL model for '13).

So, Sunday was 70 and sunny here, after a shop day Sat we decided to head out for a 200+mile journey to nowhere here in New Yawwwk. The C3Pro was awesome, I can finally raise my windshield up some (and no buffeting or air pocket backfeed!). And as by the pic, she sticks out like a sore thumb as well....

IMG_20130407_174433_514_zps1ecd2f92.jpg

Got back to the dealer, now the bad news. $700 buck-o-las.
Ordered one directly from a bike shop in Germany and it was $555 CDN all in landed at my door!

Very happy with this product.
punk.gif
Sounds like the price range of the regular C3, but very nice- Glad you likey!
smile.png

Here is a link to a company in Germany that I bought my helmet from. When shipping DHL, it gets taken care of by Canada Post and no other taxes are paid. Look at the price Without the VAT. Upon check-out when the system sees that the helmet goes to Canada or the USA, then this tax falls away and you will pay only $529,=. Now that is more pallatable. The shipping will go up to about $23,=.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/sec7283b80d5f/?ObjectID=32354814

Good Luck.

Here is a link to a company in Germany that I bought my helmet from. When shipping DHL, it gets taken care of by Canada Post and no other taxes are paid. Look at the price Without the VAT. Upon check-out when the system sees that the helmet goes to Canada or the USA, then this tax falls away and you will pay only $529,=. Now that is more pallatable. The shipping will go up to about $23,=.
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/sec7283b80d5f/?ObjectID=32354814

Good Luck.
Just to clarify from your post^

We are (were) talking about the PRO version (C3-Pro). You're talking about standard C3, but I will help you compare apples to apples from your selected site. Here's their listed C3-Pro just like the one we were talking prices on ...as you can see, much more expensive than the plain C3 and yes even on your site! ...which by the way your site is way more expensive than the Motorcycle Superstore C3-Pro ;where I purchased mine.

So, they (your site) wants 675.00 (Euros) for the C3Pro which equates... 675 Euro(s) = $877.763 US Dollars and this is with NO VAT or even shipping added! holy schmamigma bro, don't steer our friends to this site :(

my $.02

I bought the Scorpion EX900 as I wanted the features of a modular/transformer helmet but couldn't justify the coin for either the Shoei or the Schuberth given the cost of the Scorpion. I rode with it on a 4K KM ride to Nova Scotia and back and found that the noise and weight were very tiring over the course of a day for 8 straight days.

Last year while getting ready for another major ride I popped for the Schuberth C3 as I wasn't willing to ride with the EX900 for extended times. To my joy the isolation and lighter weight made the tour far more enjoyable and memorable as I didn't find my self ready to call it a day right after dinner due to fatigue.

While both helmets will adequately protect you in an off but the C3 provided extra comfort and what I suspect was an increased alertness in the saddle especially nearing the end of each day.

Others will respond that they have no such issues and so the extra money is waste but for me it was worth every penny.