SE Ohio ride August 4th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ran a van up from I-70 to Freeport, Gnaddenhutten, Midvale, and Atwood Lake area. Those are not on your current route list, but thought I'd throw out that there's a lot of re-surfacing going on.

Route 800 had lots of patches but nothing bad and would be nice to ride. On the other hand, 342 and much of 258 were fresh tar and stone that were fairly well camouflaged once past the warning sign boards. They would have been like riding on ball bearings with a 2 wheel vehicle.

If you see the tar & chip signs, watch your butts till you know what you've got.

At this point it's still looking like a no show for me.
Hey Mark...did you pencil in 260n/537e off of 26?It's a 14 mile loop that starts and ends on 26,it's a good one.I imagine Bryguy's been over there checking it out,maybe he can give you the lowdown on it.

Have fun guys.
Hey Denny,

so what yer sayin is to keep going east on 26 until I get to 260n, head left/north until I get to 537e take a right/east on that until I get to 26...head west on 26 until I get to 260s...head left/south on that to continue the route I have already?

Also, your comments from last fall on the west end of the route was to take 329 south out of Trimble instead of 13...and take 329 south that all the way to 144. I'll modify the route to include that.

Is 555 just south of 78 is still pretty graveled up like the last two years???

We'll get this route whupped into shape yet.

:)
Concerning the 260/537 loop...the way you have it above will work

if you want to run all of 260.It should all be freshly paved now,and it's pretty good the whole way.I know it's a little out of the way to run that little loop north and then back south to 260,but I think that section of 260/537 is the best stretch of 260.If you like 536,you'll like that loop,it's tight!Of course if you like it as much as I do,you could always just turn around and ride 537 back to 260 and just keep heading south.That's what I usually do. :yahoo:

As for 329...I suggested that to by-pass Athens.It's mostly straight,but there won't be much traffic.I wouldn't take it all the way to 144...that would cut out 690.If you're coming from the north,just take a left onto 329(either east or south) in Trimble,follow 329 to 550 at Amesville.Take a right(west) onto 550.Follow 550 about three miles to 690.Take a left(south) onto 690.Once on 690,you'll be back on your route.

Sorry if I'm confusing ya,hopefully it'll be worth it.

And to further confuse you...356,just west of Athens,should be done now.It's kinda like a kid in a candy store,and every year ODOT gives us new candy.Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a ride over there this AM. 537 is new pavement :D 260 is freshly paved from 537 to 26.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got down to 26 with new pavement from the Washington/Monroe County line heading South past 260. It was starting to get a little rough in areas on that Southern end of 26.

Which ever route you decide on, it's going to be nice!

- Bryan

Well here is an updated route for this SE Ohio loop...350 miles of good roads.

2010Rambleroutemap-350miles.jpg

Joe/Bryguy... do you want turn sheets or gpx files? I use a foldemup.type map...but some people got gps thingies and like gpx files.

Let me know.

EDIT: Because my son David has a smaller gas tank, I was gonna do stops in 100 mile increments...on these roads that's probably a good time for a breather/sip of water anyway.

Gas stops at point 12, point 23, and in Woodsfield. Lunch stop in Marietta at whereever...you guys pick. Thought we'd take an extended stop in Woodsfield at one of the places there...unless you guys have to hit the road.

And if for some reason you need another detour rt. 83 between 78 & Cumberland is a nice new ribbon of asphalt. :rolleyes:

And if for some reason you need another detour rt. 83 between 78 & Cumberland is a nice new ribbon of asphalt. :rolleyes:
Thanks Tom...I doubt if I am able to get over there on this trip...but the next one for sure. I rode 83 in 2004 and 2005 and really liked that scenic road.

Too much road candy, not big enough hands to grab 'em all this time. :D

Thanks Tom, if I end up taking a 1/2 day on Tuesday I might just have time to go exploring a little before the boys from Wheaton show up :good:

Route looks great!

No, I probably don't need a turn sheet. But thanks.

Joe, I may be available to ride on Tuesday. If you want some company, let me know.

-Bryan

bump....are you available Bockelrider, et al?
Wow I would like to go but.........there is always a butt in every crowd.

#2 son just bought an o5 FJR and we are heading out for a 3-4 day ride to the Dragon. Aug 6-9.

We will be at the Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville NC if you are in the area scouting!

I will be working on the 4th and thinking of you guys!

Ride safe!

Steve

Not sure why I forgot this but as of last Friday rt 536 was marked as closed for repair.

We ran it on 7-23 around 9am & rode past the "Road Closed" sign & were able to get through. They were repairing the road & replacing some guardrail, some equipment was in the road but nobody was around.

Not sure why I forgot this but as of last Friday rt 536 was marked as closed for repair.
We ran it on 7-23 around 9am & rode past the "Road Closed" sign & were able to get through. They were repairing the road & replacing some guardrail, some equipment was in the road but nobody was around.
THANKS for the headsup Tom. Depending on how we feel at that time of the day, we may run 536, or we may run down then back up 255 (that can't be all bad :D ), then take 78 east, then back west on 556 after our short run on 7 along the OH river...

Thanks again for your scouting help for this out of towner... :clapping:

THANKS for the headsup Tom. Depending on how we feel at that time of the day, we may run 536, or we may run down then back up 255 (that can't be all bad :D ), then take 78 east, then back west on 556 after our short run on 7 along the OH river...

Thanks again for your scouting help for this out of towner... :clapping:

Here is the area that was closed