Security Freeze: Thwart Identity Thieves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindofblue

Reaction score
I don't know about you but I've been notified by various companies several times over the last several years that databases on laptops that contain my personal identification have been stolen, etc..(the VA being the most recent). In researching whether there was anything I could do proactively (other than have my credit accounts monitored) I ran across this:

New Mexico recently passed a security freeze law that give you the right freeze your security so that no one can get credit in your name. Information about this has been published by Consumer's Union click here but it looks pretty generic.

I personally have just send in requests to freeze our credit with the three different agencies.

All but a handful of states now allow you to freeze your security.

Check this site out to see whether you can

I thought some of you might be interested in this.

Go figure.... Arizona has the highest identity theft in the country, and we can't freeze our info. <_<

Go figure.... Arizona has the highest identity theft in the country, and we can't freeze our info. <_<
I was all ready to start a grass roots campaign in NM to get this passed when I learned it had just been passed. Maybe you and other like minded individuals in AZ could do it! :clapping:

This involves sending a letter to each credit bureau depository - Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

Be sure to "unfreeze" your Bureau about three weeks before taking out a loan so the bank - or credit union - can access your credit.

You ALWAYS have the option - in every state - to add a "statement" to your bureau instructing those who do pull your credit to call you FIRST before extending any credit. Add two or more phone numbers.

Make sure you register in the National Do Not Call List and also make sure you tell your credit bureaus (above) to block your file from any "promotional" access.

You can if you are the victim of ID theft, or if sensitive info has been stolen (ie: your wallet), and it's free if you have this happen.

My office is responsible for investigating ID theft and I'll tell you, I'm still AMAZED at how intelligent these thieves are.