Shift pedal adjustment ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto

Reaction score
Hi!

How does one move the shift pedal up on a 07 (new boots - a bit hard to get under shifter).

The owners manual shows moving the shifter peg to a different hole on the arm. My bike does not have the holes in the arm as the manual suggest.

Thanks for any help,

Are you sure? All these bikes have the same shifter lever. They all have three holes in them. Take a mirror and look at it from behind. You'll see them. :)

I'm really not sure what majicmaker is talking about...3 holes??? Where??? He has one of those infernal push-button shifters, so he may have lost his mind just a little.
tongue.png

Take a look at this...there are 2 ways to adjust the shift linkage...

Method 1 - Pull the bolt (yellow arrow), then pull the shifter arm and rotate it clockwise one "click"...there is no actual "clicK' but the shaft the arm is attached to is slotted to allow movement in small increments.

Method 2 - Loosen the two nuts (red arrows) and rotate shaft #22 to screw-adjust the shifter pedal up or down.

Method 1 is faster, but much less precise. You CAN use method #1 to move the shifter a bunch, then use Method 2 to "fine tune" the new position set with Method #1.

shifter_zps217fa201.jpg

Uhhhh..... I'm talking about the three holes on the arm where the rubberized foot peg attaches to. Isn't that what the OP is referring to? I have three holes in mine. What the Hell are YOU talking about?

Signed, Confused in WPB! :))

Edit: Maybe it's a GenII thing. Not sure! But, that's what I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, now guys. I'd sooner take a grinder and to the top of my boot to make it fit then have an argument !

I don't see the holes at the rubber shifter pedal. But there are two dash marks on the plate just behind the shifter? -- do you think I should take the cover off all the way back to the passenger peg? Perhaps the dash marks have some thing to do with a adjuster.

Make no mistake, I appreciate the advice (and the picture RADIO H)

Take care

Maybe it's an AE thing. My manual shows it, but my bike don't have it. The three holes thing would have made it easier to adjust my shifter. I did the Howie method.

Sorry Magic...leave the conversations about the real motorcycles to the big boys.

Aw shit Moto...I just saw your post...I was too busy laughing at the other two.

The marks on that case are for your shifter. You're not supposed to adjust outside of them. Mine is near the top mark. Its been a long time and I don't remember if the panel has to be removed or not, but taking that thing apart and lubing the points behind it is a good idea anyway.

Using the 'turnbuckle' to adjust the shifter is pretty easy and will help your foot fit.

Don't worry moto, this wasn't an argument. Howie and I are actually related by blood. Don't ask! My dad was laying some seeds all over the place back in the day. It's all good! :)

If you have an '07 you have the same arm as I do. You've got three holes in it. If you're looking at it from the outside looking at the rubber peg you can't see them. The size of the peg covers all three of them. Get a mirror and look at it from the nut side. You'll see them there.

Now, if you need more room than any of the three holes will give you. Then you might look at Howie's method. That picture is obviously for a GenI. Maybe they only have one position for the peg. :)

Manicmarker - did mirror trick. No extra holes, looks like a pressed on post (as hotrodzilla has on his).

Hotrodzilla - about marks on case. Good info. I did not know that. The bottom of my shifter arm lever is level with the bottom case line.

I will try the Radiohowie method and move #16 one 'click'. If that does not work I'll just ride in flip-flops.

Again, thank you all,

Moto

Dad has an '07 (Gen2) with the conventional transmission and (I think!) he adjusted his exactly the way RadioHowie suggests. He moved the splined shift lever one set of splines and then fine tuned it with the turnbuckles.

Excellent pic and instructions by the way RH!

I've had to adjust mine every time I got new boots. Didn't think it was that big a deal. That's what the turnbuckle thingie is there for! It's like an adjustment or something for the height of the shifter peg relative to the foot peg. You know, so it can accomodate different kinds of footwear.

I've never bothered with the change the arm on the shaft, I've always had enough room with just the turnbuckle.

And this isn't the only motorcycle in the world with such an adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...I never moved my shifter from its splines. I just did the turnbuckle adjustment. Don't make it more difficult than it is. I THINK if you move the shifter to different splines, you're gonna have to adjust the turnbuckle adjustment anyway...Not completely sure of that as I have not done it.