Shoei, Shark, and Fog

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kneedragger55

Reaction score
Looking for a new lid. I actually found a few good threads on here referencing and reiterating some of the things I've been looking into, but decided to start a new thread because I have a few questions I haven't seen answered. Fist, I was surprised to see some folks actually wearing Shark helmets. I've had a RSR2 for 6yrs and I really liked it. I found it for around $350 in a size S, the small is tight, a definite "race fit", and a M would be better. Bought the GF a Shoei RF1100 4yrs ago and she loves it, again on discount and a size M. Since we wear the same size, I figured it would benefit us both. So....a quick comparison of both before I ask a couple questions. I'll keep it brief since they don't even make the RSR2 anymore.

Shark RSR2

Plushest lining I've ever seen. Super soft and comfortable. The padding on the roof of the helmet is lackluster. It's just not very thick and I can feel the inner helmet. Love the 3mm visor and the anti-fog treatment. It never fogs on me, even on chilly mornings, and it's just now starting to wear down, although it still works. Visor changing is a breeze, but the overall setup is a tad outdated. My chrome visor (still 3mm) wasn't a Shark, but made to Shark expectations and did not have a anti-fog treatment....it fogs. Biggest benefit of this helmet is it's weight, it's only 2.75 lbs. ITS SUPER LIGHT!! Biggest drawback, it's super loud. I didn't realize how loud this thing was until I started wearing the Shoei, and it's a dramatic difference. Ventilation is good, but the helmet is literally so loud that it could be venting from everywhere. One downfall is that since I have a small, it's impossible to wear sunglasses. They pinch and hurt like hell on longer rides. I have the tinted visor but...I just like the breeze what can I say.

Shoei RF1100

Soft liner and amble padding everywhere. I like the precut speaker slots, didn't even know those were there. Installed a 20S with no shim padding and it works great. Helmet is comfortable enough to wear long days and has good ventilation. Visor mechanism is good, but I really would like a thicker visor (I'm used to the 3mm). NO FOG TREATMENT!!! Ugh, this sucks. Not sure how you produce a $500 helmet that fogs this bad. It's ridiculous. The weight isn't bad, but it's nowhere close to the Shark. Although heavier, it doesn't seem to wear that way riding, which is a definite plus. Quite, quite, quite....shhhh. No noise, excellent.

These things have been said before, yes I know, but figured I'd throw another 0.02

The new Shark Race R-Pro has my eye. Anyone have one? They've apparently changed the shape from the RSR2 (narrow oval) to normal oval, so I'm not sure about the fit. They're expensive and impossible to find on sale, and I could always order from Revzillla to test fit, but would never pay that price. If I order from discount like UK, there's the returning and restock....blah. Race R Pro has new bamboo wicking padding, speaker slots (I think), and eye glass grooves (great for sunglasses). Also super light. Wondering if the noise is similar to RSR2 though? Has the pin setup for fogging as well and a wopping 4mm tapered visor with no visual distortion.

Tried on a RF1200 and liked it alot, just more helmet than the Shark. More weight, bigger shell. In hand its a big difference, not sure about riding. I've read it's super quiet like the RF1100. Pins for fogging and plush liner. Shield isn't as thick. Benefit is I can find one on sale and I have actually tried it on.

Is there any kind of spray for anti-fogging? Experiences with good products? I'm looking to stay under $400 and willing to hunt sales. Any additional info for the RF1200? Not a fan of the Arai helmets. Visors have limited viewing window, dincky mechanism, and are bulky. I'd love to find an opinion with the Race R Pro, but it'll likely be hard to find. Not sure why sub 3lb helmets are so rare? Other brands I'm not familiar with like Nexx or whatever I'm just not sure about....feel free to elaborate.

Just get what fits YOU, appeals to YOUR tastes, and is affordable for YOU.

Done.

Helmets are very personal items, as such there will be many differing opinions, which proves how subjective it can be. Hence my first sentence of this post.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea but....I'm a science guy. Fit is one thing, people have different shapes. But a shield mechanism that 90% of people complain about needs improving. A 4" viewport is smaller than a 5". And silk is softer than wood.

That said, if I could give you a helmet that fit you within your budget but was lighter, quieter, larger view, softer padding, thicker visor, would you not be interested? All those things in bold can be based on facts.

Bell. (Think outside your pre-judged box.) Your criteria:

lighter: quantitative
quieter: opinion, not science
larger view: quantitative
softer padding: opinion, not science
thicker visor: quantitative, but how is this relevant?

and, like LKLD said, you left off the most important criterion: fit, which is, again, opinion, and not science.

I just bought a Shoei GT Air for 380. It is on close out from a bunch of places. Cycle gear matched the price. It has a pin lock and was not fogging up at all while we were riding all over Arkansas in with Temps in the 30s. I am a convert forever.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Yea but....I'm a science guy. Fit is one thing, people have different shapes. But a shield mechanism that 90% of people complain about needs improving. A 4" viewport is smaller than a 5". And silk is softer than wood.
That said, if I could give you a helmet that fit you within your budget but was lighter, quieter, larger view, softer padding, thicker visor, would you not be interested? All those things in bold can be based on facts.
^^^^^^^^

Well said!!!!

Bell. (Think outside your pre-judged box.) Your criteria:
lighter: quantitative

quieter: opinion, not science

larger view: quantitative

softer padding: opinion, not science

thicker visor: quantitative, but how is this relevant?

and, like LKLD said, you left off the most important criterion: fit, which is, again, opinion, and not science.
I love Bell motocross helmets, but haven't had one in a while. I'm guessing you have a Bell? What model? Their newer stuff is supposed to be nice, but they didn't produce a top tier street helmet for a while right? I do see a few motogp guys wearing them.

Quieter is measurable (decibels). Softer is also measurable (Mohs Scale), I'm pushing it here but yea I get it. Thicker visor is important to me because I'd rather it not shatter when I wreck, or bend when I put it up or down. I like my 3mm Shark visor over every helmet I've owned, it just feels more sturdy, has less glare, and I feel better protected. It's also rated for F1, which means it damn well better be safer. Also, nicer visors have better optical clarity, which the Shark Race R Pro has advertised.

Quantitative = numbers = data = science. I welcome opinions, because although we may not use Mohs scale to "measure" the softness of our helmet liners, if 9/10 people say 'that liner is scratchy as hell'; I'd say that's quantitative too, and Moh would likely agree.

It's an individual thing. When I'm wearing a Nolan, I forget I have a helmet on. But Shoei is super quiet. I have a couple of Bell's, but don't reach for them often, due to noise.

Im looking at a new scorpion ex0 920 that just came out. I have a milti tech and rf1000. My delima is I dont know how it fits compared and have no scorpion dealers anywhere around.

Helmets are an individual thing, but I'm much like you. I really like the Shark RSR 2. I had one a number of years ago until it was used to old age. I ride an awful maybe 30k to 40k a year so helmets get old faster. Last spring I ordered a replacement RSR 2 from FC Moto in Germany at closeout and still use that one. I just looked and found that FC Moto still has them for $218.00. So if you want a medium RSR 2 use this link.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/sec9e89ab1748/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Shark-RSR2-V-Absolute-White/SubProducts/Shark-RSR2-V%2B-Absolute-White-0002

The new top on line bells are really good. Lower line stuff, not so much.

I love Bell motocross helmets, but haven't had one in a while. I'm guessing you have a Bell? What model? Their newer stuff is supposed to be nice, but they didn't produce a top tier street helmet for a while right? I do see a few motogp guys wearing them.

Im looking at a new scorpion ex0 920 that just came out. I have a milti tech and rf1000. My delima is I dont know how it fits compared and have no scorpion dealers anywhere around.
Really? Not sure if you have "Team Powersports" since you're on the EC, but most of them around here stock Scorpion helmets. I was surprised to find that Cycle Gear stocked both Arai and Shoei. Buddy has a Scorpion (not sure the model), it has a built-in tinted screen (if you like that) and comfy insides. He really likes it, but I haven't looked into them much.

Helmets are an individual thing, but I'm much like you. I really like the Shark RSR 2. I had one a number of years ago until it was used to old age. I ride an awful maybe 30k to 40k a year so helmets get old faster. Last spring I ordered a replacement RSR 2 from FC Moto in Germany at closeout and still use that one. I just looked and found that FC Moto still has them for $218.00. So if you want a medium RSR 2 use this link.
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/sec9e89ab1748/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Shark-RSR2-V-Absolute-White/SubProducts/Shark-RSR2-V%2B-Absolute-White-0002
I literally have been looking at this link for the past two days!!! That's a great deal!!! But....that graphic is my least favorite of them all, and that's the only one they have in a M. Good to know you used FC-Moto though, as I'm still considering it. The RSR2 is a great helmet. Would love to try a new Race Pro though and see the differences.

Living in the Pacific Northwet, one of my requirement is ability to use a pinlock shield. Otherwise I would spend half on my season driving fogged up blind.
Now is the first I've heard of the pin lock system, I never knew it existed. Not sure how people got by beforehand as my Shark has the treatment and works beautifully for fogging. That's why I was wondering about sprays, etc for helmets that didn't have that stuff.

I just bought a Shoei GT Air for 380. It is on close out from a bunch of places. Cycle gear matched the price. It has a pin lock and was not fogging up at all while we were riding all over Arkansas in with Temps in the 30s. I am a convert forever. Good luck and happy hunting.
I switched from RF-1200's to the GT-Air and love it. I love the flip down sun visor and it is just as quiet as my 1200.

I do have a Scorpion Exo 1100 and like it a lot. The absolute most fog free shield I've ever seen.

I used a Shark RSi (no longer avail.) for racing/track days for years. Best fitting helmet for my long oval head I ever used, like it was made for me. Under those conditions, never had an issue with fogging.

I have a Shark RSI as well. It's mostly sitting as a spare, but I used if for a while a few years ago and kind of agree. It fit real well and comfortable, was pretty fog resistant, but was just not as nice as the RSR 2.