Shoei, Shark, and Fog

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend at work has race r pro and he loves it better than his evoline 3 modular (also comments its fairly quiet as well). however the rf1200 is considered the golden standard by many as the helmet to buy if you only have one helmet to own.

Thanks for the feedback. Walter good to know SOMEONE owns a Race R Pro haha. I too have a couple friends who own RSI models that are great quality. I myself have worn them just for comparison, and they are really good helmets. Same padding as the RSR2, great finish, just not the ultimate race breed. My biggest complaint with Shark is that they only utilize 2 shell sizes, and I think the XS-S is one shell size, while everything else M-XL is another shell size. Thus stepping from a S to a M feels like going from a lime to a grapefruit, when it really shouldn't be a huge difference. I've been interchanging the Small RSR2 and the Medium RF1100 for a couple days on back to back rides, and I believe the Shark is a better overall helmet. Of course, that's my opinion. Although it is louder, it's lighter, more stable at speed, and a better viewing window with a more robust visor. It's also Sharks top tier race helmet, so maybe not an exact apples to apples. The Shoei is a better touring helmet, and probably a shape conducive to fitting a wider range of noggins. Biggest challenge here is deciding whether I want a size small or medium. I think I'm right between sizes, so a custom fit padding etc would be great. I know Arai offers this, as like peel off layers (right?) but I'm just not sold on them. Not sure if Shoei or Shark offer intermediate padding sizes, it's something I need to look into. I've just become very accustomed to wearing a tight fitting helmet, and I feel that without sunglasses I could wear the RSR2 all day no problem. But on the hot n' humid NC days, that visor has got to stay up, and sunglasses go in. Which surfaces another benefit of the RSR2, no cog/notch visor system. So you can literally tighten the visor down in the upright position, and even going 80mph down the freeway it won't blow closed on you. Not sure that the Race R Pro works the same as it has a different system, but I've enjoyed this on my Shark. I had the Shoei blow partially closed on the freeway as it wouldn't stay all the way open; however, it never blew completely closed either, so doable. Thanks for the feedback. I've got another good season of use in the RSR2, so hopefully it'll allow some time to try a few on and get a better idea.

So just out of curiosity I did some digging on the Snell M2010, 2015, and SHARP helmet ratings. I'm sure many folks here know more details that I do, but I found the following things interesting and true. The M2010 is nearly identical to the M2015, and the SHARP is pretty similar to the M2015 (albeit models and ranking systems vary.)

M2015 tests using 8.8 lb anvils (different shapes) at rates around 7.5 m/s to verify helmets have peak acceleration less than 275G. They also strike the same location twice (think I got that right) at locations subjecting most of the upper helmet. It tests for penetrating impacts, but not rotational. I couldn't find the number of impacts.

SHARP tests using anvils (different shapes but couldn't find weight) at rates of 6.5, 7.5, and 8.5 m/s. 7.5 m/s is identified as the standard. Helmets are struck in front, crown, left, right, and rear; and different colors are awarded to maximum acceleration ranges. Green (the highest) is 275G at 7.5 m/s. Helmets are tested at 32 locations prior to rating, including rotational tests and oblique impact tests (sliding); but they do not include penetrating.

M2010 Link

SHARP Link

Apparently there was a paper written by Dr. Mills criticizing the SHARP system, and a corresponding response by the Department of Transportation UK to the paper. Both are fairly technical and if you're interested here....

Dr. Mills

Technical Response to Dr. Mills

Regardless it would take someone with more time than me to analyze the faults of each system. I did find it interesting however that both Arai and Shoei manufactured full-face helmets rated at 3 stars; while even Sharks bottom line helmet (S500 Air $80) scored 4 stars. All Shark helmets are rated at 4-5 stars. Maybe they have some political influence or the magic key to SHARP's system, don't know. Not saying that it's better, but those are the ratings.