sniping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyronewildman

Real Old Guy
Reaction score
Yes I have bought a few things on Ebay but I'm not a big user. On a Acsot VT500FT board there is a post about sniping on Ebay & I had no idea what that is. Being a snoopeing type of guy, I went to Ebay and did a search for "sniping". I guess I really do need to get out more. Do U guys snipe ? I did, however, learn what a "shocker" was by grazeing this board. Some things I don't really need to know. Later,,, De <_< :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't as a rule. I usually just bid as much as I am willing to pay, and that's it. If I loose it by a few bucks it's not the end of the world. Nice thing about E-Bay is that there will almost be another of whatever item you are looking at.

Having sold a few thousand things on E-bay, I usually don't like snipers. Also, I have on occasion ended an auction early for the right person or price, and that REALLY pisses the snipers off. That always beings a smile to my face.

I should clarify that I don't like E-Bay snipers. The military and LEO Snipers are another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one do not see why sniping is a bad thing. Person that is willing to pay the top price will pay that price regadless because they will put their maximum bid and just go to sleep. And sniper will loose in this case.

Now if a person is just low bidding then he never really intended to pay a full price. And as far as seller goes in this case. You probably decided to sell it at a wrong time, did not set a good minimum. What ever the case is, sniper just got you a few extra cents :D and that was the market going price.

I have sold few things and I have bought a few. And I see no problem with continue sniping or been hit by one. One caveat: it can't be done by a program.

Here is what wikipedia has to say about it LINKY

I have sold few things and I have bought a few. And I see no problem with continue sniping or been hit by one. One caveat: it can't be done by a program.
Unfortunately, most people I have run into use a program to snipe. In 10 seconds I found at least 4 websites that offer sniper services for E-Bay on Google. I agree that if you are willing to sit at your computer and do the work yourself, that is another case.

I have used Ebay snipe. Look, when there are umptean bidders, and you really really want the item, sniping is a great tool to use. I can't see why it would matter to a seller how the item got sold, as long as it sells and for the most money possible. Sorry you don't like people who snipe, but it sure is a nice tool to have if you really want the item badly enough. Plus, it'll only bid for you as long as the selling price hasn't exceeded the max bid you put in the program. It's all about bidding and sniping just gives you a little bit of an edge. What can be wrong with that?

I'm a sniper and proud of it. I usually look for buy it now auctions but if I do actually bid I always snipe. Only a fool wouldn't IMHO. I have a coworker who has a huge ebay business and he just recently told me about the online sniping services, which he uses all the time by the way. Cool!

Color me confused. :blink: You go to Ebay to find things and buy things cheaply... you find that getting into a bidding war with other buyers drives up the prices. Hey, here's an idea... enter your desired price at the end, and avoid getting into a bidding war. Look at this... you can even do it with a web service... set it and forget it... what a great country!

My wife buys and sells thousands of items on Ebay yearly through her self-owned business. She doesn't mind people sniping her goods, and snipes others to keep her costs down. And yes, she uses a sniping service... I'm really confused by the differentiation of programmed sniping versus manual sniping... that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Last second bidding is smart and fun. Makes 0 sense to place a bid early on just to drive your own eventual cost up. Now acing some guy out at the last second is a hoot....

Sniping a newbie that has dial-up when you have phat broadband for a set of HID lights with 2 seconds to sapre.......ahhhh.....sneaky, satisfying, and somehow American capitalist at the same time.

Sniping a newbie that has dial-up when you have phat broadband for a set of HID lights with 2 seconds to sapre.......ahhhh.....sneaky, satisfying, and somehow American capitalist at the same time.
+1 :)

Bidnapper.com has been good for me, but I'm always looking for something better.

I haven't sniped but I am tempted. I've been sniped too often. I would agree with the "bid the max you willing to pay" argument except that I believe there are too many shill-bids, people bidding up their own goods.

I collect WWII memorabilia and original firearms related items that are very difficult to obtain. I do both, set a personal limit max bid and forget about it. But sometimes, I'll snipe for that must have item to keep the max bid reasonable!

"One shot, one kill, no remorse, I decide"

If I buy something on eBay and my bid is registered before the final 5 seconds, I've done something wrong. I've had several bids register with one second left.

Latest posts