So I need a GPS...and a Bluetooth...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Google Maps to plan a route, then convert the Google Maps route to a Tomtom itinerary file.
Procedure is to put in the start and ending points into Google Maps, then drag the route as required. Google update the URL in the address bar as you go. You have to make sure the start and end points are dragged to a point rather than left as an address (Tomtom doesn't understand Google's addresses). When satisfied with your route, copy the URL from your browser web page, paste it into the window on my little utility, tell it to convert, then download the itinerary file into your Tomtom's memory. Finally tell Tomtom to load the itinerary and check the route is what you want (Tomtom and Google sometimes disagree about how to get from one waypoint to another).

I've been using this for some time, makes light work of route planning for my Tomtom.
So this got me thinking, you plan routes via Google Maps, and not the gimmicky MyMaps. So...It was actually VERY easy for me to recreate my custom route in Google Maps with the drag and drop method. Next, I just shared my custom routed map with myself via email...and WALA...custom route via google maps on my smartphone! And I can access it anytime within seconds via my Gmail. That was easy! And the route never changes with the saved link. If I could only save that route in Maps to avoid having to reopen my Gmail to access it that would be great, but that's too much to ask.

Thanks for all the input fellas, this is great. I'll probably use my phone for Navi until I get knee deep in touring and need something more robust; but, definitely glad I found this little work around. See what a little brain storming will do?

Welp..just hit the limit on Google Maps, "Route cannot be modified further". Oh well...one thing at a time here. Will continue researching headsets, but it seems like the Cardo and Sena are both good choices.

Sena SMH10s and Garmin Nuvi 2797lmt modified here. Love the SMH10s had them over a year. Awesome for playing bluetooth music from my Android. Recently added an SM10 to allow me to bluetooth the gps to me headset. And I also have been using google maps they importing into basecamp. Technology rocks if you can get it to work in your favor.

Actually, a year ago I researched and then bought an Android 7" tablet to use as my main GPS device while on the bike.

Covered thousands of kilometers with from spring through about October. Bought a proper RAM Mount tablet cradle for it, then improvised my own aluminum plate as a way to mount it to the front face of my tank bag.

Kewl things about going this route, as opposed to relying on a more conventional Zumo or other GPS unit:

• price can be less than 30% of what you could spend on a GPS receiver
  • display is as big as practical for this application, but high res, wide screen view (various brightness etc settings from the OS and the GPS app you choose)
  • many free AND/OR modest priced free map-based GPS apps out there right now (download GBytes of those maps for storage on your tablet and keep them there - not rotating regional maps in/out)
  • actual GPS circuitry (GPS, GLONASS) is pretty decent in some tablets now - time to get a fix can be just a few seconds even without any network help from distant cell towers
  • bluetooth v4+ definitely easier to find in tablets - including more of the correct device profiles we need to interact cleanly with phones, Sena, Scala units
  • audio quality on tablets also advanced decently now - far better than GPS 'utility' quality sound can be; nice to store GBytes of MP3s and use it as a jukebox while rolling down your fave twisty
And finally, combining so many functions into one device we can ALSO take into a hotel room and use as a legitimate alternative to a full blown notebook (nighttime emails back to family, uploading the days' pics, surfing for reviews on places to eat, etc) makes my use of the tablet a no-brainer for me.

I'm using a samsung 7" tablet on a Ram X-grip and it's everything as you said and I love it. The only thing was that it's hard to press/zoom with a glove finger unless it's more conductive.

I'm using the app Copilot for complete offline maps. There are tons of other GPS apps with free world wide map like Navigator. My phone has unlimited data. When there are signal, I used my phone as a mobile hotspot and let the tablet connect to data network for real-time traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I just don't have a need for a large screen for viewing navigation. My plan is to rely more heavily on the voice prompts rather than the screen, and to just reference the screen for "turn here in 50ft vs 50 miles". In that case, I'm hoping my phone will fit the bill.

That said, here's a scenario that you guys can weigh in on. I buy a new 2x20S, which has tons of functionality (only because I can get one at a great rate). I connect my and wifes 20S for intercom, and connect them both to my phone for GPS, music, and calls. Now, with music playing and GPS running, there obviously shouldn't be any issues with GPS over music (since the phone does that anyway). If a phone call comes in, I can answer it with a voice command or button tap? Will the wife hear the call as well? Also, can she pair to HER phone for music (separate from mine) and MY phone for GPS (one through stereo and the other through whatever it's called)? Then she can take her own calls, and me the same?

Also, I have the ability to connect to other riders with Sena 20S easily, and non-Sena riders just through a setup step?

Originally I'm looking at the SMH10R, which seems like it also does the job, just doesn't have voice commands or Bluetooth 4. Straying away from the SMH10 because I'm not sure if you can get away from the boom mic, which is a no for me. Also the SMH10/R doesn't allow for multiple bluetooth devices at once, as Happy said? So IF I buy a separate GPS and wanted to use that and my phone for music, I'd have to upgrade to the S10 or S20?

Just trying to make sense of this new found tech.

Welp..just hit the limit on Google Maps, "Route cannot be modified further". ...
Not really a problem, split your route into two or more itineraries. If you must have them as one file, use a text editor to join them, then use Tomtom to edit the large itinerary and mark the intermediate "start" points as "not visited". Takes seconds to do.

Welp..just hit the limit on Google Maps, "Route cannot be modified further". ...
Not really a problem, split your route into two or more itineraries. If you must have them as one file, use a text editor to join them, then use Tomtom to edit the large itinerary and mark the intermediate "start" points as "not visited". Takes seconds to do.
Correct it's not a huge problem, I just didn't realize that I would be limited to a certain number of "modifications" to any given route, so figured I'd give an update on that. Looks like everyone on here does the stand-alone GPS thing, which I'm hoping to avoid another unnecessary $500 excursion. I can split the route and have no issues, or as you said combine via text editor (good idea). Not worried about having them as one file, as I'll separate each "leg" of the trip anyway, so it just requires me to click on a different link in my gmail each day, no biggie. I won't be messing with file converters, Tomtom, or Garmin. Simple is better for me right now. Google maps is basically all I need....I hope.

I use the Zumo 590, which syncs with a uClear 220 headset and my iPhone. With that package, I can make and receive calls, get very high fidelity MP3, and Pandora content and anything else the phone will stream with on-screen control of the media, Real Time traffic and weather, weather maps, passenger, and bike to bike comm. I use the uClear earbuds that include integrated jaw mic, to both reduce wind and road noise and to get much better sound than any speaker setup can provide. The noise filtering by uClear is best in class, but this BT comm is not as well known as Sena. It is lighter, has great sound, will last all day or more, and has more bike to bike range.

Google maps are fine, but at some point, if you get a Garmin, it will pay to learn to use the free BaseCamp application. It's not that hard and has a lot of power. Where it is weaker than Google, is the search function. The Zumo 590 will take routes of almost unlimited complexity, and can import and share routes with other Zumo riders. You can actually use it's bluetooth to connect to another GPS to share routes before leaving on a ride. Nothing comes close to the bright transreflective display in direct sunlight.

If you have some questions about this newest and top-of-the line GPS, or the uClear headsest let me know.

Way back long time ago I made a thread comparing some then-popular mapping software with Mapsource and Google Maps, and how to get stuff from each into your Garmin. The thread is seriously out of date, what with DeLorme Street Atlas and Microsoft Streets and Trips both being extinct, but the utility to get routes out of Google Map still exists. In post 3 of that thread I show how to get a navigable route from Google Maps into a GPS receiver. It won't do anything for you with the phone, but seriously, forget about using the phone to navigate or plan routes. Get a real GPS unit.

The utility is TYRE, from Tomtom. Stands for Take Your Route Everywhere. Free download. It comes from Tomtom but it knows GPX, too, so you can export a Google Maps route into Garmin software (Basecamp, nowadays.) Because Google and Garmin will have different map databases, you will have to recalculate the route once in Basecamp. All TYRE actually sends to the GPX file is the points you selected on the Google map, so use as many via points on Google as you can to force the route to go where you want.

Just to address a couple of points mentioned earlier about cell service and phone GPS. It is true that Google lets you download a selected map section to your phone, so a data connection won't be required in that area. It's a very SMALL section, though! And while it's true that you don't need cellular service to use the GPS, if you want to see maps that aren't in the phone, you DO need cellular data service. The GPS will give you position all week if you have software that will read it, but without data service you won't see any of that on a map.

As for BlueTooth, I have a Garmin 2820, which is getting a bit long in the tooth (see what I did there? :) ) but still my favorite unit. Its Bluetooth handles both the phone and the helmet: the phone thinks the Garmin is a headset, and the helmet headset thinks the Garmin is a phone. I have on-screen caller ID, access to the phone book, whatever voice dialing capabilities the phone has. I can answer, initiate, and hang up, all on the Garmin screen. And that's a unit made more than a decade ago!

You want a Zumo. Period. Weatherproof, made for the rough environment of a bike. You can get them with traffic reporting, weather, even on-screen weather radar, I think. For music, get a satellite radio antenna, or use the BT to play from your phone.

Of course, once you have the Garmin and Basecamp, you really won't need Google Maps any more, unless you just hate how Basecamp works. That's pretty common, actually. Basecamp didn't exist when I made my thread lo those many years ago, and I've never bothered with it. I still have all the programs in that thread, even though you folks starting out can't get them any more. Pthpthpthpthpth.
bleh.gif

I've used a car Garmin in the map pouch of my tank bag in the past, but the new tech is sooo much better. I'm still running the Sena SMH10 with Zumo 660 combo after many years and don't regret it a bit. I did struggle with Basecamp after leaving Mapsource, but a member here posted a great tutorial on how to use Basecamp. Go here: https://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm to learn all the details.

So I've caved for the Sena 20S. It should be here today and I can't wait to test it out. My helmet is a size small, and I'm right between a M and S, so it fits pretty tight (Shark RSR2 think "race fit"). Headphones and even sunglasses can be painful over longer periods of time, so I'm looking forward to trying out the speakers. Still not sure how exactly the ear plugs + speakers works and if I'll like that. I usually only wear ear plugs for track time and super aggressive riding as it encourages being one with the bike and blocking all the unnecessary noises. Guess I'll try it both ways. Question is...If I go with headphones, will I have the same capabilities as with the speakers? Can I still give voice commands through the 20S mic, or will voice commands from me need to go through the headphone mic? All the reading I've done on here seems that is nearly 50/50 for headphones vs speakers.

Got a X-Clamp from the previous owner in the mail and used it twice and it's pretty good. Direct sun is hindering, but not a big deal, I can still see it. I did have to turn off my MOTO motion feature where a double shake turns the flashlight on. First big bump I hit last night and I was thinking, where the hell is that bright light coming from? Think I'm also going to download CoPilot Premium for $10 and get all my maps offline to avoid the data use and loss of signal dilemma. Apparently CoPilot lets you plan routes with tons of waypoints, etc, so trip planning shouldn't be an issue.

With ear buds connected to the Sena base, nothing changes except how the sound is directed to your ears. They have no effect on the mic.

When you try eat buds, look for buds with lower profiles. Skull Candy are good, and one of my favorite pairs are some Sony buds I got on sale. You'll go through a few before you find what you like.

Also, use the loop in the back neck if your jacket. Tie the ear bud cable in that loop. That will prevent them from pulling out of your ear while you ride and turn your head.

Good read and perfect example why I love this place!! In a similar situation not wanting to spend money on a GPS right now. Feel my phone gets it done well enough for a couple weekend trips I go on each year and picked up a couple ideas to get what I have to work better.

I have a Sena SMH 10 and after three seasons it works well. Speakers aren't all that great but gets the job done for now. After three seasons the battery life is still really good.

Zilla, the 20S has a much better setup for ear bud plugin setup. I had to replace the wires twice on SMH10 but not once on the S20 that I have had for the last couple of years.
Yeah, someone mentioned that. I did some Hispanic engineering to keep the SMH10 ear bud base plug from breaking. It's worked for a while so far.

If you're referring to my last post, that wasn't for the base unit. I do that to keep the wires from going down into my jacket and the pulling from my ear when I turn my head. It also keeps my buds connected to my jacket.

It's the little things that keep me happy!

I too use Skullcandy 50/50's which I've been very happy with throughout the years. Good sound quality and a lower profile, although I could use something a tad smaller. I also have some Samsung's that came with an older cell phone that work really well. I haven't thought about the actual routing of ear bud wire. Guessing there will be quite a bit of slack to deal with (I'm used to having it tucked down in my jacket), but since it'll essentially be routed from the outside to inside of the helmet, not quite sure what I'll do with the 2ft of cable. I guess routing around the neck is the best option. Interested to try and get it mounted this afternoon and possibly try the speaker placement out.

So dumb question...do you put the speakers on the OUTSIDE of the helmet padding? Or on the inside next to the helmet structure? Read the manual last night and it's saying works best if touching your ear. My helmet is so freaking tight, I'm not sure I'll be able to mount them outside the padding, but it seems like mounting inside the padding would muffle them pretty badly.

Excited on the new setup. Also ordered some Olympia Airglide 3 pants after digging around on here for reviews. Got the ladies in yesterday and I'm pretty impressed. On sale at Revzilla. Wife was pretty pleased with the women's cut, and I think the construction is really good for the price. Waiting on mine to arrive next week, but with hot weather here (FINALLY!!!), I can see these being a winner.

Up next are the stiffy kit, SR357, Givi (haven't decided between V47/56), and bar risers. I'm hoping that solidifies my farkle extensions until I can get an exhaust and stop the boundless spending for awhile.

Tested the 20S tonight and that thing is awesome. I think my phone was initially paired as 'phone only' (whatever that is) and not a 'music device'. The music quality initially sucked bad. That being said it fixed itself, and it is much better now. Tested everything from voice dial, FM, to text recognition, and this thing is awesome. Need to set up the wife's helmet to try the intercom out but...wow....awesomeness