Soon to be FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not that I can't take constructive criticism. All of the comments people made did cause me to reconsider my stance. For instance, Zilla's comment on the amount of labor to change the coolant was helpful. I just think the point could have been made equally effectively without all the name calling. Some might consider that "not pulling any punches." I think it goes a little beyond that and really isn't necessary to make your point. I did get a little heated with the guys at the dealership, but apparently I wasn't bad enough that they weren't willing to work with me. But that was something that involved me personally and a reasonably large chunk of money, not putting some random person on the internet in their place.

As for being inexperienced. I'm 42 years-old and have bought and sold plenty of vehicles, this particular transaction just didn't go very smoothly. In my professional life I am a commercial lender and negotiate multi-million dollar credit facilities every day, so I have probably done more and bigger transactions than a lot of people.

Anyhow the deal is done, hopefully we can just agree to disagree.
I never, not once, called you any names. Go back and re-read the posts if you want.

I'm glad you got your bike. Now, go ride it and have a good time. You may want to check the air pressure in those tires as that may have been what caused the slow speed turn-in issue. Don't forget to thank your salesman... ;)

So, what about "childish," "tool," and "bully?"

Aside from the specific name calling, I thought the entire tone of your post was way out of line. But whatever, you are entitled to your opinion and your way of communicating with others.

Wow, sure am glad I opened up this can of peaches. 'Zilla pisses of another FNG. No surprise there.

NOT that 'zilla takes pleasure or pride in pissing off FNGs, but wow, after reading about the "sales experience" I couldn't help but think "Here's a guy too involved with his supposed importance as a "customer" that has met his match with a dealer who thinks the old statement "the customer is always right" was invented by....a CUSTOMER!" Pretty much a battle of wits between two parties who entered the fight unarmed.

However, when I read this...

In my professional life I am a commercial lender and negotiate multi-million dollar credit facilities every day, so I have probably done more and bigger transactions than a lot of people.
...all I could think was "Elitist Prick."

Where the hell IS that "Ignore User" button????

Welcome to the Forum. Pull up yer big-gurl britches and enjoy yerself here.

One thing I'm real good at is offering unsolicited advice, so here's some for Flying Potato:

Enjoy the FJR. Deal with the dealer where you bought it if it's convenient for you. The sales department is separate from the parts or service department; if you got pissed off, it was at the sales department, and you don't have to buy your next bike from them.

Most importantly, don't bother coming back onto this thread with one "last word." It never pays. Even if you have just the perfect comment and you're dying to say it, don't bother. Stick around the forum. Post a ride report. Everybody will forget all about this little dust-up, including you. Otherwise, you wouldn't be the first newbie to get all pissed off after a couple posts and not come back, and there's good stuff here you'd be missing out on. Good information, good folks. Some of them have even commented on this thread already.

RadioHowie, HotRodZilla, wheatonFJR and exskibum; you Gentlemen can now stand down, for BeemerDonS just now called out:.... the Wambulance for The Flying Potato!!!!

wambulance_logo.jpg

wambulance.gif

Whambulance.gif

waahmbulance.jpg

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
After all the hard core negotiating, I sure hope it doesn't turn out to be the first Gen II ticker. That would almost be funny :rolleyes:

RadioHowie, HotRodZilla, wheatonFJR and exskibum; you Gentlemen can now stand down, for BeemerDonS just now called out:.... the Wambulance for The Flying Potato!!!!

wambulance_logo.jpg

wambulance.gif

Whambulance.gif

waahmbulance.jpg

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
OMFG... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And as for you, you bullying childish tool You: I just sent a "Hurt Feelings Report" off to The Flying Potato via private message. Once SacramentoMike and BeemerDonS have had a good chance to review his document - your ass is grass with SacMike and Papa Chuy as the fecking lawnmowers, Mister!

2026.jpg

Flying potato,Congrats on the purchase of your bike.They are great machines.welcome to the fourm.you will learn a tremendous amount here and alot of it will be about the fjr.Bob

Most importantly, don't bother coming back onto this thread with one "last word." It never pays. Even if you have just the perfect comment and you're dying to say it, don't bother. Stick around the forum. Post a ride report. Everybody will forget all about this little dust-up, including you. Otherwise, you wouldn't be the first newbie to get all pissed off after a couple posts and not come back, and there's good stuff here you'd be missing out on. Good information, good folks. Some of them have even commented on this thread already.
Well said Mike. This should be required reading for newbies.

Potato,

Good grief... I shoulda got me some popcorn before reading all this shtuff. The forum never fails to deliver. Welcome aboard dude. As you've already seen, there's no shortage of opinions around here, but hopefully when ya boil them all down you come away with some valuable nuggets. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the details of the purchase and what you think of that new FJR.

Ride safe.

Gary

darksider #44

ps... not that it matters now, but check out this deal that just popped up on the forum today: CLICKY

Last edited by a moderator:
Potato,

You won't survive with "thin skin" around here!! I'm really glad you got the FJR, and that you're fairly happy with the deal. If you ask for opinions here, you will get them, and some may, perhaps, offend you.

If I could offer a bit of advice, now that you have the bike, you might be compelled to ask questions re: maintenance, accessories, technical issues, etc.. Before you post a question, do a search via Google with the following format: Question site:fjrforum.com

Do this first!!! If you don't find what you need then post the question. Otherwise the responses could be fairly brutal.

It's unbelievable how much information there is on this forum, and usually you don't even have to ask! (Just follow the search procedure above).

Thoroughly check out the "Bin of Facts" etc.

Just trying to help!

Congratulations on your new ride! AND, Welcome to the forum!

Interesting day yesterday. Call the sales guy in the morning, yes they had left to get the bike from the wholesaler about 30 minutes ago, come on up and check it out. When I get there there is a really beat up 2005 (that wasn't there on Friday) right in front. All scratched up, threads showing through the back tire, etc. I'm starting to get pissed, thinking I just wasted a few hours of my life when the sales guy wals around the corner and says "Oh no, the 2008 is in the back, we just took it off the truck." The bike is immaculate, looks as good as in the photos. Not a scratch on it, protective film on the tank and bags, one case has the manuals and 2nd key, the other has the bag liners unused in the original packaging, the tool kit is right where it belongs under the seat. Now I'm feeling pretty good and go inside to talk with the guy.

Tell the guy that I want to take it for a nice long ride and if it seem nice I will give him a deposit and come back on Wed (when my bonus gets paid) and buy it. OK he says, takes a copy of my license and insurance info. I mention that I am going to run it up on a tisty road up into the foothills, as I am moving up from a ~ 350 lb bike and want to see how I like it in the twisties. He says oh no, you can only take it out for five minutes around the dealership. Well then, you can forget it. OK, he'll go and ask the owner for an exception. Comes back, owner says no, can't do that for insurance reasons (after he's asked for my insurance info). Now I'm starting to get up and walk out, so he says let me talk to the owner again. OK, they will make an exception, but I have to be back in about an hour fifteen. I feel like saying "and what's gonna happen if I'm not" but decide to let it go. He puts plates on it while I get my gear on and I'm off.

Leaving the parking lot, the slow speed handling seems a little odd to me. A little hard to describe but its like when you make a slow turn the bars really want to turn into it. Granted I'm coming from a small, light bike, but I've ridden a new Concours, rented R1200RTs a few times and also a HD Road Glide (all Eagle Rider in San Diego rents is HDs) and never really noticed that sensation. Once on the highway and on the twisty road the bike is absolutely great. Stop by a local independent shop to see if they can take a quick look, but unfortunately the sign says they'll be back in 90 minutes.

Head back and sit back down with the sales guy. He breaks out the trusty four square piece of paper (what is it with these guys) and says we'll give you $2,800 for the SV and the FJR is $8,999 (the price listed on the website). I say that they already told me they wholesaled the bike once, why would you think I'm going to pay your original asking price and I'm probably going to sell the SV to a friend (this is true, I told him I'd sell it for whatever they offer me plus a little to make up for the tax savings on a trade). Comes back and says we'll give you $3,000 for the SV. Now I'm starting to get annoyed. He asks what I'm looking for to make a deal. I re-iterate that I'm not buying the bike today, I need until Wed, but if you can do $8,500 I'll give you a $500 deposit. Now I realize I could have probably negotiated a bit harder, but I don't like playing that game and frankly, from what I've been seeing, this is not really a pretty fair price. He goes back to the manager and comes back and says ok, we can do that. Says they will page me in a few.

30 minutes later they page me and I head into the F&I guy's office. Sales guy is walking out with a temporary tag in his hand and the F&I guy has all the sales papaerwork printed out on his desk. Now I lose my temper, I told you four or five times that I wasn't buying the bike but would give you a deposit and come back on Wed. Sales guy says that wasn't what he understood from our conversation. F&I guy is saying that I can pay the rest on Wed, but I need to sign the papers to hold the bike. I ask him if he thinks I'm an idiot, once I sign the papers I have bought the bike and I have said repeatedly that I'm not doing that. Somewhat heated conversation with the F&I guy goes down, what would happen that you wouldn't want to buy the bike, how do we know your serious, a discussion about if deposits are refundable, this is our policy, etc.

So I walk, stopping to tell the sales guy to let me know if they change their mind about holding the bike for a few days with a deposit.

15 minutes later the F&I guy calls my cell. Feels really bad, they want to earn my business, let me give you six months no-interest and you can just pay off the loan, etc. I don't think he's actually a bad guy, but I'm officially pissed off now and even drop the first f-bomb of the day (actually somewhat surprising for me that it's the first one). Calls ends relatively well with him saying I can tell you are frustrated, why don't we talk next week?

Now that I'm all calmed down and thinking rationally again, I realize that I really do want to buy this bike. My plan is to call them tomorrow and say we can do $8,500 but I want you to throw in an engine oil, gear oil and coolant change (they do not have records for the 6,000 mile service). Also, I do want to trade my SV and I want them to pull the Penske off it for me and mount some new tires on the FJR as part of the deal (the tires aren't terrible but they are the originals and it lloks like Motorcycle Superstor has a pretty good sale and I can get a set of Pilot Road IIIs for ~ $300 delivered, so why not?). If you are ok with it, I will come in Tuesday morning (can't do it tomorrow and Tuesday I will be able to at least be able to see my bonus on the payroll system) sign the papers and give you a check, which you can cash Wed morning. I'll come back on Saturday morning with the SV and take possesion.

So, does this seem like a reasonable deal? Does my impression of the slow speed handling seem out of the ordinary to anyone that has moved up from a smaller bike (or especially you, BentAero as you also have a SV)? Maybe just low air pressure or something?

Sorry for the rediculously long post, just had to vent a little. Feeling better now.

Buy from private owners. F&*( those dealer ships that act like idiots. Check Kelly Blue book. Take whole sale and retail, split the difference between the 2. Thats a fair deal. Spring is not the time to buy a bike. Plus its clear they cant sell it since it went to the wholesaler.Keep lookin !

Interesting day yesterday. Call the sales guy in the morning, yes they had left to get the bike from the wholesaler about 30 minutes ago, come on up and check it out. When I get there there is a really beat up 2005 (that wasn't there on Friday) right in front. All scratched up, threads showing through the back tire, etc. I'm starting to get pissed, thinking I just wasted a few hours of my life when the sales guy wals around the corner and says "Oh no, the 2008 is in the back, we just took it off the truck." The bike is immaculate, looks as good as in the photos. Not a scratch on it, protective film on the tank and bags, one case has the manuals and 2nd key, the other has the bag liners unused in the original packaging, the tool kit is right where it belongs under the seat. Now I'm feeling pretty good and go inside to talk with the guy.

Tell the guy that I want to take it for a nice long ride and if it seem nice I will give him a deposit and come back on Wed (when my bonus gets paid) and buy it. OK he says, takes a copy of my license and insurance info. I mention that I am going to run it up on a tisty road up into the foothills, as I am moving up from a ~ 350 lb bike and want to see how I like it in the twisties. He says oh no, you can only take it out for five minutes around the dealership. Well then, you can forget it. OK, he'll go and ask the owner for an exception. Comes back, owner says no, can't do that for insurance reasons (after he's asked for my insurance info). Now I'm starting to get up and walk out, so he says let me talk to the owner again. OK, they will make an exception, but I have to be back in about an hour fifteen. I feel like saying "and what's gonna happen if I'm not" but decide to let it go. He puts plates on it while I get my gear on and I'm off.

Leaving the parking lot, the slow speed handling seems a little odd to me. A little hard to describe but its like when you make a slow turn the bars really want to turn into it. Granted I'm coming from a small, light bike, but I've ridden a new Concours, rented R1200RTs a few times and also a HD Road Glide (all Eagle Rider in San Diego rents is HDs) and never really noticed that sensation. Once on the highway and on the twisty road the bike is absolutely great. Stop by a local independent shop to see if they can take a quick look, but unfortunately the sign says they'll be back in 90 minutes.

Head back and sit back down with the sales guy. He breaks out the trusty four square piece of paper (what is it with these guys) and says we'll give you $2,800 for the SV and the FJR is $8,999 (the price listed on the website). I say that they already told me they wholesaled the bike once, why would you think I'm going to pay your original asking price and I'm probably going to sell the SV to a friend (this is true, I told him I'd sell it for whatever they offer me plus a little to make up for the tax savings on a trade). Comes back and says we'll give you $3,000 for the SV. Now I'm starting to get annoyed. He asks what I'm looking for to make a deal. I re-iterate that I'm not buying the bike today, I need until Wed, but if you can do $8,500 I'll give you a $500 deposit. Now I realize I could have probably negotiated a bit harder, but I don't like playing that game and frankly, from what I've been seeing, this is not really a pretty fair price. He goes back to the manager and comes back and says ok, we can do that. Says they will page me in a few.

30 minutes later they page me and I head into the F&I guy's office. Sales guy is walking out with a temporary tag in his hand and the F&I guy has all the sales papaerwork printed out on his desk. Now I lose my temper, I told you four or five times that I wasn't buying the bike but would give you a deposit and come back on Wed. Sales guy says that wasn't what he understood from our conversation. F&I guy is saying that I can pay the rest on Wed, but I need to sign the papers to hold the bike. I ask him if he thinks I'm an idiot, once I sign the papers I have bought the bike and I have said repeatedly that I'm not doing that. Somewhat heated conversation with the F&I guy goes down, what would happen that you wouldn't want to buy the bike, how do we know your serious, a discussion about if deposits are refundable, this is our policy, etc.

So I walk, stopping to tell the sales guy to let me know if they change their mind about holding the bike for a few days with a deposit.

15 minutes later the F&I guy calls my cell. Feels really bad, they want to earn my business, let me give you six months no-interest and you can just pay off the loan, etc. I don't think he's actually a bad guy, but I'm officially pissed off now and even drop the first f-bomb of the day (actually somewhat surprising for me that it's the first one). Calls ends relatively well with him saying I can tell you are frustrated, why don't we talk next week?

Now that I'm all calmed down and thinking rationally again, I realize that I really do want to buy this bike. My plan is to call them tomorrow and say we can do $8,500 but I want you to throw in an engine oil, gear oil and coolant change (they do not have records for the 6,000 mile service). Also, I do want to trade my SV and I want them to pull the Penske off it for me and mount some new tires on the FJR as part of the deal (the tires aren't terrible but they are the originals and it lloks like Motorcycle Superstor has a pretty good sale and I can get a set of Pilot Road IIIs for ~ $300 delivered, so why not?). If you are ok with it, I will come in Tuesday morning (can't do it tomorrow and Tuesday I will be able to at least be able to see my bonus on the payroll system) sign the papers and give you a check, which you can cash Wed morning. I'll come back on Saturday morning with the SV and take possesion.

So, does this seem like a reasonable deal? Does my impression of the slow speed handling seem out of the ordinary to anyone that has moved up from a smaller bike (or especially you, BentAero as you also have a SV)? Maybe just low air pressure or something?

Sorry for the rediculously long post, just had to vent a little. Feeling better now.

Buy from private owners. F&*( those dealer ships that act like idiots. Check Kelly Blue book. Take whole sale and retail, split the difference between the 2. Thats a fair deal. Spring is not the time to buy a bike. Plus its clear they cant sell it since it went to the wholesaler.Keep lookin !

Whups, to late. have fun with the new ride

I'll council the same as a couple of others. Stop, take a breath, exhale. It sounds like a good deal on the bike. Focus on that. When you get your bonus then go back with the cash in hand. That talks. Dealers like people to finance because they make money from it. Back east we are more fortunate in that we don't have to travel as far to find other dealers to deal with. Don't let your anger screw you out of a good deal on an immaculate bike.

Ok here's my advice...it's always worked for me.

Don't ever buy from a dealer, always buy from a private owner! No State sales tax, no BS. You go, you look, you like, you buy, you ride home.

End of story. I don't have time for dealer BS or turning a fun bike purchase into a nervous breakdown stress moment. ;)