Soon to be FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No State sales tax
Don't know about Georgia, but Florida, and most other republics I'm aware of, charge you sales tax when you register the vehicle, so, YES, you probably WILL pay state sales tax on a private sale.
So true. Here in western WA state, we pay 9.3% sales tax :angry: and you will get stuck paying that even if you buy the bike out of state, because the state will charge you when you register here.

This becomes a big factor when deciding to trade in a vehicle or not. Say have a used FJR and want to buy a newer one from the dealer for $10,000. If the dealer offers you $5,000 for your trade, then you only pay tax on the $5,000 that you are handing the dealer for the deal. If you decide your trade is worth more than $5,000 and sell it yourself, then you pay tax on the whole $10,000 sale price. At my local tax rate, that means paying $930 in tax vs $465 on the trade-in deal. So you would need to sell you old bike for at least $5,465 before you come out ahead vs just trading the old bike in to the dealer. That number doesn't factor in any advertising costs and all the time involved in marketing and selling the used bike.

Not sure if all states work the same on their tax system, but it's definitely something to consider.

In GA there is no sales tax on private sales. I guess it just depends on the state.

Sales Tax is only one of my reasons for not wanting to buy from dealer. If you can by a lightly used bike from the original owner you can:

1. Save thousands off paying "retail".

2. Buying a lightly used bike at least 2yrs old you've passed it's biggest depreciation from the original sales price already yet it's still fairly new.

3. Talk to the original owner and ask all the questions about the bike, maintenance records...etc.

4. Deal one on one with the owner and not have to worry about him double checking your offer with the "manager".

5. Not having to deal with any high pressure salesman.

I'm sure I have more reasons but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

No State sales tax
Don't know about Georgia, but Florida, and most other republics I'm aware of, charge you sales tax when you register the vehicle, so, YES, you probably WILL pay state sales tax on a private sale.
So true. Here in western WA state, we pay 9.3% sales tax :angry: and you will get stuck paying that even if you buy the bike out of state, because the state will charge you when you register here.

This becomes a big factor when deciding to trade in a vehicle or not. Say have a used FJR and want to buy a newer one from the dealer for $10,000. If the dealer offers you $5,000 for your trade, then you only pay tax on the $5,000 that you are handing the dealer for the deal. If you decide your trade is worth more than $5,000 and sell it yourself, then you pay tax on the whole $10,000 sale price. At my local tax rate, that means paying $930 in tax vs $465 on the trade-in deal. So you would need to sell you old bike for at least $5,465 before you come out ahead vs just trading the old bike in to the dealer. That number doesn't factor in any advertising costs and all the time involved in marketing and selling the used bike.

Not sure if all states work the same on their tax system, but it's definitely something to consider.
Same thing in NY, what ever the dealer gives you for your trade isn't taxed. A lot of counties in NY have a different sales tax rate so you are taxed based off the county you live in.