Southwest Wisconsin Spin!?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll count you in the "going". I figure we're all out if the weather sucks isn't good.
Definitely in....as long as Saturday or Sunday is looking good weatherwise...I'm going. I know weather can be pretty iffy for planning these rides, so as long as I have one day of "not raining"...I'm good to go.

I was gonna ask to be a room adjacent to your room Marty...unless you and Gramps are gonna be in one of those " adult themed" rooms...then the bets are off. Seriously. I don't want to have to gouge out my eyes seeing gramps in long black stockings or anything like that. Who knows what the Minnesotans are into these days... :D
As long as Marty wears pink like last time. :D
We can all share the room with hot tub. Wheatie can "accidently" forget his swimsuit.... again. :huh:

I'll count you in the "going". I figure we're all out if the weather sucks isn't good.
Definitely in....as long as Saturday or Sunday is looking good weatherwise...I'm going. I know weather can be pretty iffy for planning these rides, so as long as I have one day of "not raining"...I'm good to go.

I was gonna ask to be a room adjacent to your room Marty...unless you and Gramps are gonna be in one of those " adult themed" rooms...then the bets are off. Seriously. I don't want to have to gouge out my eyes seeing gramps in long black stockings or anything like that. Who knows what the Minnesotans are into these days... :D
As long as Marty wears pink like last time. :D
We can all share the room with hot tub. Wheatie can "accidently" forget his swimsuit.... again. :huh:
Now yer bein' silly and ascarin' everybody away...I thought you WANTED people to show up for this thing.

BOOKED.

Now to figure out what Marty's got cooked up for us on Saturday. :clapping:

...and to figure out the longest way home possible on Sunday. :yahoo:

Probably ride straight from work on Friday I-88 west to I-39 north to join the hunters and Wisconsin weekenders on the slog up past the border. Can you lane split up der by dat way? ;)

I hope the weather cooperates with you guys. :huh: Weather in late Oct. in WI can be, well let's say surprisingly, cold, wet or even white.... :eek: Wish I could join you... :yahoo:

I hope the weather cooperates with you guys. :huh: Weather in late Oct. in WI can be, well let's say surprisingly, cold, wet or even white.... :eek: Wish I could join you... :yahoo:
We're holding out hope for one last Harrahh :lol:

Bring your heated gear and pinlock shields boys. :clapping:

off topic - BTW, I've got a pinlock insert that I've had on the helmet for about a year...it now gets moisture between the insert and the shield...which then fogs up. I had to take it off on the way home from AR so I could actually see...any advice?

I've thought about taking it out of the shield and reverse the bend which has "set" in it...as that may give it a better seal. I plan on doing this by by setting it on a flat surface with something heavy on it to keep it flat for awhile. You agree with this? I'm not sure what else to do.

-off topic

Bring your heated gear and pinlock shields boys. :clapping:

off topic - BTW, I've got a pinlock insert that I've had on the helmet for about a year...it now gets moisture between the insert and the shield...which then fogs up. I had to take it off on the way home from AR so I could actually see...any advice?

I've thought about taking it out of the shield and reverse the bend which has "set" in it...as that may give it a better seal. I plan on doing this by by setting it on a flat surface with something heavy on it to keep it flat for awhile. You agree with this? I'm not sure what else to do.

-off topic
Mine gave up during the heavier rain on the way down to AR. It seems to work for most applications but when the going gets rough, it gives up. I'm not sure what to do about it except try and re-seat it tighter. I suppose you could put some silicone gasket seal on it and then set it. I wonder if there is a small tube of that stuff that you could use like a caulk gun and seal it after it was set. Of course if it didn't work or the stuff got smeared you've wrecked a shield.

If they sold a whole shield already vacuum sealed it would be better, there is probably some gas they could put in there like windows. It would probably make the shield pretty expensive though. Maybe we should invent a shield with argon gas between the two layers...

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked online, and I seemed to have forgotten about the tensioning pinlock nut...that that can be adjusted as well to get a tighter fit. I'll check that when I get home.

Pinlock inserts are shipped from the factory flat...so the fact that a material creep has set into the material has reduced the tension that holds the insert tight to the faceshield. I believe if I reduce that material creep deflection, by trying to get it back to the flat shape as shipped from the factory, I will atleast help my chances of getting a good seal between the insert and the shield.

I just have to remember that the inserts are soft plastic and not to scratch them in my efforts.

In any event, (regarding the Dells)I like sunshine more than wet, so the present forecast looks good to me. Just have to watch for black ice as the future forecasted rains should wet the roads before it freezes up.

We aren't a bunch of Kalifornia pansies that call off an event because it dips below 50 degrees. :lol:

Well, I've been out of town dealing with some family emergencies all week, and it doesn't look like I will be making this ride either.

Maybe next time.

Been talking to my Triumph-mounted neighbor here in Cedar Rapids about maybe connecting with you all that weekend...

Probably just a Saturday day ride for us. If your route goes from the Dells toward anywhere near Dubuque, we just might run into you.

I'll read the OP a bit closer, maybe my question has already been answered.

All the best,

Shane

Here's my thoughts on the route. It should be pretty self explanatory. A word about Wildcat; It is supposed to be open by the time we get there. The plan is to go north through it and then catch it south later. The route goes around it going south just because I don't want to confuse the gps. We can run it a couple times if people want to and we have time. Obviously, if it's still closed we'll either just go around or I'll try to put something different in the route. There are plenty of towns to get gas and take a break. It's 386 miles.

I usually loathe to do things by committee, but seeing as though we're a small group, I'm willing to listen to suggestions.

SWWISpin_zpsc57ee2fe.jpg

I wouldn't bother with doing any big changes. The route looks good and if it is good weather, I'll ride the heck out of it. I just need to get this smooth faced Hooterized front tire changed this weekend to one of the take offs for this ride.

How many miles in this route?

It's 386 miles. Although, depending how many times you want to rip Wildcat, it could be more.

I actually prefer the Minduro Cut (108) stretch to Wildcat. Half the time I'm at Wildcat the road is wet from the hills.