Spider Bite Problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gurock

Reaction score
I have an 06 FJR AE that I bought used in Atlanta last mid summer. The prior owner had never done the recalls and I rode the heck out of the bike between mid summer and October, about 10, 000 miles. In late September on a trip through the Smokys and into Pensylvania I was in southeastern PA, (I live in Chicago), when the bike wouldn't start after a fill up and the electrical dash lights went nuts. I called AAA who towed it to a Yamaha dealer for repair and when we took it down from the truck it started up. I got on the bike and rode it home to Chicago without turning it off, 900 miles. Left it in the garage for the winter as I have another bike. When I tried to start it the spider bite wouldn't let it start again.

I had AAA tow it to Countryside Yamaha southwest of Chicago. The mechanic, Dan, took it apart and told me that the entire harness was fried. He called Yamaha and Yamaha agreed to replace the whole harness and do any electrical repairs that Dan believed were necessary at Yamaha's expense. As much as I thought that it sucked that the bike had the problem, I have to say my thanks to Yamaha and the dealer for their handling of my problem. I was so grateful that I agreed to let them repair the blown fork seal, that I knew I had done from miscalculating a turn in West Virginia and riding through a rut off the edge of the road at 50 MPH. I let them replace the Michelin Sport Pilot IIs as long as they matched MC Superstore's price with preferred provider install, change the final drive oil, wheel bearings and the plugs. They gave me a good deal as they had the bike apart for the electrical and the fork seal. The bikes still over their because we've had a cold snap in Chicago and I've been too lazy and cold to get it. I'm going Saturday morning as long as it doesn't snow.

Sounds like Mama Yamma's done you good. Glad to hear that a very expensive repair is going to be taken care of for you. Let us know how the bike runs for ya.

Gary

darksider #44

I got the bike back today. They attaced my harness for Tourmaster heated gloves and jacket while I was there. The old girl was shinning and rode home like a million. The real test I guess will be when the Chicago weather has broken and I can take a few days for a road trip to the hills and turns. So far so good.

I got the bike back today. They attaced my harness for Tourmaster heated gloves and jacket while I was there. The old girl was shinning and rode home like a million. The real test I guess will be when the Chicago weather has broken and I can take a few days for a road trip to the hills and turns. So far so good.

Just noticed this thread.

If the machine had been R&Rd with the harness recall and failed AGAIN, then you need to file a report with the NHTSA (www.safercar.gov) and let them know that the recall isn't successful.

This fault has potentially life-threatening repercussions and the life you save by reporting it may well be that of another member here.

missed the 'never'.

However if that was the case then what was all that crap about Yamaha 'stepping up'? They had no choice. Performing recalls is mandatory. The thread was essentially redundant.

Last edited by a moderator:
missed the 'never'.
However if that was the case then what was all that crap about Yamaha 'stepping up'? They had no choice. Performing recalls is mandatory. The thread was essentially redundant.
You have a point but what I think you missed was all the other stuff that was done at lower than normal prices as the customer stated. If the customer is pleased with the results then good for him.

Dave

missed the 'never'.
Well, he is not the only one...
rolleyes.gif

missed the 'never'.
Well, he is not the only one...
rolleyes.gif
Tuchea Brutus,

I am sure I butchered that but oh what the hell.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: