Squeaky clutch lever even after lubing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go.
Good vid.

For difficult access areas like this, I too prefer a spray lubricant, however with an extension tube on the nozzle.

With one hand, I position the nozzle orifice, and with the other a pad of cloth or shop towel wrapped around the area to be lubed, thus preventing any over-spray.

In the case of the clutch switch, lacking an assistant, I also temporarily hold the lever out of the way with a stout elastic band or a couple turns of cord

Good idea to lube all the switches at least annually. I even squirt some ACF into the ignition switch each year.

Why not dielectric grease?
No reason other than its easier to spray the canned stuff in there with the straw they provide ... The grease is in a tube and harder to get in to tight places ... Would work fine I would guess ...
If you mean WD40 then try to avoid that in lube situations. It's a cleaner and water repellant. As a lube it's shyte. The carrier evaporates and leaves behind a gummy surface that attracts grit faster than yo mamma on a Saturday night.

As for Plexus, the Plexus stuff I've always seen is a cleaner/polish; not a lube. Maybe they make other products?

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the OT helmet visor question, some manufacturers even recommend no chemical cleaners or polishes. I use warm soapy water plus a dilute peroxide to remove the major bug bits, followed by a small amount of Plexus. I've never experienced any visor binding/squeaking, as long as the pivot area is cleaned, and I think the slight 'waxy' residue remaining after Plexus application may be sufficient for the minor lubrication required. I don't use or recommend using Plexus or similar solely for lubricating anything, and if my helmet visor ever became squeaky or sticky, I'd be looking at possibly some plastic friendly grease, (silicone?)

Back on topic, I agree WD-40 is not an appropriate lube. I stopped using it years ago, and now use specific cleaners, such as brake cleaner or even lighter fluid, for cleaning metal bits; penetrating oil such as liquid wrench to free rusted parts; and the aforementioned ACF-50 or similar anti-corrosion agent for water repelling, corrosion protection and lubrication in certain instances. All other areas get good quality oil, such as 3M multi lubricant, lithium soap grease, quality bearing grease, or moly as appropriate.

Other useful spray lubes include cable lube, and lithium soap lube.

All of the above in moderation, of course!

I wouldn't worry about grease conducting. You generally need to buy grease that specifically says it's conductive in order to cause such problems.

Oils, Teflon, grease, etc are all good dielectrics (insulators), especially at 12V.

Opinion: Should be hide the above post as SALES/Pitch outside of the commerce section of the board?
rolleyes.gif

Hey, I didn't mention that I got the ACF 50 and that's what I used. And yes, Kaelaria, your videos are often helpful. I see you monetize them and hope that's of some help.