SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, New Mexico; September 16-19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We ate breakfast at some restaurant in Taos that was really good and REALLY packed. Can't remember the name, but I can find it when I'm there. They have a huge selection of bakery items made fresh that day. We need to put that on the schedule for one of the mornings. or maybe dinner on Friday. Maybe I can get up there next spring and make the arrangements. :yahoo: ROAD TRIP! :yahoo:

DK
My guess is that you were at Michael's Kitchen. I think it's the best breakfast place in Taos and it's only a block or two from the hotel.
I've been to Michael's when SWFOG was there 3 or 4 years ago..it is very good!

We ate breakfast at some restaurant in Taos that was really good and REALLY packed. Can't remember the name, but I can find it when I'm there. They have a huge selection of bakery items made fresh that day. We need to put that on the schedule for one of the mornings. or maybe dinner on Friday. Maybe I can get up there next spring and make the arrangements. :yahoo: ROAD TRIP! :yahoo:

DK
My guess is that you were at Michael's Kitchen. I think it's the best breakfast place in Taos and it's only a block or two from the hotel.
I've been to Michael's when SWFOG was there 3 or 4 years ago..it is very good!
Isn't it funny Burk, we were both together at SW-FOG back in 2005; were both together at group breakfast that Reid Hester put on for us. But we both only recollect riding together first with SkooterG! I think you were drunk, know I was sober; Ha!!

this blows! I can ride these roads any day I like, don't get me wrong, these are wonderful rides, but I ride them all the time. :yahoo: Make time to go to Chama for lunch at the "High country" you won't be sorry, about a two hour ride from Taos. I don't care for Taos it self much, but the surrounding area has alot of good riding in it. You also need to go from Eagle nest to Cimmiron NM, it'll be in full color that time of year. We ran that area during the LOE 1000, big fun!

When I lived in Albuquerque and spent the weekend in Taos, we used to eat at Lambert's. It was a nice place, although not real big. We used to stay at the Fechin Inn Bed & Breakfast. But I don't think it is there any longer. Perhaps it was sold and renamed.

Definitely must give this a try at SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, should go perfectly with mi mezcal, easier to wash that worm down!
Just chew that piece of leather and it goes down fine. Took me 6-8 attempts to get the technique down, but it works. Never did have any "experience", other than the runs the next day though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really gonna try to make this. My second SW-FOG. I can make this my own little FJR tradition. 1000 miles each way. Big deal for me. :blink:

Yah man go it will be a blast. This will be my second one too. Come though Havasu its on the way. Then we can hook up with Duke in Kingman for the ride out. He has a 04 like yours.

WOOT WOOT, this is great I am moving to New Mexico in Jan 2010. I have been in Alaska for 6 years and had my FJR for two years looks like SW-FOG will be my first Rally. Especially with my new job where time off is at a premium. Super excited now I just need to enlist the mother in law to come watch the little ones so I can bring the better half.

WOOT WOOT, this is great I am moving to New Mexico in Jan 2010. I have been in Alaska for 6 years and had my FJR for two years looks like SW-FOG will be my first Rally. Especially with my new job where time off is at a premium. Super excited now I just need to enlist the mother in law to come watch the little ones so I can bring the better half.
Where in NM are you landing?

Yah man go it will be a blast. This will be my second one too. Come though Havasu its on the way. Then we can hook up with Duke in Kingman for the ride out. He has a 04 like yours.
You know, that did it. I am in for this SW-FOG 2010. I think I will make this a 10 day journey and see some of the rest of this country. The question is, can I wait anther 10 months? :yahoo:

Close to home only 120 miles no excuse sounds like a go. Who knows might get the wife to come along (she loves Taos).

Close to home only 120 miles no excuse sounds like a go. Who knows might get the wife to come along (she loves Taos).
NMdcporter: Glad to hear that you can attend SW-FOG. I may ask for your help on the day rides. At SW-FOG in Page, Arizona we broke the group up into two sections, so we did not go down the road looking like a Harley-Davidson Road Train!

I'm anticipating four riding groups for our two day rides: HotRodZilla and his Brother would lead two, leaving you and I two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Dempsey One of the highlights of Saturday's ride will be stopping in Colorado to tour the Jack Dempsey Museum. I love boxing and the "Manassa Mauler" was one of the very best. Naturally, he was an Irishman!!!

https://www.museumtrail.org/JackDempseyMuseum.asp In Jack Dempsey's earlier and poorer boxing career in the Southwest he would walk into saloons and yell out: " I can't sing and I can't dance, but I can beat any Son of a Bitch in this bar!" He would then knock out all comers and take his ten percent. When he lost to Gene Tunney the second time, he said to his wife: "Honey, I forgot to duck!" Another Dempsey quote: "A champion is someone that gets up when he can't!" Now that's Irish!!

I'll be coming up for the event, next year. Couldn't attend in Page, it was the week before the LOE 1000. This time it'll be 2 week between and it'll be a good tune up. Don't know if we'll join the group rides planned, or just make up our own. You won't think much of Manassa CO, but there a nice little cafe there for a break. I'll post our planned routes as it gets closer, anyones welcome to come along.

... When he lost to Gene Tunney the second time, ...
And of course, Tunney was a Mick as well. Mum and Da from County Mayo.

(Don, you started it.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Conn And just one more famous quotation from a great Irish-American boxer: Billy Conn!

Billy was leading by points over Joe Louis until final round when he decided to go toe to toe with amazing "Brown Bomber".

Conn had been dancing around Louis for all of the previous rounds, gaining scorer's points. Joe promptly knocked Conn out!

After the smelling salts woke him up, he turned to a reporter and said: "What's the use of being Irish if you can't act stupid!"

NMdcporter: Glad to hear that you can attend SW-FOG. I may ask for your help on the day rides. At SW-FOG in Page, Arizona we broke the group up into two sections, so we did not go down the road looking like a Harley-Davidson Road Train!

I'm anticipating four riding groups for our two day rides: HotRodZilla and his Brother would lead two, leaving you and I two.
Not a problem been in the area many times several great roads. Just give me a shout and would be willing to help.