Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a search and you'll get more answers to this question than enough.

That being said, I've used a magnetic First Gear Silverstone bag that I liked. As I started riding longer distances and LD rallies I found a need for power in my tankbag and I've since upgraded to a Bags Connection bag with the quick release, powered mount. As soon as I clip the tankbag onto the mounting ring it has 12 volts inside ready to power my GPS and charge devices as needed.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mixture of sizes from very small, (holds camera only) to very big, (holds enough for a week long trip).

It all depends on what you need the bag for as I have found one bag just doesn't do it all.

Nelson Rigg is good stuff, but Cycle Gear has good prices on bags of all sizes.

Longrider

Regular everyday use I have a Cortech Micro with magnet mounting, holds everything you need unless your traveling around the world. I found that if you have a big tank bag you feel a need to fill it up with unnecessary stuff just to fill it up. I can carry my (insert self defense item here) camera, phone, comfort items, and even my hat fits. And my bars don't hit it when I make parking lot turns. Bigger is not better!

Cortech Super Mini 10 liter Magnetic Mountworks well for me for day trips. Holds wallet, small camera, side stand pad for soft surfaces, maps, notebook, spare keys, a couple of pens/pencils, sunscreen, small asst of bandages & tape for scratches/cuts, a roll of silicon emergency tape. Surprising capacity for what looks llike a small bag. I've used it a lot over the past three years and it still looks new. Seems to widely available from the various suppliers online but not listed on the Cortec site any longer. Replacement parts are available but I've never had need for any.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a tank bag?
Its a generic question so i'll give ya a generic answer- so you need to decide what you NEED to store then get an appropriately sized bag preferably with a quick disconect. I use a small givi. I am thinking about getting a bigger one that will use the same connect.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a tank bag?
Its a generic question so i'll give ya a generic answer- so you need to decide what you NEED to store then get an appropriately sized bag preferably with a quick disconect. I use a small givi. I am thinking about getting a bigger one that will use the same connect.
This... I also much prefer the quick disconnect type using a tank ring. Mine happens to be a bags connection day pack.

Thanks for all of your responses gentlemen! I know this question has probably been asked many times before and I probably needed to be more specific regarding my needs. I went with the Rapid Transit Recon 19. Not having had a tank bag before, I thought I'd try this and see how it works. The quick disconnect sounds great, but was a little expensive for me at this time. Plan to do some major trips again this spring and summer so I'm sure I'll use most of the space. I appreciate all of your recommendations.

Twisted Throttle, check out the Bags Connection selections.
--G
I was actually looking at these earlier today for the powered unit. But damn $300 for a tank bag (w/ power)
blinksmiley.gif