Tank bags or tail bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I'm looking for some extra storage, I don't want buy a rear trunk at this time. I'm thinking about getting either a tank bag or a tail bag, which do guys prefer? If I go with a tail bag do I have to buy some kind of plate to attach bag to?

I'm looking for some extra storage, I don't want buy a rear trunk at this time. I'm thinking about getting either a tank bag or a tail bag, which do guys prefer? If I go with a tail bag do I have to buy some kind of plate to attach bag to?
It depends on the tail bag you buy. Some require plates, others bungie to the back of the bike.

My wife uses and likes the Coretech Sport Tail Bag. I've used it once or twice and, while it doesn't "lock down" like a plate requiring bag would, it can be secured using the built in bungie cables.

s_r1_blue.jpg

I use the same bag that Shawn's wife does I use a cortech super mini tank bag too, for my cell, camera wallet and that sort of stuff. The tailback is mostly bigger things 12v pump, basic tools, water bottle, first aid kit, neck gaiter and snacks.

For short day trips, I have an SW-Motech gas cap mounted tank bag that I really, really like. No magnets, straps, etc. Just connects to a ring that you install on the gas cap. They have different size bags so something for everyone (I have the Vina). Also, very easy to transfer between bikes (if you have more than one) once you have a ring on each bike. B)

I use both, a cheapy Cortech tank bag for the digi-cam, a small pouch with chapstick, eyedrops, extra ear plugs etc. On the tail I have a Givi Tank bag modified to ride on the passenger seat with a couple of bungies strapping it on. I can keep a lunch, water, a layer or two and whatever else. I keep the side bags on for deep storage, more layers, flat repair, gaffers tape and a 1st aid kit and such live in there all the time...

The nice thing about tank bags is the map pocket you can look at while riding. Since doing the gps thing, I rarely put maps in there anymore, but it's useful for all kinds of other stuff. From those days, I'm still a lot more used to having a tank bag. I still toss on a small one whenever I'm touring to hold small items.

Think about a top box, though, if you really need the space. It's just a lot less hassle knowing your stuff is stored in something that locks rather than unzips. If the reason you need the space is to go touring, you'll probably end up going that route eventually anyway.

There are pros and cons to either one.

A tank bag gives you storage right in front of you where you can get to things without getting off the bike. It also gives you a place to lean on for a change of seating position. And. I like to wear my camera on a short neck strap so it rests on the tank bag. That way I can take a picture fairly quickly. On the down side, a tank bag blocks some of the wind from your body and makes it hotter on the bike.

Tail bag gives you a place to lean back on for comfort. It is not convenient to get to without getting off the bike. Also, I find myself constantly feeling back there to make sure the bag hasn't slipped.

Neither is secure.

When loading up for a long trip I normally load the hard luggage (side bags and Givi trunk) first. If I need more capacity I use a tank bag, and my last resort is to put something on the back seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tail bag gives you a place to lean back on for comfort. It is not convenient to get to without getting off the bike. Also, I find myself constantly feeling back there to make sure the bag hasn't slipped.
Neither is secure.
While tail bags that use elastic bungees are not very secure, the straps that come with the Motofizz tail bags provide a very secure mount.

While tail bags that use elastic bungees are not very secure, the straps that come with the Motofizz tail bags provide a very secure mount.
Gunny.

And the "x" that comes with the bag allows you to to keep the straps on the bike when the bag isn't, meaning you don't have to re-tie everything when you put the bag back on. In this pic, the bag is off, but the straps are still on (click on pic to enlarge):

Clicky

Neither is secure.
Yes, when I said that neither are secure I meant that your stuff is not secure. Some low life can open the bag and take things or even take the entire bag very quickly.

I used a Cortech tail bag a couple of times, which has it's own bungees, and it is pretty nice but doesn't hold very much. It is really designed for a sport bike and serves well in that role. These days, if I need to carry stuff on the back seat it is usually a tent and sleeping bag in a duffle. I have a coule of loops of strap coming up between the seats and tie everything down with a nylon strap. I never lost anything, but I still keep reaching back to check on it.

Fred~

That Nelson bag does look very nice... functional, too! I likey! :coolsmiley02:

Thanks for the link.

Don

I prefer a tail bag use a cortech sport tailbag. Pretty roomy and well made. I bont like theri bungee systems so I run nylon straps thru the bottom of the bag and around under the seat. It is more secure and a cleaner look.

boy that CL100 looks sharp mounted without the seat. anyone know anything more about it? the link seems to explain it all but the NR site shows the bottom of the bag to have flaps. I wouldn't think those would come off as smooth as the linked pics show?

If I am taking a trip that is more than a 1 night stay, I use both a tail & tank bag. But I am a woman & often overpack. I like to be prepared.

I use the Dowco Fastrax Elite Tailbag, which securely straps to the rear seat. Although I almost always ride with it on, it is easy to remove, and when expanded and filled, acts as a great rider backrest.