Tank bags or tail bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best Tail bag option ever for 2nd gen solo riding: clicky
Tailbag6.JPG

Almost makes me wish I had a 2nd gen... :unsure:

What makes this a "gen 2 only"? Is the pillion seat a different size?

More accurately, the seat on a Gen1 is a single piece - you can't just remove the pillion section (as was done here on the Gen2) and set the bag in its place. You'd have to do some pretty heavy demolition to a Gen1 seat to get the equivalent fit.
Only the accessory seat from Corbin is 1 piece. Stock seat is 2, but the sizes are different than 2nd gen.

[deleted by author - irrelevant.]
But I see that you know that... Ah, the power of editing. (But ya have to be fast)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like that setup. What if you don't want to mount it with the bolts is there another way of mounting it?
There are stories of folks buying a second passenger seat and cannibalizing it for the seat pan, so the tail bag will drop right on.

Nev'r done seen any gud pitchers of that un' there, though...

I really like that setup. What if you don't want to mount it with the bolts is there another way of mounting it?
Just curious,..

What do you have against bolting it down?

And for those of you who do bolt it down, how do you access the front seat latch?

Best Tail bag option ever for 2nd gen solo riding: clicky
Tailbag6.JPG

Almost makes me wish I had a 2nd gen... :unsure:

What makes this a "gen 2 only"? Is the pillion seat a different size?
Correctamundo. 1st gens don't have enough space for that bag in the front to rear direction.
But you can do a mount like this on the Gen I. I admit it doesn't look as good, but it's an inexpensive way to go for some extra space...

FJRTruck004.jpg

Been using my tail bag by RKA for a few years now. Can't live without it. I has a quick release mounting pad if I need to carry a passenger. I have a radar detector in the left side and a Kenwood 2-Way radio on the right hand pouch. I store the optional rain cover on the right side with the radio.

RKA Tail Bag at Bike Effects

Check my signature link for discount information.

IMG_0962.jpg

I like 'em both. I have a Givi V46 too tho.

Dude! That is one schweet looking FJR!!!

What did you do to your rims? Looks like they have been polished? Did you do? Or a shop? Clearcoat over the aluminum? Can you show some close-up photos?

Back on topic................ :blink:

As for the original post, I use both a tankbag and a tailbag. It's strictly a matter of personal preference. I put the tankbag on for trips, but have the tailbag on all the time unless carrying a passenger. Now my tankbag is a large one, and I have been considering getting a small one for local riding so I have a place to put electrics. But I couldn't live without my tailbag.

As for the security and ease of mounting of a tailbag, I use one that solves those problems:

The Elite Seat Sak from LuggageLocker.com

I have been using this bag for over 5 years now. I couldn't live without it. It attaches to the rear pillion seat. You have to (use the key) to remove that seat to get it off. So nobody can take it unless they cut it off. It's got smaller compartments on the sides that I stow my tire repair stuff and some ROK cords in. One of the great things about the bag is that all the zippers have the little eyelets so you can you use a small lock to secure them.

They recently came out with an option that adds lights to the tailbag for extra rear visibility. And the company makes an interesting tankbag that attaches to your fuel ring and doesn't touch the fuel tank.

Check them out.

I have a Givi E52 and a Corbin Smuggler along with a 28 L tank bag, with a tank bag I can get to my stuff without having to get off to get to the back, I keep stuff I need more often in the tank bag, wallet, phone, keys, maps. etc.

Just curious,..

What do you have against bolting it down?

And for those of you who do bolt it down, how do you access the front seat latch?
I have nothing against bolting it down, I want to be able to take it with me when I get to the hotel.