Technical Bulletin on 17mpg Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotecredneck

Reaction score
I just looked at the Tech Bulletin concerning the 17mpg Issue with the '06 FJR. The solution is to replace the digital meter with a new one that is calibrated correctly. No big deal......BUT, you will be the reciepient of a lovely sticker for your glove box interior showing the odometer has been replaced! This is Federally mandated due to the odometer being a part of this item. I will leave my personal bike alone as this item has no real value to me, but those that want it to work this is the only option!

This affects serial number range of 000003 through 001400. This bulletin will be available to the dealers in the next few days.

Don't shoot me I'm only the messenger! :D

Tony

Thanks Tony,

And as always, you are always the first to report in with the "official" word. I certainly appreciate it :clapping:

Thanks for the info Tony. Appreciate it.

Wonder what happens if the sticker accidently comes off. Do they put something on the title too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, you hear it here first, thanks to Tony. It may not be great news, but at least you know what Yamaha's response is...

Thanks for keeping us all up to date Tony!

I could care less about the instantaneous readout. But I do wonder if I should have it fixed just in case I go to sell the motorcycle and the next person wants it fixed. I'm guessing that a couple of years down the road MamaYama won't want to fix if for free. Any thoughts?

It's only a stinking adhesive backed sticker.. apparently.

hmm. one heat gun, a hot afternoon..

i can install my mag-knight and remove a sticker all at the same time?

Priceless. :)

yes, this will go on your title as an odometer discrepancy. and removing that sticker can get you in big trouble if you trade it or sell it.

this fix isn't worth it imo.

I just looked at the Tech Bulletin concerning the 17mpg Issue with the '06 FJR. The solution is to replace the digital meter with a new one that is calibrated correctly. No big deal......BUT, you will be the reciepient of a lovely sticker for your glove box interior showing the odometer has been replaced! This is Federally mandated due to the odometer being a part of this item. I will leave my personal bike alone as this item has no real value to me, but those that want it to work this is the only option!
This affects serial number range of 000003 through 001400. This bulletin will be available to the dealers in the next few days.

Don't shoot me I'm only the messenger! :D

Tony
I took delivery of AE 000060 and the 17mpg problem was not there. both fuel calculation functions work as specified in the manintenence manual and owners manual.

Color me confused. When my dash was replaced on the Wing due to the sticking speedometer needle, this was not required. Unplugged the old instrument cluster and plugged in the new. Existing mileage was faithfully re-displayed to it's post IP surgery. Is the FJR memory tied into this digi display v. the main CPU? Isn't this shit all tied together? Will Beverly forgive Wayne his roaming ways? Tune in next week for another addition of As the Feejer Turns, brought to you by the good folks at AMSoil.

Does this mean I have to break the bike in again? Hum, should I use the Moto-Man method or MamaYamies? Decessions decessions.....PM. <>< :D

yes, this will go on your title as an odometer discrepancy. and removing that sticker can get you in big trouble if you trade it or sell it.
Let me say that I really don't care if the next owner knows or not - it's not my nature to deceive people. But my title is sitting in my lock box at home. Exactly how is that information going to get on that title?

Let me say that I really don't care if the next owner knows or not - it's not my nature to deceive people. But my title is sitting in my lock box at home. Exactly how is that information going to get on that title?
I agree with this! Maybe you will have to present your title to get the fix? I don't see why it is such a big deal. Have your dealer give you a letter that explains the discrepancy and have him certify your original mileage.

RR

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working at the local Honda shop when the CBR1000RR came out. It had a problem with the speedo reading wrong and the whole instrument cluster needed replacement per the recall. We changed a lot of them with varying miles.

They would come in and go out with a new speedo and no sticker stating the original mileage. It's possible we were doing something wrong because the shop never kept up on current policies.

The original speedo had to have a hole drilled straight through it and returned to Honda.

So we will have to wait and see who gets the sticker and who doesn't. I'll most likely have mine fixed soon so the "original" mileage is as low as possible.

I could be wrong, but I believe there is a box on the title that gets checked anytime a speedometer is replaced. They could just inform the state, who would then mail out a new title to you with the markings on it to indicate the speedometer/odometer has been replaced.

I guess we won't really know for sure until someone actually gets this done, and then tells us how it worked. So who wants to be first?