Technical Bulletin on 17mpg Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering what yamaha intended the side panels to do. Is there any info as to what the design was supposed to do in the two positions? I have tried mine in both positions and could not really tell any difference. :unsure:
Sorry for the off topic, I intended this to be posted on anothe topic and we had a power outage here and the next thing I know, this comment showed up here. Sorry all. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohio fjr1300 did you go to the LIMA 1/2 MILE NATIONAL last Sat. Nite? My brother ,a bud ,and I did the 450 mile trip from Iowa ,and it was well worth the ride!!!

I for one am an admitted addict to trip computers. Average MPG, Instantaneous MPG, I love it! It is not a hassle (IMO) to get the speedo replaced and if the you keep the shop work order, it will have a detailed explanation of the swap along with the date and mileage. No big deal.

Besides, mine only has 600 miles on it and I'm getting it replaced, so it really doesn't matter much.

I guess we won't really know for sure until someone actually gets this done, and then tells us how it worked. So who wants to be first?
I seem to recall that chickey191 has recently had his replaced... dodn't recall anything about a sticker; perhaps he just didn't mentioon it (or hasn't opened his glovebox since the instrument readout was replaced...)

If you look closely at these side panels, when they are pulled out they actually capture the heat that would otherwise be vented out and away from the rider and redirect it back towards the rider seat. So panels in for summer - out for winter.
Exactly so.

Talked to the manager of the Yami shop and said the service bulletin just came across his desk today. Of course we heard about it here first. I bet he wonders how I get my info, I've never told him, and the new part is coming in about 5 days. He said I would have to put a sticker in the nifty glove box and a sticker in the back of the owners manual for legal purposes. I want everything is working order. I like the instant readout....PM. <>< ;)

The way mine looks, nobody will ever believe it's only got

3500 miles on it.

I've posted this before, but it seems everyone has a different story,

so I think maybe every state is different:

I had my entire cluster replaced on the '05 at about 10K miles.

Seems the chip comes with the cluster and -although

you would thik that it would have a memory-it's back to 0 miles.

No sticker. No title change.

Since I'll probably wind up trading it in for a newer model, the dealer

will have to worry about it. :glare:

Here's another bottom line...GET IT FIXED! Yamaha ought to know that there is a problem and thoroughly evaluate their quality control standards. The technical bulletin is available to the dealer. It is 10 pages. The part is available for order and should take 1.2hrs to fix...

All 06's did not have the problem. Your dealer has the VIN numbers of the ones affected. I don't know if any 06-AE's had the problem.

The service bulliten says to put the sticker in the glovebox. C.R.

No AEs had the problem. Twas fixed before they were shipped and delivered.

All this info been covered already.

Big HINT: Read the first post, and the rest of this thread.

The I had my entire cluster replaced on the '05 at about 10K miles.
How come Vinnie?

Was you da one wit da bubblin dash?

Since this thread seems to have been resurrected, is it possible to get the replacement dash without the dealer doing the install? For free I might get one just to have a spare. Still would rather have a hat :D

Since this thread seems to have been resurrected, is it possible to get the replacement dash without the dealer doing the install? For free I might get one just to have a spare.
I would say you have about a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

If anybody knows, wonder what kind of hassle it would be to replace it yourself which I would prefer to do. I don't have the repair manual as yet but swapping it out doesn't look difficult.

The dealer shouldn't balk if you say you want to DIY and agree to return the old one, should he?

I'm not troubled by the sticker or the need to explain an odometer discrepancy to any future prospective buyer. But I would forever be troubled with a sense of something in this great bike that's incomplete

I would say you have about a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.
Let's see -10 this winter, feejer thermometer read 102 today, so I would say my odds are pretty good!

I don't get what the big deal is about this 17 mpg "bug"...??? If you are bored enough to stare at the dash computer readout ----- [SIZE=10pt]you ain't riding enough!!! or at the very least--- not riding it as designed.[/SIZE] :butcher:

I don't get what the big deal is about this 17 mpg "bug"...??? If you are bored enough to stare at the dash computer readout ----- [SIZE=10pt]you ain't riding enough!!! or at the very least--- not riding it as designed.[/SIZE] :butcher:
:blink:

I'm trading in a Honda 919 for the 06 FJR A! VERY EXITED!!! From all posts on the 919 forum regarding speedo's, All the 919's read 10mph faster than actual speed. This is something I just corrected in my head. Was an all around great bike otherwise. For the price I can tolerate the 17mph issue if that's "the only issue"

How much will yamaha give us to NOT fix it? I'll take an extra $300 bux rebate for it! :D
How much you think one of those gage clusters sells for if you try to buy one.

I think $300 is too cheap. Make it an even thousand.

By the way, just for grins, I went to a dealer today to see if there was anyway I could just order the throttle pulley for an 05 and put it on my 06. Nope, gotta order the entire throttle body. I said, "I bet that costs a thousand dollars, doesn't it?". He looked up the price. $1,024.

So much for that idea.

I'll trade my broken 17mpg gauge for a throttle pulley off an 05, even Steven.

Fred,

Would you spend $300 or $400 on one of these guage/meters?

https://www.veypor.com/veypor.html

They look very interesting in all the drag coefficients, mileage, speed, torque, horsepower, shift points, etc.

I'm gonna find out more.

I guess you could compare windshields and different height settings for drag and check your speedometer while you are at it...............Cool...I think their web page says it will measure instantaneous mileage also!

No, I don't own their stock, work for them, know anyone who works for them, etc., etc., etc.

It really looks like an interesting tool for supertuning, adjusting your bike and appears to address the instantaneous mileage question (for a fee).

FJRayJ

Went to the dealer for a different reason today and saw the service department mgr. He said the bulletin crossed his desk and he already ordered the new part for me. Nice that they took care of me -- always do. So I guess I'll get it fixed, but hate the idea of a sticker and explaning it down the road.