Technical Bulletin on 17mpg Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dash unit should be able to be re-programmed so that the original odo mileage could be transferred to the new one...but....if Yamaha divulged how to do that to the field and provided the necessary tools it would immediately leave them vulnerable to people reprogramming odometers so show lower miles. Once the cat was out of the bag on how to program or re-program the units and the tools were out there it would be impossible to control it so Yamaha is just cutting their losses and not resetting the units requiring replacement to protect the rest of the odometers out there.
Very good point Jestal...a bit of CYA on Yam's part.

I just looked at the Tech Bulletin concerning the 17mpg Issue with the '06 FJR. The solution is to replace the digital meter with a new one that is calibrated correctly. No big deal......BUT, you will be the reciepient of a lovely sticker for your glove box interior showing the odometer has been replaced! This is Federally mandated due to the odometer being a part of this item. I will leave my personal bike alone as this item has no real value to me, but those that want it to work this is the only option!
This affects serial number range of 000003 through 001400. This bulletin will be available to the dealers in the next few days.

Don't shoot me I'm only the messenger! :D

Tony

OK, I'm new and obviously uninformed. What is this issue and where can I read about it? I :blink: got my '06 June 1st.

How much will yamaha give us to NOT fix it? I'll take an extra $300 bux rebate for it! :D
How much you think one of those gage clusters sells for if you try to buy one.

I think $300 is too cheap. Make it an even thousand.

By the way, just for grins, I went to a dealer today to see if there was anyway I could just order the throttle pulley for an 05 and put it on my 06. Nope, gotta order the entire throttle body. I said, "I bet that costs a thousand dollars, doesn't it?". He looked up the price. $1,024.

So much for that idea.

I'll trade my broken 17mpg gauge for a throttle pulley off an 05, even Steven.

What about letting us keep the Old one as proof!!! Certainly Yamaha wont try to resell them. Or I would even go for a Loaner FJR while mine is being reprogrammed :) FED-X the units back while the bike is in the shop, have it FED-X back to the dealer with the proper ODO reading!!! So it takes a few days, would be cheaper than new ODO's and dealing with several states on their TITLE policies!!!

Todd

BTW Thank you Tony for letting us know, You and your Dealership are an Asset to Yamaha!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What about letting us keep the Old one as proof!!! Certainly Yamaha wont try to resell them. Or I would even go for a Loaner FJR while mine is being reprogrammed :) FED-X the units back while the bike is in the shop, have it FED-X back to the dealer with the proper ODO reading!!! So it takes a few days, would be cheaper than new ODO's and dealing with several states on their TITLE policies!!!
Todd

BTW Thank you Tony for letting us know, You and your Dealership are an Asset to Yamaha!!!
That makes too much sense :blink:

Maybe I'll ask the dealer to just order me up a new gauge. I'll return it later, unopened, and get "my money" back.

Momma dinnit raise no fool!

I am starting to think that the instantaneous MPG might actually be usefull, as you could adjust windsheild height see how much it impacts MPG. You could do the same with speed, and be able to instantly see the difference in MPG from say 70mph to 80mph.

It might be nice to have fixed, and I am considering getting mine replaced.

I'm wondering what yamaha intended the side panels to do. Is there any info as to what the design was supposed to do in the two positions? I have tried mine in both positions and could not really tell any difference. :unsure:

I just looked at the Tech Bulletin concerning the 17mpg Issue with the '06 FJR. The solution is to replace the digital meter with a new one that is calibrated correctly. No big deal......BUT, you will be the reciepient of a lovely sticker for your glove box interior showing the odometer has been replaced! This is Federally mandated due to the odometer being a part of this item. I will leave my personal bike alone as this item has no real value to me, but those that want it to work this is the only option!

This affects serial number range of 000003 through 001400. This bulletin will be available to the dealers in the next few days.

Don't shoot me I'm only the messenger! :D

Tony

OK, I'm new and obviously uninformed. What is this issue and where can I read about it? I :blink: got my '06 June 1st.
Uh oh, points lost for not doing a search prior to this post. But, points restored for a great avatar.. :D

I'm wondering what yamaha intended the side panels to do. Is there any info as to what the design was supposed to do in the two positions? I have tried mine in both positions and could not really tell any difference. :unsure:
This is off topic, but it appears to me that the side panels are meant to deflect the hot air that comes out of the vent that is forward of the panel. When the panels are in the OUT position, they push this hot air off your legs. When they are in the IN position the hot air from the radiators flows along the edge of the panels and onto your legs.

So the summer position for them should be OUT and the winter position IN.

This is off topic, but it appears to me that the side panels are meant to deflect the hot air that comes out of the vent that is forward of the panel. When the panels are in the OUT position, they push this hot air off your legs. When they are in the IN position the hot air from the radiators flows along the edge of the panels and onto your legs.

That would be completely opposite from everything else I've read on here. In for summer, out for winter. I've seen your other posts on this, but haven't seen anyone else concur. so, anybody??

That would be completely opposite from everything else I've read on here. In for summer, out for winter. I've seen your other posts on this, but haven't seen anyone else concur. so, anybody??

If you look closely at these side panels, when they are pulled out they actually capture the heat that would otherwise be vented out and away from the rider and redirect it back towards the rider seat. So panels in for summer - out for winter.

John

I am starting to think that the instantaneous MPG might actually be usefull, as you could adjust windsheild height see how much it impacts MPG. You could do the same with speed, and be able to instantly see the difference in MPG from say 70mph to 80mph.
It might be nice to have fixed, and I am considering getting mine replaced.

I'm thinking you're WAY too optimistic to think it would be THAT sensitive, but I could be wrong.

yes, this will go on your title as an odometer discrepancy. and removing that sticker can get you in big trouble if you trade it or sell it.
this fix isn't worth it imo.
There is not going to be anyone contacting the state to tell them your odometer has been replaced. When you sell the bike, and sign of on the title, you have to state that either the mileage is correct, or if not what the correct mileage is. If you say it is not correct, then the title will show that mileage on the vehicle is not correct. If you get it repaired, to be in compliance with the law, you would have to say the mileage is not correct, and what the correct mileage is. I don't really think it will be a big deal for most of us. If I got mine fixed tomorrow, I would simply have to disclose that it has 5,000 miles more than the odometer shows.

Tom

Just the opposite. With them in the out position, it sucks the hot air to your legs, in the in position you don't feel any heat.

Tom