Test and Maintain your ABS System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do not have or make a test coupler, can you clear the error code just with the simple jumper????

Thanks for this post, VERY useful info!

Well I've been through both tests and everything pulses as it should...

The only query I have is that the workshop manual indicates that the ABS warning light should flash then go off. Mine flashed constantly whilst the jumper block was connected.
Hmm, I will have to look into the constantly flashing warning light. If your FJR passed all the ABS tests and has no saved error codes I wouldn't be too concerned about the flashing light. Did you check for stored error codes?

If you do not have or make a test coupler, can you clear the error code just with the simple jumper????
:blink: There is no difference between a test coupler and a simple jumper, they wuz both one and the same. Short the two test coupler pins together, turn the key ON; flick the red RUN/STOP button OFF then use the starter button as detailed in the test procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you jumper the ABS if you don't have ABS? :unsure: :p

Some poeple are way too smart, I'm not one of those. Excellent write up ionbeam, I'll keep this handy for future reference.... Some day I hope to have a FeeJ with ABS.

:blink: There is no difference between a test coupler and a simple jumper, they wuz both one and the same. Short the two test coupler pins together, turn the key ON; flick the red RUN/STOP button OFF then use the starter button as detailed in the test procedure.

OK, that was what I suspected. Thanks!

The only query I have is that the workshop manual indicates that the ABS warning light should flash then go off. Mine flashed constantly whilst the jumper block was connected.

"Hmm, I will have to look into the constantly flashing warning light. If your FJR passed all the ABS tests and has no saved error codes I wouldn't be too concerned about the flashing light. Did you check for stored error codes?"

Yes Codes 11 & 25 which I cleared. Ran through the tests a few more times and no codes shown.

I guess it would not be hard to build a jumper cable for temporary use during brake bleeding. Are those spade style connectors in the coupler residing in the FJR?
Hillbilly jumper.

DSC05926.jpg

Help. Electrical idiot here. I am finally trying to figure this stuff out today. I believe I have the right connector pictured below, but am wondering how to jump the proper 'pins' of the connector. They are awfully small. Rushes - did that hillbilly jumper work? What size are those female spade connectors?

ABSTestCoupler1.jpg

ABSTestCoupler2.jpg

The jumper worked fine. They are about 1/8" connectors.
Smallest AutoZone had was 1/4". Smallest RadioShak had was 3/16". I bought those and they are too big. Back to RadioShak where hopefully I can find some small alligator clip jumpers.

Smalles AutoZone had was 1/4". Smallest RadioShak had was 3/16". I bought those and they are too big. Back to RadioShak where hopefully I can find some small alligator clip jumpers.
Or you could use one larger clip across them...

edit

No, that might bend them.

Smalles AutoZone had was 1/4". Smallest RadioShak had was 3/16". I bought those and they are too big. Back to RadioShak where hopefully I can find some small alligator clip jumpers.

edit

That's what I am afraid of. Damaging them. Perhaps a request to Eastern Beaver isn't such a bad idea. I found 1/8" online, but I don't need 100 of them nor do I need to pay $$$$ for shipping.

edit

That's what I am afraid of. Damaging them. Perhaps a request to Eastern Beaver isn't such a bad idea. I found 1/8" online, but I don't need 100 of them nor do I need to pay $$$$ for shipping.
If there's a m/c salvage yard near you, just dig around for a couple off an old wiring harness. That's where I got mine.

No salvage yard near me. I did find some 14" alligator clip jumper leads at Radioshack (thanks ionbeam). Freaking $8 for 10 of them when all I needed was one. C'est la vie. Clicky Here.

It worked great. Once jumpered, what an easy way to test/cycle the abs hydraulic system.

If anybody else is in the same predicament as me, PM me and I'll send you one of the plethora of jumper leads I know have.

Waiting on some speedbleeders to arrive, and then a flush of all hydraulic fluids.

...I did find some 14" alligator clip jumper leads at Radioshack...Freaking $8 for 10 of them when all I needed was one...It worked great. Once jumpered, what an easy way to test/cycle the abs hydraulic system...
Maybe we can work out some kind of a deal on the superfluous jumpers in a couple of weeks. I'd love to put them in my carry on luggage and give the TSA drone a thrill.

Congratulations on confirming your ABS is live and healthy!

Alan

I too would like to express my thanks for this great information. I will admit I have looked thru my ABS supplement manual but got very intimidated and did not spend a whole lot of time with it. The brakes on my 04 have not been operating for some time and I figured it was due to the ABS unit being frozen. I’m happy to say that after doing this test procedure, the ABS pump appears to be working just fine. The issue now appears to be related to the rear sensor. I had an error code 42 in the memory, so now I’ll start the troubleshooting. Most mechanical things don’t bother me, but this “sparky” stuff is not my strong point. Have to dust off the ole multi-meter and see what I can find.

Thanks again

George "BULL" Newman

In the actual step-by-step I list the wire colors should someone want to buy just the spade connectors or wants to splice wires, either at the Coupler end or at the ABS ECU.
Which step-by-step are these wire colors listed? My FSM shows these wire designations, which ones need to be jumped?

abs-test-conn.jpg

In the actual step-by-step I list the wire colors should someone want to buy just the spade connectors or wants to splice wires, either at the Coupler end or at the ABS ECU.
Which step-by-step are these wire colors listed? My FSM shows these wire designations, which ones need to be jumped?

abs-test-conn.jpg
Jumper the Sb/B pins = Sky Blue wire gets jumpered to the Black wire, the same for both Gen I and Gen II.

Thanks so much for the write-up on ABS test, I just finished my 16000 mil service that was one thing I've not done yet I did change the break fluid, Thanks again.