The Cognoscente Group's "Wild, Wild West!" Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all are just pussies... I am leaving late this afternoon! :)

However, I need to take a little detour to Salt Lake City first, before turning west and south for Ely... should be there late Thursday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
sure going to miss the rally. ole bod just not ready yet for a tuff rally. hope all have a safe and successful run. later

you'll be conspicuous by your absence, Turbo! I know you'll be there in spirit.

Banquet rocked and I'm headed to bed now to try and catch up on a sleep deficit.

#1 Jeff Earls - K1200GT ~$730,000 (he figured out the puzzle, rode efficiently, and no penalties...a flawless ride)

#2 Matt Watkins - FJR ~$580,000 (figured out the puzzle, rode over 2K in the rally inefficiently but with great joy, and had an unfortunate $80,000 penalty at the scoring table)

#3 Dick Peek (go gar) - FJR ~$400,000 I think (not sure of his route choices)

#7 Bionic Pelvis breaks her streak of 6th place finishes. But a 7th in this group is still serious.

#8 Doug Chapman (dougc) - FJR

#10 Roger Van Santent - FJR

And RenoJohn was a higher mileage rider, but had a rock go through his radiator in Pahrump. He's lucky to make it back to the finish line.

Others to be reported later. To say FJRs dominated this event would be an understatement. Nevada 2 laners and FJRs are like peas and carrots.

Report to follow as well! The creator of this rally, Bryan Roberts, outdid himself. :clapping:

Sounds great. When I saw the theme of earning and spending money on your blog, I was intrigued. I am very much looking forward to your, or someone's, write up to understand more! It certainly sounds genious!

Congrats on a great finish and having tons of fun!

Banquet rocked and I'm headed to bed now to try and catch up on a sleep deficit.
#1 Jeff Earls - K1200GT ~$730,000 (he figured out the puzzle, rode efficiently, and no penalties...a flawless ride)

#2 Matt Watkins - FJR ~$580,000 (figured out the puzzle, rode over 2K in the rally inefficiently but with great joy, and had an unfortunate $80,000 penalty at the scoring table)

#3 Dick Peek (go gar) - FJR ~$400,000 I think (not sure of his route choices)

#4 Jerry White - FJR

#5 Terry and Lynda Lahman - Gold Wing

#6 Andy Mackey - R1200GSA including 3 hour delay to replace battery.

#7 Bionic Pelvis breaks her streak of 6th place finishes. But a 7th in this group is still serious.

#8 Doug Chapman (dougc) - FJR

#9 can't remember

#10 Roger Van Santent - FJR
FTFY

How about Jim Frens, who came 3,000 miles on his Goldwing to participate....I know he was recognized as a top ten finisher.
Jim finished 9th riding 1,557 miles and scoring $232,952

Some interesting things - all in retrospect.

There were some serious miles churned out - especially considering the ONLY "Cool" place in the State of Nevada was Rally Central where it stayed in the 80's and rained. Las Vegas was about 117 degrees, RenoJohn was changing radiator at 112 degrees and even in the North of the state the mercury peaked at 103. It was a barn burner but these riders did real well showing what they have learned about LD riding in the heat of summer. With heat like this were no easy rides.

Iggy is correct - he had a huge penalty and if he would have been awake at the scoring table would have turned in almost $100,000 more - his total could have been about $677,000 with what he had in his hand. Meanwhile Jeff Earls, who did run a darned near perfect rally did pass up on what I think could have been about 50K in additional points - just go a few blocks to get another mine and stop by Pahrump - not much out of the way for his rally (10 additional miles).

As is normal with Cognoscente events big miles usually does well - this was no different but the heat made it a different animal. While Iggy and Jeff turned in the big miles Jerry White and Dick Peek also turned in stellar rides (as usual) both scoring about 100K more than the next group of riders.

FJR Riders made up much of the starting grid and distinguished themselves very well. It was really fun to see you all out there. Hope WC can come up with something again.

Brian R.

Iggy is correct - he had a huge penalty and if he would have been awake at the scoring table would have turned in almost $100,000 more - his total could have been about $677,000 with what he had in his hand. Meanwhile Jeff Earls, who did run a darned near perfect rally did pass up on what I think could have been about 50K in additional points - just go a few blocks to get another mine and stop by Pahrump - not much out of the way for his rally (10 additional miles).

Brian R.
Great rally, Brian. I had a blast. The concept was new and refreshing.

Now about those points I "missed"? :glare: I didn't get to Virginia City until after 4pm, so I missed the second mine bonus there. Likewise Goldfield was daylight, so I skipped that. I also thought about Pahrump but those weren't in my original plan. I was running really tight on time (already about 30 minutes behind where I wanted to be) so I opted not to try to dig those unplanned cards out of my reserve stack and muck with the plan on the fly. All things being equal, given the "spend" bonuses I picked up I could have afforded another $25k in excess earnings beyond what might have been self-supporting in Pahrump. That meant that even if I'd gotten another $55k for making Virginia City by 4pm, I couldn't have claimed it because the estate tax would have more than nullified it.

I had been holding on to the Silver Peak card in my "planned" stack in case I had time to snag it (I didn't) ... but in the end, I wouldn't have been able to claim it for the same reason.

So overall, I wouldn't have changed my plan. :p

Matt, Dick, and Jerry also put in great rides. A special congratulations also goes to Terry and Linda Lahman, who rang up 5th place as a couple. Way to go everyone!

Now about those points I "missed"? :glare: I didn't get to Virginia City until after 4pm, so I missed the second mine bonus there. Likewise Goldfield was daylight, so I skipped that. I also thought about Pahrump but those weren't in my original plan.

I was thinking what you missed was the Goldfield Mine Heads. I originally had a bonus that would have been difficult in night time but changed it at the last minute to really simplify it. What I did NOT do is change it to "Anytime" which it definitely should have been changed, I thought I HAD changed it (easy pic with bike headlights). So you were correct (as I should have suspected when I saw you missed something so easy)

Originally I had the riders taking a kinda lonely dirt road out on the west side of town (where I pointed out the "detour" sign on the bonus card) to an old mining site and taking a picture of the derelict mining derrick. After finding the direct road back to town impassable and downright dangerous I decided to make it much easier and just made it a simple sign for a Gold Mine that was about 1/2 mile west of town right where the "Detour" sign was (without taking the detour and possibly getting into trouble).

I was thinking you could have easily paired that $55,000 with the two "Ranches" in Parumpf that were next door to each other and right on the way to Eldorado Canyon (where you were headed).

I should have known you were right....... Sorry I screwed up that bonus - you should have seen the original mine (and the swamp you had to ride through going back to town on the direct route) - it was kinda cool.

Oh - SilverPeak - that was a tricky bonus. There is a road direct from there to Goldfield but it is the epitome of the type of roads I was warning everyone about. Looks good then turns to crap in a heartbeat. It was really either that or Tonopah - you chose correctly.

Brian R.