The FJR's little brother

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary, nice vid. Isn't Thunderhill a blast? I have only been there a couple times but loved it.
You were carrying some nice corner speed. I agree with Russ about the off camber business in T5.

What do you think caused the front to wash?
The rear end came around on me. After watching my previous 6 laps on video, I was in the same gear/RPM and the same line. I think it was a marginal tire. It had 3 days on it already and I had debated about changing them before the event. I had a set of tires with me and planned to change them after the Saturday event, before riding on Sunday. With hind sight I wish I had replaced before leaving home. Or I simply ran out of the limited talent I possess for riding at the track.
uhoh.gif
It looks from the timing that you're running about 2:12 laps which is significantly faster than I'm capable of. What kind of tires do you use where you only get 3 solid days? Maybe with all the extra HP you have in the R1 you wear them out faster too - I have Q2's on mine and after 5 days they look they're about ready for a change. I'm thinking about trying the Q3's for next season - I've heard they're very nice. Haven't made the plunge for tire warmers and slicks, and probably don't need them at the pace I run.

They were Q2's. I just put my last set of Q2's on the bike this past weekend. I'll switch to Q3's when I need another set. It's not always simply a matter or tire wear but also one of heat cycles. I won't switch to slicks as I have occasion to ride the bike on the street. And as far as tire warmers, I just run 1-2 laps easy to warm up the tires. I also don't want the hassle of more stuff to drag around (generator and tire warmers). My best lap just, after just 2 sessions, before the fall was a 2:13. I'm pretty sure if I had ridden both Saturday and Sunday I would have gotten a bit quicker The weather was about 90F with little wind. Perfect for Thill. It had been over a year since I last rode there so I was just getting reacquainted when I slipped. Next year ....

Gary

Russ, you looked good, nice and smooth. Sucks, when you loose the rear like that....... at that point, your just along for the ride...... I live up by PIR so, my "home" track. Hope to do thunderhill someday. Thanks for sharing.