The "I lived to tell about it" ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the RR title and figured -- "just one of Niks inventive titles, OK, should be a another good one"

Uhhhhhh !! That was a report I read with mixed feelings :eek: Excellent report as always, but ............. soooooooo glad you're OK. Your 6th sense had a hand there with the donning of the padded shorts I'd say. Don't do that again huh :blink: :blink:

All that great looking food :yahoo: Glad it's dinner time here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad your ok its rare and really nice when you can get up and keep going. Nice pictures sure is pretty over there.

NIk that sure is a great testament to the effectiveness of gear. I really enjoy your reports, and am glad the get-off will not keep us from virtually touring Malaysia with you.

Thanks for the RR Nik, so glad that the getoff wasn't any worse than it was. Bikes can always be repaired or replaced...us, not so much!

Ride safe, looking forward to the Europe report! :)

--G

Nik,

You're my man if I ever tour Malaysia. Your reports are a great advertisement for that part of the world. :yahoo:

My oldest son has been dating a girl seriously now for a few years whose family roots are from Singapore. If I ever get the $$ and the chance to go over there someday...you're the man!! :clapping:

Again, great report...sorry to hear of the accident...that gave me a sickening feeling as nobody on this board likes to hear of a rider getting hurt.

Glad that you made out surprisingly well. Don't be scaring us like that again bud. :)

Nik,

As always thanks for sharing your wonderful photos, and of course I add my +one on being glad your get-off was not worse!

Also thanks a bunch for showing your gear after the slide, this is very informative. I usually ride with pants that have some extra protection around the bottom and the sides, but the glove issue made me think about what I usually wear in summer. I feel the need to double check how much protection the sides have on my favorite pair! I know they are mostly leather, but have quite a few stretch panels in there as well for comfort. Since I haven't worn them in a while I need to make sure or spring for a new and different pair.

Nik;

Any day you can crash and get back up, and finish the rest of your 4 day ride, without a trip to the hospital, is a good day. Glad to hear you made out ok.

Had a minor fall in September and was bitching about $200.00 damage to the bike. Several of my friends pointed out to me that any day that ends with I got home in one piece is still a good day.

I was rear-ended on the freeway during rush hour twelve years ago. I still have scars on my shins from them hitting the handlebars as I was flipped backwards off the bike. I'm not sure how I didn't end up on the car's hood, but I was up flat on my back next to the motorcycle. I had problems with my neck for quite awhile, but fully recovered. I was a bit dazed even though I was wearing a helmet. I'm sure at best I would have been knocked out cold with a serious concussion if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. But, I probably would have ended up in a coma or dead without it.

Funny thing is, the side of the bike never hit the ground. It was stuck upright in the guys grill. They had to use a winch to separate the bike from the car. Needless to say, the bike was totaled.

Nik

As I have heard, taking a fall is not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN. I always pafooed (sp?) such a saying until that day in Clyde Park MT. We escaped relatively intact very much like you. Your statement that your friends said you should be in a fetal position if you go down and your response about I had no idea where my limbs were, ring so true. Things happen so fast one can't possibly think of what one should be doing. It is great that the only real damage was some fairing scraps and a cut finger. Glad, you were not faster than the angels following you that day.

I have mentioned it before and will mention it again, I am in awe of your photos. The colors, the composition, the subject material are FANATASTIC. You really capture the moments. I think you mentioned you had a Panasonic DMC5, which I own as well and don't come close to your pics. Guess it is not the tool.

Thanks for the great read and the pics of the gear doing what they are suppose to WHEN that time comes. An important reminder to all of us.

Willie

Great report of the good and bad. Like everyone else glad to see the bad wasn't worse than it was. After I get a few miles on my FJR I hope some day I can jump the pond and do some riding in your area. Great pictures!!

Thanks for posting the pictures of your helmet, coat, pants and gloves. I bought a new coat and pants similar to yours not long ago, wondered if I really needed them and should have spent the money. You reminded me why all that gear is a must have and a sound investment.

Thanks and ride safe.

+1 to the gear photos. This is a solid reminder to me to be ATGATT. I've taken the ride on the belt sander and

I know first hand that the gear works.

Great R/R and here's to a safe 2012. :clapping: