The one BMW thing I miss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record, that's me on the '16 RT mentioned earlier. It's an Edelweiss bike, so I wasn't unhappy about riding it like I stole it in places like Stelvio. I guess I'll have to go to the Dragon and get a better shot, on my FJR, from Killboy.

Hmm. I don't miss a thing about our '07 K1200GT's, at least nothing enjoyable. I've found the few FJR get-togethers I've been to a lot more enjoyable than any of the BMWMOA's I attended.

Interesting... I tried to find any of the '07 forward GT's and found only one, over priced and over farkled.

As I said earlier, BMWMOA, in general, is too rah-rah. The "win this bike - for only $100 a ticket"... sigh. Like I have a few hundred bucks to toss around. Hey, gimme some pity. After all, I own a BMW (Break My Wallet, Bring More Wampum, etc.).

Obviously there are a lot of Yamahas on the road. But I rarely see another FJR, parked or on the road. Which, based on what I see here, means that if you have hexagonal panniers, you're part of a select group. So... is there anything vaguely like BMW MOA for FJR folk and, if so, I hope, less rah-rah?
You're here.

The FJR-Forum was where all the FO (Fjr Owners) started. WFO, EFO, SFO and more all sprung forth by members who wanted to gather. They are all over the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that, and the offers to to stay with folks here, pretty much wraps it up. :)

@bigjohnsd I missed the "THE road" - c'mon, there must a second road in SD to get to the first road, right? ;)

If BMW owners are that confused, maybe they should wait to sober up before riding. ;)

When I had a C10, more than one person complimented me on my BMW. Oh boy...

I never met anything but nice BMW folks. I loved my RT. But it broke down and was in the shop an average of a month a year. That eventully affected where and how far from home I was willing to ride.

My KRS had a better batting average, but on the longest trip I took, the ABS failed almost literally catastrophically. Although I continued to put at least 3-digit miles on the bike, I kept in mind where either the Anonymous Book or AAA could salvage things to a manageable state.

While BMW riders proclaim how reliable their bikes are, with astronomical amounts of mileage on them, it's interesting to read how often someone rebuilt some part of their boxer in a parking lot. And that the work is on earlier RT's. There's very little on the KRS (or later boxers or a number of other models of varying vintage) that could be sorted out when outside of an operating theater for motorcycles. To be fair, the likelihood of significant parking lot repairs for an FJR is similarly limited. However the FJR's record suggests repairs are few and far (literally) in between.

Oh my. I remember IBRallies-in-a-row where failures ended riders' finishes early. Even after the re-design that sealed the system and told buyers that it never needed service.

r1200gs_final_drive_fire-L.jpg

r1200gs_final_drive_fire_2-L.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Got rid of my Bring Mor Wallet 8 years ago, and I really miss checking valves every 6K mi.

Draining oil, (Or wuz it tranny fluid?) where the drain plug is right above the hot exhaust pipe.

Miss something breaking, failing, or falling off on every ride.

Miss the weak sauce paint shaker motor.

Miss the vague feeling front end w/ way too much unsprung weight, and incredibly short swing arm.

Miss the unpredictable, fragile, high maintenance whizzy brakes.

Miss have'in to run ($4.50 here in the golden shower state.) 92 octane.

Miss change'in them timing belts also.

FJRs is boring, cuz ya just put gas in 'em 'n ride; really miss all the drama of the roundle.

xTh2LKo.jpg

GBkD4ut.jpg

I can to relate much of that. I really did like my K1200RS, and being honest, there are some features I wish the FJR had (mostly ergos). But, yeah, Bring More Wampum became a deal breaker even before some asshats killed the bike.

Latest posts