There really is a first time for everything

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally met up with Skooterg...that's cool. Greg and pictures with food are always hysterical.....2009 examples...
Yes, feeding SkooterG is rewarding on some goofy level. I cannot explain it...
For one brief, fleeting moment this happened in Prescott AZ

IMG_9041b_zps9ca44a93.jpg

Before returning to this

PalaceAG1.jpg

[/hijack]
To bring it back on topic, maybe Fred can get Skooter to sign his forks with a silver Sharpie. :)

Congratulations Fred. The Red is great looking and the ES rides nice, although I have only managed to chocked up a couple hundred miles in my week of ownership.

Hey everyone, first off thanks so much for the congrats, and well wishes. If this new '14 ES is anything like my B4 has been for the past 8 years, I think I've got nothing to worry about.

re: That Skooter dude... It was my great pleasure to meet him, finally, yesterday. But, he really didn't sell me the bike, nor did the guy that wrote up the paperwork and will collect the commission on Friday. The design team at Yamaha sold that bike to me by designing it so damn well. To be frank, I would not have normally bought anything from that particular dealership (MOMs), but they had the good sense to bring the demo truck in. And as they say... the proof is in the pudding. The best way to sell one of these bikes, IMO, is to get some asses in the seats and let them experience just how good they are.

I did talk briefly with the sales manager about trading the B4 in on the new ES, but I knew going into that discussion that we were not likely to come to terms on that. My '05 has 96k miles on it, and that is a big problem for them. They do not want to sit on a 10 year old bike with what appears to be high miles. He really did not want to take that bike in trade if it was in stock condition. But he did like the way I had the bike customized and set up and offered me $4k for it as it stood. I just shook my head and said no, let's just take that out of the deal.

The "deal" was not fantastic. The bike is a hot ticket right now and he could have sold it several times over the weekend of demos, no doubt. What he did do, because it was a special Demo Event, was to not charge me for anything except the bike. No freight, handling, dealer setup, etc. And he backed the documentation fees (required by the state) out of the msrp.

I hesitated for a second, then considered that I'll likely be riding this bike for the next 10 years. How much will it matter if I pay even a thousand too much over the long term? He had the bike, on hand in a crate. It is the color I wanted (I don't really care what the color is next year unless it is red again). I wanted it. Deal!

I know, I know... that is not the well reasoned voice of a frugal Yankee. That is the ranting of some hyperventilating motorcycle lover. So I guess I showed my vulnerable side. I'm OK with that.

It was great having some worthy company, old friends all of them, to share my post purchase euphoria with last night, and it doesn't hurt in the least that oysters and lobsters are two of my all time favorite foods. Watching Greg wolf down that first ever lobster and enjoy it as much as I do was a kick.

Best part about the no trade deal is that I had texted my son about getting the new Feejer last night. This morning he texted back that he and his girlfriend would like to take the blue one out for a test ride together and see if it is something they'd like to buy from me. Hell yes!! I'd much rather keep all the good stuff together that I've assembled to make that bike as good as it is. I know how well it has been maintained, and that's what I would want him to be riding. And to keep the ole' girl in the family, where I could ostensibly get visitation rights, well that would be too cool... But, I really don't want to get my hopes up too much, just in case. I mean, the FJR is an old man's bike right? What does a 30 year old couple want to do with it?

Or, just maybe he's paid close attention to our ride earlier this month. You aren't going to want to do that stuff on a VFR800 and expect to come back walking straight. Anyway, we'll see how that all pans out later. In the meantimne, I'm in no rush to defarkle and sell it off right now.

Oh, and AJ, fret not. Greg can't booger up my new bike 'cause it is in a crate in their warehouse in Massachusetts right now, and he's shuffling off to Buffalo (next demo event) before it even gets delivered to ManchVegas and uncrated. ;)

Hey, wnyfjr... you are only about 15 minutes outside of Buffalo, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Called the fate of the '05 at the bottom of post #17. Fred, if you and your son can start taking some of those rides on the two FJRs that would be beyond fantastic.

Don't worry about "Getting the fever" as my Dad calls it. If Friendly Honda/Yamaha would have had sense enough to have a new 2014 ES available for sale the weekend the Demo truck was there I probably would not have been able to resist either. As it was, they would have to order one and it may take a few months... Saved myself $17K because they were not prepared.

And another succumbs to the superiority of the Gen III. :)

Fred, congratulations on the spanking new bike, and I hope you enjoy it even more than your old trusty steed. Oh, and enjoy that CC!

Fred CONGRATS on your first new perchase, feels good to know YOU are the first to break her in and make that virgin trip on your perchase.

Great reporting on the ES and congrats to Fred. I absolutely love the red and these comments make it harder to stay away from being drawn in to one of these beauties! Resistance is becoming futile!

Damn, Fred! The story of this first new motorcycle purchase of yours definitely piqued my own interest. As someone who tends to hold onto my bikes for the duration, your comments of a longer perspective on service life trumping economic considerations struck a cord with me.

Now if only it was available in a color other than red...
smile.png

Congrats on the new ES Fred!

So much for the frugal Yankee...he's all weak in the knees for an FJR!!

Enjoy. ;-)

--G

^^^^^ Same here Fred, but I'll never understand why anyone would buy a 14 ES when they already have a strong running and reliable FJR in their garage!

Congrats Fred on the new ride ! I had been enjoying your trip ride reports and was very happy to hear you two had such a great time on your long overdo epic LD adventure.

The new 14 has been calling you for some time now...I knew it wouldn't be long, but jeez only a few days after rolling into the garage LOL Best wishes cant wait to check it out! JAG

^^^^^ Same here Fred, but I'll never understand why anyone would buy a 14 ES when they already have a strong running and reliable FJR in their garage!
You forgot to put on the "sarcastic" emoticon.

I know someone else that recently did almost the same thing...
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again for all the well wishes piling on. Yeah, this is going to be a tough work-week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you have many safe and enjoyable trips on your new ride and I hope it turns out to be everything you want in a motorcycle.

Congrats! Looks like you made a great choice! I'm looking forward to all of the Gen III maintenance threads that you are sure to be adding to the forum as time goes on.

Congrats Fred! I've had that type of grin on almost all my motorcycles! This week will probably fly by... NOT!!