There really is a first time for everything

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that you were a naysayer, but I've heard si many previous Gen owners dismiss the ES based on what they read on paper (or digital screen). However, you said it best, "The best way to sell one of these bikes, IMO, is to get some asses in the seats and let them experience just how good they are."

Congrats on the purchase and hope to see you at an event some day soon.

Allen (ES #15)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^ Same here Fred, but I'll never understand why anyone would buy a 14 ES when they already have a strong running and reliable FJR in their garage!
You forgot to put on the "sarcastic" emoticon.

I know someone else that recently did almost the same thing...
rolleyes.gif
You are right on regarding the use of emoticons, my problem is that I have never figured out how to get to the emoticons when I am posting from my iPad.
confusedsmiley.png

I was a bit, maybe more than a bit, surprised you made a purchase so quickly but you definitely made a good choice. George and I spent about 5 hours yesterday doing comparisons between the ES and my 13A and the ES and his very tricked out 09. I think it was a good effort since we rode over every available road surface within 70 miles of my house and all 3 bikes were carrying the same weight. They even had the same tires and tire pressures. The only thing we did not compare was how they handled 2-up. We didn't try to assign points but if we had the ES would have been the easy winner since it was either the best or tied for the best in everything we evaluated. Its pretty amazing how far Yamaha has come with the GEN3 suspensions. You are going to enjoy your first ever new motorcycle.

Fred - Congrats on the new ride..... I'm in the same position as you with the 05 but with 1/3 the milage....

I've been waiting a long time through the lack of upgrades but I think mama yama finally got it !!! Now for the new color and I'm in... 2 more weeks...

My Pillon and I ride as often as we can with having to work....

Appreciate your writeup and glad you got to meet the boys....... Looks like fun was had by all....

Congratulations Fred.

Hopefully you and your lovely wife will bring that pretty Red machine West again next year.

Don't forget we are having a little FJR get together here in Spearfish the last weekend in June next year, the Black Hills FJR Roundup June 25-29 and you would probably claim the Longest Distance Traveled to attend award.

Well done sir! When Skooter and his merry minstrals made their way to Baton Rouge earlier this year, I too test rode the ES and it was all I could do not to walk up to the counter and plunk my money down.

I totally agree with your assessment. The Gen I v/s Gen III debate is over. The new FJR is complete and total refinement to a fantastic motorcycle and one day I will have one.

Skoot wasn't on the crew that brought demo rides here for the Spring Thunder Beach, where I rode (but did not purchase) the FZ-09. I have met him however, as he passed through here May of last year and borrowed my couch on his way through to Orlando. We patronized a beach-front food emporium where he downed both a peel-n-eat shrimp plate and a grouper plate. At an ice cream shop later, he had to be physically restrained, though.....

DSC_6872.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

Fred, enjoy your new ride!!!! They had one at the demo ride I attended but I knew better than to try it!!!

Skoot wasn't on the crew that brought demo rides here for the Spring Thunder Beach, where I rode (but did not purchase) the FZ-09. I have met him however, as he passed through here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/152526-a-visit-from-on-high/]May of last year[/url] and borrowed my couch on his way through to Orlando. We patronized a beach-front food emporium where he downed both a peel-n-eat shrimp plate and a grouper plate. At an ice cream shop later, he had to be physically restrained, though.....
[img=[URL="https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CmoK4Pm7miM/UZrU_Lomy8I/AAAAAAAALP4/LQ-GvHmBvi8/s800/DSC_6872.jpg%5D"]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CmoK4Pm7miM/UZrU_Lomy8I/AAAAAAAALP4/LQ-GvHmBvi8/s800/DSC_6872.jpg][/URL]

[img=[URL="https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fGGnwOFZwoY/UZrVCW8UQoI/AAAAAAAALQQ/jV-JqpYK9-c/s800/IMAG0207.jpg%5D"]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fGGnwOFZwoY/UZrVCW8UQoI/AAAAAAAALQQ/jV-JqpYK9-c/s800/IMAG0207.jpg][/URL]

Fred, enjoy your new ride!!!! They had one at the demo ride I attended but I knew better than to try it!!!
Why is it that every pic with Scooter has him eating or food nearby!?

I am feeling your excitement about that new machine. It is contagious.

And, since we are talking about first times, my very first lobster was eaten off of a paper plate at Newick's in Dover, NH along with my first bucket of those strange steamer clams which come from nature with a handle on them. It had to be good with the excellent food and good company.

Whooooohoooooo!!

Hey we were at the coast this weekend but didn't call cuz we figured you would be busy unpacking from your recent LD adventure. Little did we know that you would be up to something this extraordinary!!!

I'm sooooo excited fro you.

I love my ES. It's the best motorcycle I have ever owned.

So....why don't you hurry up and get the farkles on it and then join us for the EOM?

OMG Fred!! Congrats on the new FJR. The red clan is growing. This 2014 ES is a sweet piece of machinery. I'm happy for you and TMJ. We feel the same way, really looking forward to the next ten years with the ES. Let the farkling begin.
hyper.gif

Have you never met Skooter? Don't let his skinny ass fool you. That guy has a tapeworm.
Yep, down at Daytona Bike Week! He is skinny so the tapeworm theory makes sense.
Yer both wrong.

Since that muscle between his nose and his chin never stops moving, it burns up a LOT of calories...

Gary

darksider #44

A mans gotta' do what a mans gotta' do....

Congrats Fred!

Heh heh... Thanks again, everyone.

@MCRIDER - It may have appeared that this was a sudden move, but in reality this was a something that I have been mulling over for some time now. I was not sure if it would be a move to the ES, until I rode it.

About a month ago I was considering moving to just a big ADV bike, like maybe an R1200GS, or the new Vstrom, and getting away from the big STs. Most of my riding through the year is just day rides in New England, where an ADV bike really shines. But our Ride to the Divide killed that idea. The old FJR proved to be far too capable of a mile eater, and we came to the conclusion that we like doing the big rides after all.

Once I knew I needed to keep an ST bike, I was actually considering trying a Honda ST1300 for the silky smoothness of the V4, and had exchanged PMs with RFH, since he has direct experience with both bikes. Then everything just fell together... We got home and the post card was in the mail for the demo truck. Called the dealership and they had an ES in stock (one). And it was still there almost a week later when I went for the demo. The rest, as they say, is history.

re: Skooter's ability to eat... I think it's his svelte shape, but when you meet him you just have the urge to feed the boy. Besides, stuffing his face with food is the only way for you to get a few words in the conversation edgewise. ;)

And yes, Skootie really can turn his own wrenches (without even flipping his bike upside down) as evidenced here:

SkooterGoilchange.jpg

I understand that after performing his overdue oil and air filter changes at This Old Garage yesterday morning, that he and Prof. ionbeam went out for a little ride about through New Hampshire yesterday afternoon. Wished I could have joined them but had some things to catch up on after being away for two weeks.

@ Jim n' Iris - Thanks for the welcome into the red bike club. I'll be PM'ing (or emailing) you two for sure since you have a good ~ 5 months head start in the farkle department, and I'll need some guidance on how to spend more money. ;)

As for EOM, I actually have some other plans for that weekend (EOM's always on my birthday!) for a run up to Bah Habah on my big red birthday present with a few other locals. You two were going to be invited, but I had already seen your plans to attend EOM. Have fun and bring back some good stories!

@900gc - I never knew Doogie Howser could sing. Well, actually... maybe I still don't.
no2.gif

Congrats on the hew ride! I'm in that camp that loves the red color. I've only had my '07 for 2 years so far and it has too many miles left in it to trade up just yet. However the wife has been riding pillion once in a while recently instead of on her Harley and she's quite impressed with the power and handling. She's begun to question how much would it take to lower the '07 so she can reach and I can have a '14.

You know the real comparison would be to immediately redo your recent vacation on the new ride so we could have the freshest possible comparison.

You know the real comparison would be to immediately redo your recent vacation on the new ride so we could have the freshest possible comparison.
Great idea!! You start up the collection to fund this forum experiment and as soon as you hit $2500 I'm back on the road. :lol:

And yes, Skootie really can turn his own wrenches (without even flipping his bike upside down) as evidenced here:
SkooterGoilchange.jpg
Are you sure that's Skooter's bike? Looks to me like he's carefully placing a booger in that shot, but I could be wrong.

Congrats on the new bike Fred. Sounds like a hell of a day you had - too bad every day can't be like Christmas, huh?

Just got off the lake from a 4 day drunk... 2 sum great news! CONGRATS FRED!!! Yahooie
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

But, It will be strange seeing you without the Bass Bowt Blew, but I think I can adapt
wink.png

And, I'd call you Mister Big Bucks (after an epic 2 week vacation and then a brand new bike purchase)... but I know better. U guys having that awesome trip just made your decision so much easier for your future upcoming rides. Super happy for you and Josie, so it's now time to book either NAFO (or both as I have done) EOM! ?????

....bring the new toy, ride the fun roads, BS & drink lotz'a beers after.. u know, the norm. (and a big 'gar may be in order!)

Mega Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts