There really is a first time for everything

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and AJ, fret not. Greg can't booger up my new bike 'cause it is in a crate in their warehouse in Massachusetts right now, and he's shuffling off to Buffalo (next demo event) before it even gets delivered to ManchVegas and uncrated.
wink.png

Hey, wnyfjr... you are only about 15 minutes outside of Buffalo, right?
rolleyes.gif
Oh crap, really? I was talking to Laura about this the other day when I first read your post, and she informed me that she doesn't care for the red...if Skooter and the demo truck are around here, I will HAVE to go see, but I'm not supposed top be tempted. When are they supposed to be in Buffalo??

<edit>

Just looked it up, it's this weekend at Bob Weaver Motorsports. I'll have to go up there. Of course, I have ridden the AE for so long, I'd probably look like a dork stalling the ES in front of Skooter 'cause I forgot how to use a clutch lever!!

Last edited by a moderator:
<edit>Just looked it up, it's this weekend at Bob Weaver Motorsports. I'll have to go up there. Of course, I have ridden the AE for so long, I'd probably look like a dork stalling the ES in front of Skooter 'cause I forgot how to use a clutch lever!!
Trust me, you can't look nearly as bad as some of the demo riders
uhoh.gif

Bring a helmet, driver's license, shirt with sleeves, leave the sandals at home and wear pants. Sign up, (needs an email address) rides leave every ~30 minutes. Leave wallet at home. Well, maybe not, it worked for Fred. You will get some Skooter Special controls training and then off you go on a wonderful motorcycle
bike.gif
It runs so sweet you probably won't even notice it's red.

What he said...

If you test ride the bike and love it, but really can't stand the red (I love it) then just wait until later in September and see what the 2015 color will be. Maybe it will be something you like better?

For me, that was not an option. I really do like the red, and if 2015 turns out to be something I don't like, there won't be any 2014 ES leftovers around since they are selling every one that they can pry away from Cypress.

Do they allow 2-up demo rides? Laura will come with me, likely to remind me that we can't afford it right now, but who knows...

I do not know. I didn't even think of doing that. I figured it will be just about the same experience for the passenger as my old one, once I change the seat and install the trunk. Josie wouldn't ride on a bike without the trunk anyway, so that would kill that for her.

After a long fun day of test riding Yamaha bikes I come home and tell Pillion that the new ES is so spiffy I see my trusty old Gen I being replaced. Pillion says, "WHY DIDN'T YOU BRING ME ALONG FOR THE TEST RIDE TOO?"

article-0-04CE9FF5000005DC-133_634x351.jpg

At which point I wondered if they allowed two-up rides. When Skoot comes back from exploring Mt Washington and Hurricane Mountain Road this afternoon I'll ax him.

In your case Alan, it probably would have resulted in us fighting over the one remaining ES!
laugh.png

I'm sure that MOMs would have liked to see a bidding war!

Quote from Fred: March 19, 2014 @ 9:31am

I think maybe you missed the point Allen, that isn't a painting. It's a metal and stained glass piece, and a very cool one. Of course it would be even better if it looked like this:

So Fred, do you still think your ES would look better in Bass Boat Blue??
smile.png

It is going to be a long week to make it to Friday for you... at least it will be a long weekend.
rolleyes.gif

I guess you got me there.

My colors are definitely changing, getting a a whole lot longer in the frequency spectrum.

Hey! Maybe it will help with those Doppler shift radars? :unsure:

After a long fun day of test riding Yamaha bikes I come home and tell Pillion that the new ES is so spiffy I see my trusty old Gen I being replaced. Pillion says, "WHY DIDN'T YOU BRING ME ALONG FOR THE TEST RIDE TOO?"

At which point I wondered if they allowed two-up rides. When Skoot comes back from exploring Mt Washington and Hurricane Mountain Road this afternoon I'll ax him.
Hahahahaha......OMG ...I just spit my coffee ....LOL

I'll 2nd what Niehart said.

My wife and I went 2-up when the big truck stopped in the Mpls area. Surprisingly though she couldn't tell the difference in ride from my '05 to the '14. But then again the group leader had us going a brisk pace and Joy did what she could to hang on. However, what really matters is I could tell the difference.

... Of course, I have ridden the AE for so long, I'd probably look like a dork stalling the ES in front of Skooter 'cause I forgot how to use a clutch lever!!
No problem, using the clutch lever is like riding a bike
rolleyes.gif
. At least, that is what I found.

Mind you, I've always used the finger gear-change so as to avoid forgetting to use the clutch lever if ever I did ride a stone-age bike
omg2.gif

Yeah, I guess there is no reason that they wouldn't allow 2-ups on the test rides. But your lady can't be wearing no halter tops or assless chaps.

What they won't allow is to ride wiothout a helmet (though it is 100% legal in this state), no sleeves on your shirt (though I'm not sure what good a long sleeve tee shirt would do), or wearing short pants (though I have seen first hand how good jeans are at reducing road rash, which is to say they are not). But I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, right?

You also need to have an MC endorsement, but that sure as hell doesn't prove that you know how to ride. Some of the chuckle heads on the 2 test rides I was on were downright scary to be near. I kept a lot of distance between me and thems. Thank goodness we all made it through the grueling 10 mile course that included (NH) city traffic. Makes me really appreciate the riders I usually ride with. ;)

Good times...

I kept thinking about this picture as I continued reading down through this thread. I couldn't resist posting up this thought:

They might be a little shorter, a little lighter, and maybe not quite as strong, but this picture is a reminder to us all: there's a reason they say "When mama's not happy, NOBODY'S happy."

Gary

darksider #44

When I took my first test ride (on a '10 or '11), I had to wait for the returning bikes. When the rolled back into the parking lot I walked over to the FJR and asked the couple aboard how they liked it.

The response was quite positive. The Pillion said she didn't want to get off and asked , with a twinkle in her eye, if I'd like to take her for a ride.

Since I wasn't sure if she meant a motorcycle ride, I chalked her mood up to the thrill of the rear seat and declined to offer.

When I finished my turn I knew EXACTLY how she felt!

Awesome news, Fred! While buying a used FJR is pretty low-drama, there's nothing quite like the feeling of riding off on a bike where you're the first and only rider, that has what you want.

And your reason is the best one of them all - to take more trips with TMJ!

Congrats!

When I took my first test ride (on a '10 or '11), I had to wait for the returning bikes. When the rolled back into the parking lot I walked over to the FJR and asked the couple aboard how they liked it.The response was quite positive. The Pillion said she didn't want to get off and asked , with a twinkle in her eye, if I'd like to take her for a ride.

When I finished my turn I knew EXACTLY how she felt!
You freak! What man let YOU ride pillion? I swear...

Yeah, I guess there is no reason that they wouldn't allow 2-ups on the test rides. But your lady can't be wearing no halter tops or assless chaps.

You also need to have an MC endorsement, but that sure as hell doesn't prove that you know how to ride. Some of the chuckle heads on the 2 test rides I was on were downright scary to be near. I kept a lot of distance between me and thems. Thank goodness we all made it through the grueling 10 mile course that included (NH) city traffic. Makes me really appreciate the riders I usually ride with.
wink.png

Good times...
Uh Fred? Chaps by definition don't have a "seat" if they did then they would not be chaps. They would be pants.

Of course now I have a mental picture of a biker chick in a halter top and chaps...

They might be a little lighter,

"When mama's not happy, NOBODY'S happy."

Gary

darksider #44
Lighter? Mine sure as heck isn't! And just how in the name of heaven do you make a woman happy? I have tried placing hundred dollar bills in her hand until she stops fussing and even that did not work.

Back on topic:

Fred, you have me in a bind. I am afraid that my well set up and fully paid for Honda ST1300 has lost much of its appeal for me. I may have to drop the hammer on a '15. As shallow as this sounds, that may depend on what color they offer for next year.

Uh Fred? Chaps by definition don't have a "seat"
Surely you know that I know that. That is what makes them such a ridiculous concept. You want to protect your legs on the front from cold air and bugs, but you don't want to protect your buns from being ground down by the ass-phault?

Of course now I have a mental picture of a biker chick in a halter top and chaps...
Come here (to Laconia, NH) next Fathers Day and you can see as many of those as you want. But I must warn you: They will not necessarily be attractive women riding around in that getup...

And just how in the name of heaven do you make a woman happy?
My experience is to just put her on the back (on a Russell seat) and ride her out to the big mountains. (heated gear was used to accomplish this even in summer)

Worked for me!
wink.png

Will you have a tinge of buyers regret if the 15 comes out in Bass Boat Blue?
Nope. I've had a good 10 years of Blue Bliss... now I am set up for some Ruby Rapture.

Will I see you at the Rapture?
unsure.png

Besides, I'm hoping the B4 stays in the family and I can visit it on weekends.
wink.png

Latest posts