Thermometer Farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Reaction score
With the temperatures fallong I thought I would post my Formotion thermometer install. The bracket shown came with the unit - I only needed to find a longer fairing screw. High quality, oil filled. Available in Farenheit or Celcius....

Therm1.jpg
Therm2.jpg
Therm3.jpg

I've thought about doing this also. I'm concerned that placing the thermometer anywhere in the dash area will not give accurate outside air temps due to all the heat coming up from the motor. I think that I might get one of the digital thermometers that have a small remote sensor. I'll put the display in the dash area and the remote sensor in front , somewhere near the front fender/inside fairing.

Claymore, is that thermometer back-lit so you can see it at night? I don't see any 12v power running to it, is why I ask...

Concur with socalrk in that you're undoubtedly picking up at least some sympathetic heat readings filtering up from the engine bay just from mounting it there on the dash. Still and all, the Formotion thermometers are very cool.

A remote sensor is the only way to fly for a motorcycle application, but these can certainly add to the cost of the unit....

Last edited by a moderator:
First off let me say this post is not intended to offend anyone, just to tell you my experience with the Formotion temp guage. I too thought it looked liked a nice piece of kit and thought it would be a nice addition to the dash of my FJR. It was in fact a nicely built, seemingly quality item. The downside is it turns out it was extremely inaccurate measure of temperature. It was off by as much as 10-12 degrees at any given time. I tried multiple mounting locations including stuck to the face of my speedo, in the map pocket of my tankbag, and everywhere in between. Especially bad was if you stopped for any length of time and the sun happened to be aimed at or near it's face, it would peg the the guage. I finally decided I must have a defective unit and returned to Formotion. To their credit Formotion was great to deal with and sent me another unit. This one wasn't quite as bad (8-10 deg.) as the first, but still not what I had hoped. Perhaps I expected too much from the unit, but I ultimately retired it to the the garage. I know to subtract about 10 deg. from it's reading and that works fine for what I'm using it for. As far as seeing it at night, it was worthless. Any ambient light from your gauges or GPS would easily wash out whatever pitiful glow it could muster. This all took place a couple of years ago and who knows, maybe they got alot better. I still have hope that Datel will see their way clear to start producing their version for consumption.

Warchild,

Any chance we could take a tally of those interested in the "real thing" in hopes Datel might consider making them available. I'd go $80.00 for what I see residing on your shelf!

Warchild,        Any chance we could take a tally of those interested in the "real thing" in hopes Datel might consider making them available. I'd go $80.00 for what I see residing on your shelf!
Well, I can give it another shot and call them up on Monday, I suppose.

My speculation - and it is only that, speculation - is that, again, they may not feel it worthwhile financially, so it would have to take a amount of serious interest to convince them otherwise.

The particular Datel Thermometer I have was a very early prototype, and did not have its rear circuit board encased in epoxy. I had to performed this task using GE RTV Silicone. The production unit should have this done prior to shipping, but again, this will add to the overall cost of each.

The black ABS plastic Project Box (1"x2"x3") is from Radio Shack; cost: $2.60. (Truthfully, a 1"x2"x2" would have been better, but this size does the job nicely enough.) The project box in the photo below has already seen the taste of my Dremel: the large rectangular opening for the Datel to reside, and a 'U'-shaped notch in the back for the power line/sensor circuit to exit out the rear.

Prior to placing it in the box, I first completely engulfed the rear circuit board/sensor leads in RTV silicone. Then I inserted the Datel Thermometer into the Project Box and torqued down the four phillips-head screws on the lid:

project_box.jpg

Another aspect that may have made them hesitant to produce these is the blue LED readout. As you can see below, while it looks exceptional even in bright daylight, this bad boy is TOO BRIGHT at night. Even to this day, I have to stick a small piece of duct tape on the readout at night, else I am bathed in a bright blue light. Seriously. I look like one of the IBM "Blue Men" dudes in their commercials unless I cover it with duct tape.... and the blue LEDs are so intense, the readout still comes through the duct tape just fine at night.

lit_on_tankbag.jpg

All that having been said.... these Datel Themoneters are ultra-deadly accurate, usually to within +/- 0.1 degree F. I fine myself referencing it all the time on my long LD rides. It is somehow strangely comforting to know exactly how bad you're freezing your ass off while cresting a 7,000' summit at 3AM, or to know exactly how bad you're melting in your saddle while crossing the floor of Death Valley at 2pm in August..... :blink:

I fine myself referencing it all the time on my long LD rides. It is somehow strangely comforting to know exactly how bad you're freezing your ass off while cresting a 7,000' summit at 3AM, or to know exactly how bad you're melting in your saddle while crossing the floor of Death Valley at 2pm in August.
Couldn't agree more. I wonder if it isn't a blessing we really don't know how cold/hot it is! As long as my electrics have enough "volume", I'm happy. Thanks for the input. Maybe someone will step up with a solution..............

The 2006 is gonna have a thermometer. I am just gonna wait til WC writes up a tech artical on how to replace the old dash with the new. :bleh:

I bet for the price of a new dash, you will be better off to trade the bike in on a new one

Here's what I did. I went to the pet store and bought a thermometer designed to monitor the temperature of fish tanks. It's got a sensor attatched to the display with a 12in. (or so) wire. I mounted the sensor to the front fairing just above the fender. I attached the display to the dash with double back tape. Seems to be working great and given the "marine" application, it should hold up well during the rainy Puget Sound winter. Total farkle cost $12.99. Only downfall is no back light but I can deal with that.

The 2006 is gonna have a thermometer. I am just gonna wait til WC writes up a tech artical on how to replace the old dash with the new.
You'll be waiting a while, then, because I have no intention of trying this mod.

Partly because the new dash is, quite frankly, a step backwards, IMO. To me, it looks like crap; and it is hosed up to have the mph numbers so damn close to one another compared to the original instruments.... WTF were the Yamaha engineers EVEN thinking here?
nuts.gif

IMG_0316.jpg

But the main reason is that I am highly doubtful the new dash would work (or even connect) to the older FJRs. There are undoubtely a number of sensors the new instruments use that the old dash does not... the thermometer sensor, the gear indicator, etc.

Hey Claymore, I cant find your thermometer on the formotion website...this is the closest one...which one did you order?

GAL-74100%20(wb-sq-r)%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg

Add me to the list of the tried the formotion and it sucked!

And also to the list of the I want the Datel!!!!

Another aspect that may have made them hesitant to produce these is the blue LED readout.  As you can see below, while it looks exceptional even in bright daylight, this bad boy is TOO BRIGHT at night.
Bah... the blue rocks! I have the blue LED Datel voltmeter and just positioned it out of the way. I stuffed it into the front frairing panel on the clutch side, just in front of the joint between the main engine fairing and the front fairing.

Right about here...

DatelLocation.gif

You can make it out in that picture only because of the reflection. It's amazing unobtrusive if you can do a good fairing hack job (until it's turned on of course). It's out of the way enough not to bother me, but easily seen when I need to know how much juice I'm pulling.

Oh... and the chicks dig it. B)

Partly because the new dash is, quite frankly, a step backwards, IMO. To me, it looks like crap; and it is hosed up to have the mph numbers so damn close to one another compared to the original instruments.... WTF were the Yamaha engineers EVEN thinking here?
I agree... I love the gauges on my R1 w/ tach in center and large digital speedo to the left. I think that would have looked good on the FJR and balanced the digital info on the right side. And.. I could actually see how fast I was going. If I get a 2006 FJR, I think I'm going have to fasten a freakin magnifying glass over the speedo.

Count me in for one if that tips the balance. Maybe ask them at what price point and volume they would make them? If we're one shy I'll buy two.