Thinking of buying a sena smh5 or 10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been working for a while to setup a 10% forum discount for Sena items and it was approved this morning! To my knowledge this will be the best deal offered for the SH5 and SMH10 anywhere. Hopefully by the end of the day is is setup.
A 10% discount, along with free shipping, by many vendors is pretty standard and hasn't required a group-buy.

And the big difference between the SMH10 V4 and the SMH10 is?

Just asking because most of the local folks [try very hard to by locally] have the SMH10's.
They are the same physical unit. The v4 is simply a firmware update to previous units (but only the units with the micro-USB port on them). More info on the v4 update HERE.

I been working for a while to setup a 10% forum discount for Sena items and it was approved this morning! To my knowledge this will be the best deal offered for the SH5 and SMH10 anywhere. Hopefully by the end of the day is is setup.
A 10% discount, along with free shipping, by many vendors is pretty standard and hasn't required a group-buy.
PASS. Shop around. Sena shows their Retail price at $219. I paid WAY WAY less than that (25% off) just last week on an SMH10. Shipping was even heavily discounted and, they marked it as a gift so I didn't have to pay tax on the item coming into Canada.

AND they're an authorized dealer.

PASS. Shop around. Sena shows their Retail price at $219. I paid WAY WAY less than that (25% off) just last week on an SMH10. Shipping was even heavily discounted and, they marked it as a gift so I didn't have to pay tax on the item coming into Canada.

Bungie, I'm an authorized Sena Dealer. I then was selected for their Star Dealer membership from Sena corporate 2 weeks ago.

You are comparing your single SMH10 unit to my dual price! The single SMH10 would come out to be less than $150 shipped.

Bungie, I'm an authorized Sena Dealer. I then was selected for their Star Dealer membership from Sena corporate 2 weeks ago.

You are comparing your single SMH10 unit to my dual price! The single SMH10 would come out to be less than $150 shipped.
Alex, PM sent

I may be the voice of difference here.

My wife, my riding buddy, and myself feel that there isn't enough volume to use these with earplugs.

I'm sort of a special case because I already have a hearing problem. I solved it with custom-molded earphones, but that was $300 and another set of wires.

My wife, with normal hearing, uses the max-leight 33 db earplugs with her Sena and claims she has enough volume to communicate and listen to music, but not enough to understand podcasts or audiobooks. She is on an SV650 with much less windnoise than the FJR.

And my buddy, on a VFR (less windnoise) and with normal hearing, also uses custom earphones because the Sena isn't loud enough for him to really enjoy the music.

So you might be OK, but it will be borderline.
Can i ask what are custom molded earphones? are they ear buds added to a personal molded inner ear piece? if so how do you get those?

Last edited by a moderator:
The SMH5 is really cheap right now. I just wrote a review on RiderGroups about the SMH5 and you can get them through Amazon for under $100.

https://www.ridergroups.com/featured/sena-smh5/

I have used the G4, G9, and the Midland next. The SMH5 is the best of the bunch by far for what use it for...and the cheapest.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SMH5 is really cheap right now. I just wrote a review on RiderGroups about the SMH5 and you can get them through Amazon for under $100.

https://www.ridergroups.com/featured/sena-smh5/

I have used the G4, G9, and the Midland next. The SMH5 is the best of the bunch by far for what use it for...and the cheapest.
Even less if you utilize the forum discount on the link below!

I love my SMH10's, just upgraded V4.1. Don't know that I needed to update them.

The sound is great. I can hear them at highway speeds, and no kidding, people that talk to have no idea I have a helmet on.

I am in the process of making a decision as to which system I want and I am leaning towards the Sena SMH10. So Alex, what is your deal that you have and does it apply to Canadians ? :D

Ordered from Alex to be shipped to my freight receiver at the border - the timing worked out for me because my Westone UM2s are in transit from the factory after being repaired (yes, you DO have $250 earphones repaired when they break). Hopefully I'll see a shipping notice today.

I ordered the SMH10 single system plus the SMH-A0304 that has the earbud socket and comes with 2 microphones (it would have been nice if Sena offered a bundle with the base i needed so I could have saved $33). Price was ~US$178 shipped for both items.

I bought my dual set of SMH10 in early spring. I wear ear plugs and the girlfreind doesn't. So the separate volume adjustment works great. Wind noise can be a problem sometimes but I haven't been able to figure out whether it is my helmet or the girlfriends. My XM radio is not bluetooth (not in the Zumo GPS) so I hard wire it to my unit. If I lisen to music that way I don't hear the other unit. If I want to talk I simply tap my button and music shuts off and I can talk to her. She can do the same thing. She taps the button my music shuts off and she can talk.

re:

And the big difference between the SMH10 V4 and the SMH10 is?

I think it's updatable ROM.

Also one issue I see with the cheaper Sena are the wires that plug into the unit rather than going to the mount. I had an interphone F4 before the sena, and these wires/connector had to be unplugged every time I took the unit off the helmet to charge it (charging port was the same port) - the SMH10 charging port has nothing to do with the connectors for the speakers and mic and in fact there are NO wires on the unit. I really like that and so far it's been a terrific unit.

Ordered from Alex to be shipped to my freight receiver at the border - the timing worked out for me because my Westone UM2s are in transit from the factory after being repaired (yes, you DO have $250 earphones repaired when they break). Hopefully I'll see a shipping notice today.

I ordered the SMH10 single system plus the SMH-A0304 that has the earbud socket and comes with 2 microphones (it would have been nice if Sena offered a bundle with the base i needed so I could have saved $33). Price was ~US$178 shipped for both items.
Thanks for the info... will PM Alex.