Tools for TBSync

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A visit to the Pets-R-Us aquarium department will reveal all sorts of itty bitty plumbing parts. I use 4 little thumbwheel valves to smooth out the pulses to my 4 guage balancer.

I built the homemade one the other day and used it last night. I used motor oil in mine and it worked just fine.

An observation on the original plans...the 1/4" ID tube is too large for the vacuum fittings on the TB's...it must be stepped down to 1/8" or something along those lines in order to form a good connection at the TB vacuum ports. At first, I did the cut and tape trick; however, a good seal could not be obtained (you know you have leaks when one of the tube's fluid level takes off and heads for the motor while the others drop...so long as they aren't leaking either). I just about gave up and was prepared to head to the store for when I eyed a years old can of motocycle fix-a-flat sitting on the shelf...it had a small diameter clear tube dangling from it. Turns out it was 1/4 OD 1/8 ID tubing. I cut it into 4 bits and twisted each bit into the ends of my manometer tubing; it's a very tight squeeze fitting them in, but it formed a nice tight seal without needing any tape.

I screwed each TB adjustment screw in slightly snug then backed each one off 1/2 a turn to set a start point. The jury-rigged manometer tubes slipped snugly over the TB ports and when I started the bike, the levels were tame (i.e. no apparent leaks) and ready for adjustment. Went back and forth a few times, but eventually arrived at a point where all tube levels were within 1/4" of each other.

manometer.jpg