Tour master vs first gear heated jacket?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animalrooster41

Reaction score
Heading for the pacific NW and need to purchase a full heated jacket for the cold coast ride. I have narrowed it to one of these two, opinions please.

I have the Tourmaster gear, and it works well. The jacket liner zips perfectly into my Aerostich Darien. No experience with the First Gear stuff, so I cannot compare the two.

I have the FirstGear jacket liner and gloves. They're great. I used them for my 400 mile weekly round trip all last winter. Great stuff.

I have Tourmaster heated gloves and the controller went bad after 1 year. I emailed Tourmaster about it and 4 days later a new one was on my doorstep no charge.

Drew

Funny. My Tourmaster Jacket Liner arrived today in the mail. Man, 30 years riding and I've never owned a heated jacket - and where I live!

Anyway, can't try it out today.. its about 80F and sunny today! WOOT!

Edit: Oh ya! Do NOT go buy Tourmaster sizing charts. According to it, I needed an extra small (42" chest, I'm 5'10" tall and 165). I thought no way can that be right. I ended up ordering a small, and it fits perfectly, well, maybe a little tight across the shoulders..

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the tourmaster have the heated neck collar like the gerbings? I see it comes with the controller -- no charge!

Heading for the pacific NW and need to purchase a full heated jacket for the cold coast ride. I have narrowed it to one of these two, opinions please.
Though not directly addressing your question, but felt like providing this input. If you have a good jacket that you normally use, then IMO settle for a full heated liner. The heated material has to be quite snug to your body for most efficient heat transfer (I think Gerbing's website mentions that too, and I didn't take it too seriously when making my purchase; however, released while actually using it how important a snug fit was). Again, IMO, a snug liner wins over a snug jacket, since you don't need the liner all the time, but surely need to wear your jacket all the time, including in warm weather.

Secondly, per my experience, temperature controller is a waste of money; switch is sufficient enough. Reason - if the weather is cool, one doesn't switch on the heating element, which is when the controller would normally be used. Heating is turned on when it is cold, and at that point nothing short of a continuous full blast from the heater is needed - switch ON.

Though not directly addressing your question, but felt like providing this input. If you have a good jacket that you normally use, then IMO settle for a full heated liner. The heated material has to be quite snug to your body for most efficient heat transfer (I think Gerbing's website mentions that too, and I didn't take it too seriously when making my purchase; however, released while actually using it how important a snug fit was). Again, IMO, a snug liner wins over a snug jacket, since you don't need the liner all the time, but surely need to wear your jacket all the time, including in warm weather.

Secondly, per my experience, temperature controller is a waste of money; switch is sufficient enough. Reason - if the weather is cool, one doesn't switch on the heating element, which is when the controller would normally be used. Heating is turned on when it is cold, and at that point nothing short of a continuous full blast from the heater is needed - switch ON.
I apologize for getting a little OT here, but in my experience a heat controller is an absolute MUST. I've ridden with my Heat-Troller turned all the way off when it wasn't cold enough to need electric heat, but I have never needed to ride with it turned on full blast. Partial heat has always been enough, even down into the high 20's to low 30's. I would not recommend a simple toggle switch, even a two-stage toggle switch.

Tourmaster. Comes with the controller, so that is one less expense you will need. Quality is great, fit and finish too. Heated collar. I've used mine in 30 degree temps and stayed toasty warm, only once using the medium setting. See my ride report for the pics of the snow day.

I have the tourmaster liner as well as gloves and I have ridden here in Maine down to 21 degrees. Had to have it on high for that ride but commonly ride when in the 30's. Since I got this gear it has added 6 weeks to the riding season. Quality is great. I use the liner underneath my Joe Rocket Meteor jacket.

First Gear's 'heat troller' will work with Gerbings' clothing. Tour Master's is for their own clothing only. First Gear/Warm n Safe heating elements are warrantied for life, do not know about Tour Master. The First Gear is really 'un-bulky'--from the looks of the TM vest, the jacket could be a little more bulky than the FG. Hope this helps.

Why have you rejected Gerbings? They make absolutely superb jacket liners, pants and pants liners, even socks and gloves. Plus they stand behind their product amazingly well. All the pieces interconnect as well so you only have one plug. But they are pricey.

I apologize for getting a little OT here, but in my experience a heat controller is an absolute MUST. I've ridden with my Heat-Troller turned all the way off when it wasn't cold enough to need electric heat, but I have never needed to ride with it turned on full blast. Partial heat has always been enough, even down into the high 20's to low 30's. I would not recommend a simple toggle switch, even a two-stage toggle switch.
I run an on off switch on my Widder vest. Never needed to dial the heat down.

I dont have any heated jackets, used to have a heated vest/glove set from gerbing.

I do have a First Gear riding Jacket (Pilot Series), and a Full Perforated Tourmaster (A Vanson look-alike). The First Gear Jacket is probably 15 years old now, and is still like new, the Tourmaster is about 4 years old and though there have been no zipper or snap failures, the jacket looks older and doesnt seem to have held up as well.

Overall, I think both products are well made, with price point going to Tourmaster, and Quality to First Gear. I also have first gear wet weather riding suits for the wife & I, & a great tank bag (10+years) you pay a little more, but it is designed well, holds up over time, and performs as needed.

IMO, you cant really go wrong with either brand. But back to heated gear, I'd steer you towards a heated gerbing vest & gloves, maybe arm and leg warmers too if you really need. YOu can then wear them under any jacket/clothes you want. If mine werent stolen, I'd still have them :blink:

Latest posts